LegacyGT.com

Oil / Oil filter reccomendations?

I've just recently purchased an 08 spec B and will have to do my first oil change in the next few weeks.

I've read a lot of subaru propaganda on the internet, they suggest using an OEM subaru oil filter.

Ive always used Mobil I full synthetic in my vehicles but I want the best for this baby.

Any ideas?

oh boy... search search search. You will find hundreds of threads on this site alone answering this exact question, including every aspect of every argument ever conceived... just search, either in the top right or by typing into Google "site:www.legacygt.com what oil should I use" or whatever specific inquiry you have. Have fun, good luck.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I just had my first oil change done and used a genuine Subaru oil filter and Quaker State Horsepower full synthetic. No special reason why, just saying...

If you search you will find a lengthy report on here that says Mobil 1 has inferior wear protection compared to some other synthetic brands, but also there is a poll on the forum which indicates most people think Mobil 1 is the best/recommended synthetic oil. I don't believe there is a big enough difference between any full synthetic oil to avoid purchasing one over another. I doubt there is one oil which can be proven THE BEST.

Here's a partial quote from Subaru.ca's FAQ regarding use of synthetic oil:

Synthetic oil should meet or exceed the specifications provided in your Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend a longer oil-change interval. Also, once synthetic oil is used, you should keep using it and not switch back and forth with natural petroleum-based oil. Oils with a 5W designation are recommended for use in Canada.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

I use Rotella T, there's a thread on here somewhere that discusses it.

I haven't burnt a drop of oil since switching over to Rotella, and that includes a track day and general every day beatings.

+1 for rotella. stuff is great. must have done 40 dyno pulls in the last 3 weeks to get my tune completed and still havent burned a drop of oil

Watch out for becoming the next NOS guy!

http://www.bedug.com/pics/smiley/smiley-nos.gif

Just make sure you aren't this NOS guy from a GSX-R forum. He put this in his gas tank thinking it was octane booster. Haha. :lol:

http://www.0-60mag.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/22oznos-wcap.jpg

Mobil 1, Motul, Valvoline, Red Line, Castrol Germany, etc. In other words, all oils perform the same since everyone agrees about each of these companies mentioned, making awesome oil that never burns up and makes the car run cool? This is based on searches on these forums about what oil to use or what oil is the best.

Here's a partial quote from Subaru.ca's FAQ regarding use of synthetic oil:

Synthetic oil should meet or exceed the specifications provided in your Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend a longer oil-change interval. Also, once synthetic oil is used, you should keep using it and not switch back and forth with natural petroleum-based oil. Oils with a 5W designation are recommended for use in Canada.

Hearsay about this goes around. Never actually read a statement from Subaru about staying with synthetic. I wonder why, since synthetic blends are frequently used without any issues.

:confused:

I'll take their word for it and stick with synthetic for the life of the engine.

If you have and Advance Auto, they regularly run a deal on a synthetic change. The oil type varies, but it's always a mobil 1 filter. Synthetic oil types are usually penzoil platinum or mobil 1. It's usually $25-$30 which is a good deal imo.

Use what makes you happy. As long as the oil meets the recommended API standard and you change it on a 'regular' basis along with a 'quality' filter, you can call it a day.

My personal choice is Castrol GTX 5W-30 with a PL14460 PureOne filter changed out every 4000 miles. The interval was chosen based on a series of oil analysis reports on my oil at various change intervals from Blackstone labs. YMMV.

Archived