LegacyGT.com

Oh no's, Got me another one!

Well after switching to Subaru a month ago with a 2011 Legacy I think I'm hooked now .. Cos I just picked up a '99 Outback Limited for a steal! Previous owner ran it without oil and so now it needs a new block; you can see the cam lol, so I'm gonna be trolling this place asking for help on the subie motors cos my experience has been solely with American V8s thus far. Needs some odds and ends and to be cleaned up but in all it's a solid car! Not bad for $500 huh?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302369008.468886.jpg.46b64e4d7fa91482bc4dc44bb0cabd1a.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302369027.089806.jpg.794c23acc8971df1b36b1254aee220d3.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated

Not a bad deal!

If you think about doing a turbo swap in it (popular thing to want in these cars), there is a sticky at the top of this forum about it.

If you're doing a stock engine in it, it will be fairly easy to do. Two engine mounts, starter, 4 bellhousing bolts, fuel lines, a few vacuum lines, and the electrical connections. These engines are VERY EASY to pull out and install. If you're able to do a small block chevy swap, you will be able to do a Subaru swap.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Any 2.2 or 2.5 heads will bolt right up. Its best to stay with a dohc one though. Some heads have different sensors on them though

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

I don't see whats wrong in that picture....besides the engine stamp is messed up. What am I missing? I see "EJ2_" lol

edit - wait a minute....thats not a subaru engine HA!

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• 2 weeks later...
yeah, that isn't the cam,that is a connecting rod, through the block...time to shop for a new motor.

Yeah def not cam, made a mistake on that there in the first post, meant to say crank. But yeah that's the big end of the rod right there! lol

• 3 months later...

Well I've been working on getting the engine out off and on while looking for an engine. It's only one bellhousing bolt and the engine mounts keeping it in. I took off the intake ad accessories and when I took off the exhaust, and was moving it, I had antifreeze pour out of the manifold, lol. Took the drainplug off to drain the "oil" and 75% of what poured out was antifreeze. oh boy! lol

Supposed to be getting a engine hoist tomorrow so I may pull it out and take the heads off. Fingers crossed!

$400 isn't bad. I would go through it with a fine-toothed comb though! Hell, might be worth the time to get some new (over-sized? :) ) pistons and toss 'em in there, too!
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Well the guy found me a whole ej25d engine and wants $700 but seemed like he'd cut me a deal. I said I wanna spend like $500-600 max cos I really didn't need anything else but the block and heads. Saw it today, and the engine seemed like it was pretty clean; ofcourse that says nothing about how it'll run or how the head gaskets are.

Gonna try and get some cash together so I can pick it up in the next day or so. Things are falling into place!!!!

Don't worry about the head gaskets on the engine you buy. The thing is already out and the VERY FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO is to CHANGE THOSE DAMNED GASKETS! :)
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Archived