LegacyGT.com

Outback / Legacy Lineage?

Hi,

I'm about 2 weeks away from my final car decision.

I really like the (2007) XT, but it seems like there are more performance parts for the Legacy (historically)

Here's my question. How close are the two? Are the mild-medium mods (downpipe, BOV, Turbo Upgrades, intercoolers, Swaybars, etc...) pretty much interchangable between the two?

If they are, I'd like the XT for sure, but if they aren't then i'm torn.

What do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know what happens to the Si-Drive feature when you upgrade things like BOV/Intercooler/TurboUpgrades, etc?

Thanks in advance!

They are almost the same car. The OBXT obviously has a different suspension, but it also has smaller front and rear brakes, smaller front and rear sway bars and a few other small differences. But beyond that, they are the same car. All engine mods and some suspension mods that work on an LGT work on an OBXT.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I just bought a Legacy Wagon a couple weeks ago, I'm very happy with it. As near as I could figure out, the only technical advantage the Outback has over Legacy is the ground clearance - which doesn't matter to me since I drive on paved roads 99.99% of the time.

The Legacy is "sportier" by design so just curious why you want the Outback if you're are interested in performance?

The Outback's full name is 'Outback Legacy' so sometimes Legacy means both cars, but I'd always double-check and not assume.

I'm really looking forward to the Cobb AP, but they don't have an 07 model yet. Perhaps the SI-drive complicates things. But Subaru provides upgraded intake/exhaust and that doesn't involve reprogramming, so maybe the ECU just learns it.

I have the OBXT 07 and am very pleased. Is the steering the same on both, I know on the non turbo legacy it is very loose. Fun in town, bad on highway. Don't know about the GT though. I do appreciate the ground clearance, for snow days, and the very light off road I will do going camping or to the beach. I guess a piece of mind. Even in town I don't have to worry about any clearance issues. Good luck making the decision. One more, I think it is more embarassing when you outrun another car and you are in the wagon.

I was forced to settle for the OB XT since SOA canned the LGT 5mt. I have not been very happy with the handling or the goofy ride hight at all. Though I am working on fixing the suspension. I thought it would be somewhat easy to convert the OB to legacy spec suspension. but i keep finding more parts that are different. so far this is what i found.

Sway Bars - currently running cobb sways

subframe spacers

subframe bolts

struts & spring- installing JDM bilstiens soon

control arm plates

transmission cross member

air box boot

I miss our WRX wagon. We did not have to spend a dime on suspension. I should just accept the fact that I am 31yrs old and stop playing with cars.

Dan

I was forced to settle for the OB XT since SOA canned the LGT 5mt. I have not been very happy with the handling or the goofy ride hight at all. Though I am working on fixing the suspension. I thought it would be somewhat easy to convert the OB to legacy spec suspension. but i keep finding more parts that are different. so far this is what i found.

subframe spacers

subframe bolts

control arm plates

air box boot

I miss our WRX wagon. We did not have to spend a dime on suspension. I should just accept the fact that I am 31yrs old and stop playing with cars.

Dan

It is difficult to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The LGT MT wagon is a oner, too bad they stopped making it!!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

subframe spacers

subframe bolts

control arm plates

air box boot

Dan

Dan, to add to your list there are differences in rear lateral links.

The Exhaust on the OB XT is an easy fix I plan to use Megan Racing wagon catback (when it comes out) & trim the underside of the bumper cover or just put some turndowns on it.

lateral links

damn, everytime i look at the vacation pics i find somthing else different.

Dan

subframe spacers

subframe bolts

control arm plates

air box boot

Dan

How are those working for you, Dan? Does it handle pretty well now?

I'm not so worried about ride height as I'm worried about body roll. How are those swaybars help?

I'm pretty much in the same boat (MUST be MT and Wagon), except having owned a modded 325i and an Explorer (exploder), I can appreciate both aspects of handling and ground clearance.

Ok, so sounds like LGT and OBXT share the same motor, so mods are interchangable there, what about the suspension? since the XT has "heavy duty raised suspension" is the geometry different?

As for why I want to mod an OBXT,

1) I want a wagon, 2.5t, MT.

2) I want to go fast (sleeper), but I won't be racing it or doing track days or anything.

3) I still want to be able to drive on fire roads, snow, beaches.

The sways helps but i still think my nissan frontier handles better than the wifes OB XT, though she never complains about the handling, she does complain about the ride hight. please note that the front sway bar must be modified slightly to fit the OB XT. I also noticed that the rear sway makes a little noise on certain types of bumps.

dan

Does the 07 handle differently then the 06. Cause I am pleased with mine. And have a legacy as a loaner right now to compare to. The OB seems well more planted to the ground. Could be VDC, but it is better to me. Just drive both and make your own decision. You are the one who needs to be happy.

The OB seems well more planted to the ground. Could be VDC, but it is better to me.

You must be kinding. Is your loaner 2.5i? Yes, it's somewhat more floaty than LGT, plus it does not have rear LSD like LGT/OBXT have.

LGT stock handling is mediocre. OBXT stock handling is utmost crap. This is not opinion, this is a fact.

Although I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the '07 LGT Wagon in a week of two.

My dilemma is:

The Legacy Outback come with 225/55 17 tires, the LGT Wagon has 215/45 17 tires.

So, would a 225/50 17 tire on 17X8 (Wheel Offset 48mm) fit on the LGT wagon without any problems?

I'm hoping by doing this the tires would fill in the wheel well which should eliminate the need to lower the car.

Yes my loaner is a 2.5i. However I drove both the GT and the OBXT when test driving. No matter some's opinion, I am happy with it's handling. I think to say it is fact is a little overboard. It may not handle as well as a GT, but it still handles great. Like I said, I drove them both at the dealer, not a big difference to me.

I like the looks of the Outback over the Legacy, but there are no aftermarket exhausts/catbacks for the Outback?

Using slightly longer hangers should work.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

You must be kinding. Is your loaner 2.5i? Yes, it's somewhat more floaty than LGT, plus it does not have rear LSD like LGT/OBXT have....

I believe all the recent OB's have rear LSD.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 2 weeks later...
Using slightly longer hangers should work.

So besides that, what about the Downpipes?

Would one made for a Legacy GT (Sedan 5mt) fit on an outback (Wagon 5mt)?

or would it have to be one made for a Legacy GT (Wagon 5mt) to fit on an Outback (Wagon 5mt)?

More tabular form, less words:

Legacy Wagon AT <---NO-----> Outback Wagon 5MT

Legacy Wagon AT <---YES----> Outback Wagon AT

Legacy Wagon 5MT <---Yes?---> Outback Wagon 5MT

Legacy Sedan 5MT <---???----> Outback Wagon 5MT

What's the ??? for 2005+ models?

downpipes are sedan/wagon interchangable. only diff in DPs is between 5EAT and 5MT for clearances.

I have an OBXT with JDM rear sway and LCA bushings. I AutoX it and do just fine. I also blow past everything on the road and make people cry.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

subframe spacers

subframe bolts

control arm plates

air box boot

Dan

So I can't use the Cobb Transmission reinforcer on the OBXT?

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2461

Archived