LegacyGT.com

Outback Exhaust question

This may not be the most appropriate place to ask a question about a 1998 Outback but I don't know where else to go. My friend has a 1998 Outback that he bought new and he's just been told by the dealer he needs to replace two O2 sensors and a catalytic converter... for $3800!!!

I've been searching the Web for after market parts to see what these things would cost but I'm having trouble finding cats for the '98 Outback. Does anyone know if parts for these cars are particularly rare and expensive? Is there a good source for quality after market (not necessarily performance) parts for the Outback? And surely $3800 is an attempt at highway robbery?

This may not be the most appropriate place to ask a question about a 1998 Outback but I don't know where else to go. My friend has a 1998 Outback that he bought new and he's just been told by the dealer he needs to replace two O2 sensors and a catalytic converter... for $3800!!!

I've been searching the Web for after market parts to see what these things would cost but I'm having trouble finding cats for the '98 Outback. Does anyone know if parts for these cars are particularly rare and expensive? Is there a good source for quality after market (not necessarily performance) parts for the Outback? And surely $3800 is an attempt at highway robbery?

I feel for your friend. These parts are not cheap. You may be able to find them used, but that's probably only the catalysts and then who knows how long they'll last.

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com lists the following parts/prices. I'm also not sure which catalytic converter you're referring to so I included them both. All parts are for a 98 2.5L Legacy, which would have the same exhaust system as a 98 Outback:

$91.40 Oxygen Sensor Front

$93.56 Oxygen Sensor Rear

$524.16 Catalytic Converter Front

$307.70 Catalytic Converter Rear

$1,016.82 Total

Depending on which converter he doesn't needs, will be the subtractive difference in cost. Add in 4 hours of labor at $100/hour, and you're looking at somewhere between ~$900.00 and ~$1100.00. If you or your friend are in the least bit mechanically inclined, or know someone who is, then do it yourself. The parts investment will bite, but you can also likely get a muffler shop to put on the catalyst for $50.00 and possibly even install the O2 sensor at the same time for another $50.00. They're not that hard to do - standard disclaimer applies here - I have no idea of the physical condition of the exhaust, i.e., rust, broken pieces, etc., so all time estimates are just that. YMMV.

Good luck and keep us appraised.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks. This is very helpful. Those prices seem fairly typical to me, so it can't be something unusual about that particular year or model of Subie.

I'll pass this link along to my friend with the suggestion that he source the parts outside his dealer.

Encouraged by the prices listed above, my friend called an upper New York Subaru dealer (two hours away) and got a quotation over $2,000 cheaper than his Canadian dealer for the same work. Just another example of how Subaru Canada is reaming its Canadian customers.

Thanks for the help.

Encouraged by the prices listed above, my friend called an upper New York Subaru dealer (two hours away) and got a quotation over $2,000 cheaper than his Canadian dealer for the same work. Just another example of how Subaru Canada is reaming its Canadian customers.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck with it all.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived