LegacyGT.com

opinions on this 05 legacy?

slimfast

has 122k

http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/2477901984.html

on the phone guy said lowest he would go was 10k. i would prefer something with less miles but i guess its ok. head gaskets arent an issue anymore with 05 and up right? any other issues i should look out for? any oponions? comments? anything? im gonna go look at it today after work.

That is some high mileage, but the price looks a few Grand lower than a comparable lower mileage variation.

All depends on what you want? To save a few Thousand, or pay more for a less traveled LGT.

I personally would be wary of the clutch as they are known to get toasted especially if the previous owner had it set up for more boost (a la stage 1 or 2) but you could spend a Grand on a new clutch and FW and have a rock solid set up, if or when the clutch starts to go....

The turbo replacement is nice, I'd ask what kind of turbo was thrown in... likely another OEM LGT turbo(?), and if it was a new turbo or a used one.

I wonder if they removed the banjo bolt filter when they threw in the new turbo. Sometimes they get clogeed up and create oil starvation, but that only happens rarely.

Did the previous turbo fail or was it a preventative swap? If the previous turbo had failed, what else was replaced?
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

so went and looked at the car today. very clean inside and out. drives and shifts very smooth. momo shift knob and stearing wheel was a nice surprise. very clean engine compartment. all features/options work as advertised. seats are cloth and heated but not power. no sun/moonroof. pre-wired for sub/amp also a nice surprise.

there is a small area above the driver side rear tire that has been repainted with no clear coat.. its about the size of your hand spread out. also a very small dent goes along with it. not that noticeable but it bugged me the more i looked at it. i didnt think to take a picture of that or the inside, was in a hurry because they were closing.

@joedirtae09 carfax is clean two owners and suggests value is above average. appears all maintenance was done at local subaru dealerships. car has 122k on it but no records past 111k. :spin:

@Gire its a brand new OEM turbo. not sure about the clutch but it felt good. felt much better to shift than my 98 as i expected. also not sure about this banjo bolt filter you speak of..

@Code the old turbo failed, not sure what else was replaced. didnt think to ask. when turbos blow do they usually take other parts with them?

@GotTurboWut the guy told me 10k today not 11, not sure if you still feel the same now.. but wow that seems like a really good deal you got, dont think i will be so lucky!

im split 50/50 right now. i love it! but kinda feeling like 10k is too much to spend on a car with 122k.. then again, it does have new breaks/rotors all around, brand new turbo, new timing belt/water pump. seems its been maintained well which is almost more important than how many miles are on it. i also really liked the momo accessories. nobody answered my question about head gaskets if theyre still an issue with these 4th gens or not... :mad::p

he said 10k was the lowest he would go and he loves the car and he told his wife if it doesnt sell in two weeks hes keeping it. :rolleyes: told him i will see what my bank thinks the car is worth and ill be in touch. surprisingly it books for over 10k even with 122k but book values are not always real world values.

photo(3).thumb.jpg.09d854cf7efbc8ffca883716c440201d.jpg

photo(4).thumb.jpg.b6ed0ce3ec408a55acc94154c3e04eb5.jpg

photo(5).thumb.jpg.ecd7c70c50672cecae4d9a31aee8dd8c.jpg

photo(2).thumb.jpg.42b035571f9cbd182c13772bb6b83aad.jpg

It sounds like all the major maintenance items were already done. Brand new oem turbo is nice too. For 10K, that's not bad. Keep in mind, you're in VT or atleast a northeastern state I assume so that helps the value of the car being awd.

Head gaskets-I've never heard of that problem...

Banjo bolt filter-search it in the 4th gen...I think there's a sticky. Some are dead set on removing it while others believe it's there for a reason. I think it's safe to say if that you maintain your oil/check it every other fill up, you'll be fine. Oil changes at 3k-3,500 are necessary...don't stretch it. It'll be fine.

Turbo failure-past 100K, that's not all that uncommon. Should be fine with the new one for quite some time.

• I Donated
If the previous turbo failed, you may be looking at an engine replacement in the near future it you buy. I am pretty sure my bearing failure was due to a turbo that failed when the previous owner had the car (I can't be positive -- I don't have maintenance records). I'd advise an extended warranty if you buy the car.

If the previous turbo failed, you may be looking at an engine replacement in the near future it you buy. I am pretty sure my bearing failure was due to a turbo that failed when the previous owner had the car (I can't be positive -- I don't have maintenance records). I'd advise an extended warranty if you buy the car.

Good point, purchasing an extended warranty wouldn't hurt, even if it's for 10,000 miles...that's if, no modding is in your future.

no major mods planned but he said it would be sold as-is. its not a dealership just a garage with a few cars for sale. im going to take it to another mechanic this tuesday and see if it checks out.

i keep coming back to feeling like 10k is a bit much for a car with 122k on it but then i come back to the new turbo and other parts and compared to similar legacies it seems like a fair price.

edit: and Gire i asked today about the banjo bolt filter and he said all the filters were replaced.

I personally would avoid any used suby that blew a turbo and is still on the same block/heads. Potential for a 5k motor in the future. But there is that potential with any turbo suby :/
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

wow ok good to know. im curious about the context behind your purchases if it was a dealer or pvt sale and what kind of options. definitely leaning against buying this car now, at least for 10k. sucks cause i like it a lot and there arent many like it in my price range around here.

• I Donated
wow ok good to know. im curious about the context behind your purchases if it was a dealer or pvt sale and what kind of options.

I bought mine from a dealer (independent used car lot). It was already MD inspected, and they replaced the front brakes so it would pass inspection. Non-Limited model with only a couple of acessories. Interior was very clean, exterior had a few dings, and it was a NH car so there was rust on the exhaust and suspension. As mentioned, no service records.

Just checked the ad, mileage doesn't seem to be listed any longer?

mileage was never listed in the ad. i had to call and ask. its around 122,128. odometer reads 22k instead of 122k tho. he atributed this to the new turbo but i didnt fully understand his explaination.

rapture and fulton, thank you

kind of a side thought here but.. if the new turbo brings into question the integrity of the engine.. would a similar mileage vehicle with original turbo actually be worth more?

• I Donated
mileage was never listed in the ad. i had to call and ask. its around 122,128. odometer reads 22k instead of 122k tho. he atributed this to the new turbo but i didnt fully understand his explaination.

rapture and fulton, thank you

kind of a side thought here but.. if the new turbo brings into question the integrity of the engine.. would a similar mileage vehicle with original turbo actually be worth more?

The turbo would not reset the odometer. Sounds like there is odometer rollback too. I'd stay far, far away from this one.

Archived