LegacyGT.com

Option to get either HTA68 or vf48

I am currently on my stock turbo for my 2005 LGT and the mileage is getting up there. I would like to replace the turbo before it goes and causes real damage. I have the option to purchase either a HTA68 or a vf48. I am unfamiliar if either of them would fit. But I am just wondering your opinion on these. What should I do and what supporting mods would I need for either.

much appreciated.

find out if the HTA68 is a Forced Performance model or BNR. BNR version will bolt right up, Forced Perfromance variety requires a Front Mount Intercooler as it is an Sti fitment turbo. You will need to be tuned with either one. You should also invest in some supporting mods. How much are you getting them for? It would help so as to direct you toward one option or the other, or perhaps a third option.
____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

The HTA68 is FP. So considering what you said, I would need a fmic. I could pick up the HTA68 for around 800 as it is new and the used vf48 for around 450. I was planning on doing larger injectors and better fuel pump. Also with the possible upgrade. Would you recommend doing e85?

There is a thread in the Tech forums that deal with these turbos. You should read that. There's a ton of info there.

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt-2-5gt-2-5xt-12.html

Good Luck with you project.

Is your rare red wagon a 5mt ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree with Max capacity. There's tons of info on these threads. One thing i will say is that if you don't want to go front mount, u can go with a BNR turbo and keep ur top mount intercooler location. Go to BNRsupercars.com.

Thanks for all the great info so far! Keep it coming! @max, no unfortunatly it is not manual. I really wish it was, however, the button shifters on the steering wheel is the best I can do :D

also what do you recommend for a fmic. I would like to keep the fogs and not pay a bunch of money! Opinions on the racerx- don't laugh!

and maybe a moderator will relocate the thread!

If you have an auto, I would probably go with a racer x FMIC. They're inexpensive and u can keep ur fogs. As for turbo. If ur 5eat, I would go 16g or 18g with Hexmod for ur tranny. U don't want to push the car too hard with the 5eat. They've been known to give up when pushed hard. Some people have put up good #'s with them & no problem. Others..... not so lucky.

Ive been using the racerx for almost 3 months now without issues. The only

Thing that ive heard about them is that they have pressure drop across the core, but just how bad it is i do not know. With a hta68 it really wouldnt matter though. I think its a good buy for the money.

I have actually been considering the racer x. People really like it, it seems. What would be a good choice for an 18G. And what exactly does that mean. One other question, I have heard rumors the the racer x fmic uses all the same components as the godspeed IC, is this correct?

IMO if your going with a fmic, go bigger than a 18g. Buy a real turbo, HTA68

I'm guessing you'll do the other upgrades that go alone with the fmic, injectors, fuel pump, tranny kit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

OK time for you to read in the Tech forums now.

ClimberD has a thread about a upgrade to the valve body. I don't have a automatic so I have no idea how it works, I just know you can trust him.

Please try and order your parts from the vendors or guy's on this forum. Guy's like ClimberD has put a lot into making a good product. Guy's at AZPinstalls.com help out a lot for free. Fred Beans give us great prices.

My Tuner http://www.tuningalliance.com is great to work wth.

I have actually been considering the racer x. People really like it, it seems. What would be a good choice for an 18G. And what exactly does that mean. One other question, I have heard rumors the the racer x fmic uses all the same components as the godspeed IC, is this correct?

I don't know who told u the HTA68 would run out of steam up top. This turbo pulls till redline. Look at my graph. Pulls all the way till redline, no dip. Maybe the FP. version may lose a bit up top thanks to the smaller 7cm hotside as opposed to the BNR with its larger 8cm hotside.

859025268_Scannedat9-19-20118-52AM.thumb.jpg.eedc384fc2fbb0a57726cfbe21f6fb81.jpg

Ok so it seems the the hta68 is probably a better buy than the vf48. I will be doing the other upgrades as well. Which are the good items to buy?

Yep, time to read in the Tech forums again.

What like to do is find the Tuner who will be tuning the car. Talk with him, see what he likes and doesn't like. Make it comfortable for him to tune. He has experience and knows what works and doesn't. After all he's the guy your trusting your investment too.

My Tuner likes the FP HTA68, he has been trying to get me to spend the $$$$ for the set up. The BNR HTA68 looks like a nice set up too.

Figure out how much HP you want then work backwards from there on what you need to get there. Make a list and put $$$'s with each item. Then dicide if this is what you want.

That looks like a pretty good chart!

I will be picking up the HTA68 today and then progressively getting the other parts and mods.

Would it be a problem to use the original oil feed line or should i upgrade that as well?

I have read contradicting statements on this haha!

I would think the original oil line will fine, as long as you remove the banjo filter from the back of the head.

Ask the person you buy the turbo from what they recommend. Also ask the tuner what he thinks.

Archived