LegacyGT.com

Any one use a TomTom navi...?

cbroo

I'm looking at a GPS unit, and I dont want to spend $1200 on a in-dash unit and figured I could get some place to fit a move-able GPS unit where my flip out cup holder is. I want to keep my stereo unit stock cause I've had all my old cars excepet this one broken into and stuff stolen including the deck so. Car toys and a few audio places said it could be done, and I was looking at the TomTom Go 700 it goes for $499 not including install. I've read some good things about it, an was wondering if anyone has this Navi. unit and any feed back would be most excellent. Or if anyone has a good recomindation let me know, I'm trying to stay under the $650 mark any help would be great.

Just to let you know... the TomTom 700 is the old model and should not go for $499 since that was the original price. At least get the 710 or better yet get the 910. Fry's had the 910 on sale for $650 about two weeks ago. The 910 has iPod control, MP3 player, and bluetooth.

The Nuvi 660 just came out. It's more money but smaller yet has the same screen size.

actually the 660has a 4.3" screen where as the tom tom has a 4.0" screen i just recently started carrying the 660 at my store and so far i love it but then again i am a huge garmin fan

The Nuvi 660 looks like a winner but at $999 MSRP, it's significantly more money.

Any discounts?

The Nuvi 660 looks like a winner but at $999 MSRP, it's significantly more money.

Any discounts?

I was researching Nuvi and this is a device for "press and go" type of users. Really dumb. No multiple way points (no route planning, etc). To me it's simply overpriced for the features. The thing I liked about it was small form factor.

Luckily there are new contenders on the market - Magellan 2000 series. 2200T is about to hit the stores, 2500T will be available in a month or two.

I am going to try Magellan 2500T. On paper looks nice.

I was researching Nuvi and this is a device for "press and go" type of users. Really dumb. No multiple way points (no route planning, etc). To me it's simply overpriced for the features. The thing I liked about it was small form factor.

Luckily there are new contenders on the market - Magellan 2000 series. 2200T is about to hit the stores, 2500T will be available in a month or two.

I am going to try Magellan 2500T. On paper looks nice.

yea I was looking at the magellans 2000T an 3000T, thats was my second choice I want a GPS that I dont haft to suckchen cup it to my windshield, I was going to make a custom housing so I could keep it near the stereo controls, but there's another that has windows internet access, and is a pda and GPS, I lost the link to it anyone have this one, I've seen a few people but cant find there link

I was originally looking at magellan units too but I read a few reviews saying that you can't listen to MP3's and use the nav at the same time.....the Nuvis simply mute the music when directions are given. That to me was a deal breaker since most times I would need directions would be longer trips where I would want music too.

As part of my job, I have used just about every stand alone navigation unit on the market. Myself and many of my co-workers really like the Garmin Nuvi's, very slick unit, and the interface is among the best I've used. TomTom works pretty well, but I've had issues with the menu system, as well as some industrial design issues with the mounting. All work pretty well though, I'm just nit-picking.

Some of things you need to look for are size of memory for use with navi the smaller and cheaper units are typically not as detailed and dont allow for as much upgrading as well as poi's and waypoints

also features such as bluetooth, sd card slots, battery pack for portability, size of screen, and overall size of unit

Josh

as far as a discount goes if you visit me at my store i will see what i can do

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

I have a Dell Axim X5 and a CF gps reciever. I use iNav Iguidance. I love it. My mom has the X51 with the same software. It is great. I only wish I had a Bluetooth gps module though. That would make life so much easier. But I couldn't beet it 3 years ago for less than $500.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I would also recommend trying to get one with a the new SiRFIII GPS chipset, it's A LOT faster to get a fix. I used the TomTom 700 for 5-10 days over a few months then tried out a Garmin c550 (pretty much same thing as the Nuvi 360 but brighter screen, 2 speakers, and traffic, minus travel features) and the Garmin takes about half the time to lock (30 s vs 60+s) and holds the signal for much longer. It was annoying to be halfway to the freeway before the GPS would lock.

Archived