LegacyGT.com

oil dipstick ?!

ok, very simple problem : can't read my oil level properly.

last time I brought the car to the dealer because dipstick was reading empty and it was only 2000km since last oil change (Gulf 5w40) and oil was pitch black. the guy said no problem man you read 4L/4.4L so you only lost 0.4L no reason to worry. I'm like ok, how am I supposed to read this thing then.

he says : always use the higher mark. when I got the car full of oil, both sides read full (above full mark). now one side is nearing low level, and the other side is still above high mark. what the **** does that mean. I dont want to toast my engine summer has just arrived and i taped it a couple of times so i want to be safe ...

thx for any tips!

I usually just split the difference, and figure its between the two marks. Regardless, if one side was at the low mark on the dipstick, I would still add some oil just to be on the safe side.

I wait at least 2 hours after the engine was running to check oil.

And yes, one side I *think* is at the low mark, but then again the "sides" of the dipstick are oily since the back is fully covered, so I can say there is oil everywhere, but not entirely, and the "entirely wet" part reads low. I dont know if that clear but ... i've never seen a dipstick like this. all my other cars I could get a clear reading easily (i.e. straight line) but it seems this one is weirdly designed, hence the interrogation.

I want to add oil but again, the dealer said "dont add oil - were monitoring your oil consumption". So i'm like ok ... but a bit stressed :p

HI ! guys i think you should to check your car near garage they tell surely on which km to change oil .If we don't change time to time engine oil . It cause lack of oil engine can seize so . I have request to you just check every month car to near garage .

All the best !

wtf strangest 1st post ever.

The guy is new and I doubt he's from the USA. Give him a break.

OP, if your oil is that black on the stick you need to change it more offen. at 123,000 miles mine stay's a nice dark gold color on the stick.

I alway's pull my dip stick about a 1/2" out and let the oil drain back into the pan. Then check the level after letting it settle for at least 15 min's or as long as all day in the parking lot at work. IMO it's the only way to get a true reading.

For some reason these engines as well as the engine on my lawn tractor, (a boxer style too) seem to keep oil up high in the engine after you shut it off. You need to let the oil settle into the pan.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree with letting the oil settle a bit, it's the only way to be close to true. This Legacy is my fourth Subaru, and they all were weird to check.

When it reads like you (OP) are describing I figure if the low read is still halfway up the range I'm good. Hasn't let me down yet.

I've always had difficulty reading the dipstick, as well. Quite often I'll have a bit of oil along both side edges of the dipstick up the the FULL mark, but there will be a narrow area in the middle of the flat that has no oil on it down to the LOW mark, where there will be oil all the way across. So is that Full or Low? "Low" is the easy answer, except that this has happened to me like the day after I've changed the oil and used 5 full quarts, so there's no way it can actually be a quart low.

When in doubt, I just add a 1/2 quart.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

scooter : EXACTLY, you described it much better than I did! Oil on the sides up to full mark and above, but nothing in the middle until slightly above the low mark. back side of dipstick is fully wet. last time I had this I took it to the dealer and he says only 0.4L missing , which is more or less half a quart, and it had like 2000km since last oil change.

btw, what is normal oil consumption for these? I do some occasional racing when people try me on the highway/boulevards (only 1 speeding ticket so far :cool:) but mostly its traffic and non-spirited driving.

oil consumption could equal blown turbo seal... not sure which one... my roommates STI had a blown seal and they wouldn't change his turbo until he was burning a certain amount of oil every 1200 miles or something... he's an idiot though... sucked oil out of the dipstick hole so he was low on oil and would turn the car on and rev it for 10minutes in the driveway... ya... wonder why your car is burning oil... idiot

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dip-stick-modification-55961.html?t=55961&highlight=polish+dipstick

had the same issue a year or so back and the remedy was to polish the dipstick. it seems to work a little better. if i check it at all warm though its still up the sides and all over the back. if nothing else the linked thread provides some humor. :lol:

I alway's pull my dip stick about a 1/2" out and let the oil drain back into the pan. Then check the level after letting it settle for at least 15 min's or as long as all day in the parking lot at work. IMO it's the only way to get a true reading.

QUOTE]

Guy's, do what I have learned to do ^. After it settles, pull the dip stick out, wipe it, then put it all the way into the little dip stick tube, let it sit there about 3 or 4 seconds and then pull it back out and check the level.

Hope I didn't make that to simple for you.

Normal oil consumption is greater then most other cars. Learn to check your oil weekly and top off as needed. Mine uses a lot my most standards, but it dose not blow blue smoke out the exhaust or leak any.

There's some theroy that it's the way the breather system is set up in the engine, causes it to suck more oil into the intake. I know some of mine is from 21psi without a good tune. 123,000 miles and runs great, I just add oil weekly as needed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived