LegacyGT.com

Oiled Air Filter is bad :(

Last week, the CEL light came on, Autozone told me that was a bad MAF sensor, so I bought a can of MAF cleaner and spray the hell out of it.. The CEL went away for a week..

Today, it decided to come up again, so I cleaned it again, pulled the Perrin filter out (which I think was way over-oiled).. I ran it for like 8000 miles and there was some oil (a lot of oil) on it.. Look greasy and disgusting... I tossed it to the trash and installed an OEM filter.. No more CEL for now :eek:

FYI: I did initially remove some of the Perrin oil as the instruction said.. but I guess it didnt do any good :mad:

I've decided I will go with disposable filter for good, no more "high-performance" oiled filter crap :spin:

• Mega Users
I had a K&N filter long enough to get it to where it needed to be cleaned. I had been doing lots of reading about filtration effectiveness, MAF reading accuracy, not to mention the oil that needs to be applied to them. I bought an OEM filter to replace it. I'd rather have superior filtration and NO OIL. MAF's aren't cheap. There are some aftermarket filters that don't require oil to clean but meh. Going with anything other than a CAI (and then only when it is necessary and tuned for) you're just playing with yourself.

I'm against oiled air filters on anything that has an airflow meter. Its soooo easy to over-oil the filter and can cause devistating results, esp on a turbo car.

When I go for a CAI, I'll use a reusable dry filter, like the AEM dryflow. Used one of those on my Mazdaspeed CAI for my Mazdaspeed3, worked great.

Been using K&N drop in filters for over 15 years and 5 different cars. Dont over oil it.

I agree, don't over oil it, and when you oil it, let it sit for a little while before you put it back on. i usually do mine and let it sit overnight.

i have two cobb filters so im always oiled and ready to go. its hard to tell when the filter is sufficiently oiled. any tipps anybody? ps: i dont use the cobb recharge kit which comes out blue. just some autozone filter oil. i havent encountered any problems yet. ive had my cobb on for over a year.

I have had my Perrin in there for most of my 141,000 miles. I use the K&N cleaning and oil kit. No problems here. By most I mean at least 137,000 of them if not more. My son bought it and put it in for me and took the silencer out of there back in July 04.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

soo the longer u let the oiled filter sit the better? excuse the noobness of my question

I left it to the point where oil wasn't being wicked out of the filter onto the paper anymore. It really didn't take long because I was careful not to over-oil to begin with. The oil in aerosol cans were easier to use than the pump version IMO. Patting it "dry" with paper towels would achieve the same thing.

Summary of what I would normally do:

1. Clean filter with supplied cleaner.

2. Wait until filter is completely dry.

3. Spray filter along pleats from a distance of about 12", both sides. Make sure no spots are missed.

4. Set it on newspaper/paper towels for a while (10 minutes or so), flip it over and repeat.

5. Pat it with paper towels until spots of oil don't appear on the towel.

Step #4 is really done so any spots that have no oil will end up pulling in oil from other areas. Kind of overkill, but I'm crazy that way.

I left it to the point where oil wasn't being wicked out of the filter onto the paper anymore. It really didn't take long because I was careful not to over-oil to begin with. The oil in aerosol cans were easier to use than the pump version IMO. Patting it "dry" with paper towels would achieve the same thing.

Summary of what I would normally do:

1. Clean filter with supplied cleaner.

2. Wait until filter is completely dry.

3. Spray filter along pleats from a distance of about 12", both sides. Make sure no spots are missed.

4. Set it on newspaper/paper towels for a while (10 minutes or so), flip it over and repeat.

5. Pat it with paper towels until spots of oil don't appear on the towel.

Step #4 is really done so any spots that have no oil will end up pulling in oil from other areas. Kind of overkill, but I'm crazy that way.

K&N oiling directions say to oil only dirty side of the filter, not the inside side of it.

Can someone answer me this: If a fabric filter flows more air than a good paper filter, doesn't that mean that it has larger pores?

I can understand if you have more surface area, but if you count the folds and do the math they are pretty close to the same. That means bigger particles pass though the filter and into the engine.

Add it the oil factor and the added maintenance and I think I'll use good paper filters.

one time a long time ago when i was a young little ricer paying my dues i made my own Cone intake for my civic dx :lol: and drove it to school (U.T.I norwood) i went to show my friends my craftiness and when i opened the hood the intake tubing had fallen off the throttle body due in part to me not tightening down a hose clamp and also because i was a jackass making a hot air intake to be cool. I never have and never will live that one down. idk....random post i know but this intake postbrought back that funny memory. the next day i came back to school in my other car (06 cobalt ss) and redeemed myself by laying down a nice posi slab across the parkinglot...then raced an STi from a dig and got spanked :)

If that happens, instructions say to apply more oil to dirty side until you get even color on clean side

The dirty side got soaked doing that. My way worked fine for the eight years that I had the car (98 Legacy GT) and over 100K miles that I put on it. Of course, YMMV.

Archived