LegacyGT.com

how often a car is washed, does it matter?

Just like the topic says, does it matter how often you wash your car? I mean more often than not, eg. once/twice a week. My mom is bitching that I'll take the finish off my car. I tell her that she is nuts but i just want to confirm that...:rolleyes:

:lol: @ Heights!

Seriously, though ...

It depends on HOW you're washing. If you're washing properly (two bucket method, proper mitts, proper products, proper paint protection ... etc.) you'll do more good to keep the car clean.

However, if you are doing so haphazardly, using a single bucket, using a sponge, using bath towels (instead of microfiber), etc. then you'll be doing more damage to the paint and could be setting yourself up to early clearcoat/paint failure.

The reason people say "you'll wash the paint right off" is because, especially on older cars with single stage paint, it used to be that when some detailing n00b washed their car all the time, they pretty much rubbed the dirt and grime into the paint, and probably scratched the paint more with their cotton/polyester blend bath towels. This led to damage of the paint, early oxidation, so when you wash/dry the car, you can SEE the paint coming off onto the towels. If it got bad enough, it would work down to the primer or the bare metal.

Study up on detailing in this forum and you'll be in good shape. Once a week is usually plenty ... but as long as you're doing a good job, twice a week is also good. Though to do it right takes a little more time, where once a week should be more than adequate. :)

Good for you ... I'm happy you're pleased with the results ... I'll stick to what I prefer. And I'll continue to recommend it.

The two bucket method becomes the clear choice after you've tried it. I prefer to use white buckets to really drive the point home. ;)

It also isn't ANY harder or more time consuming.

I agree with your Mom, somewhat. Our cars only get washed when we fill the gas tank at a station with a carwash, or when we mistakenly find out too late that the shade tree we parked under had a flock of birds roosting. One vehicle is a 1999, the other a 2003, and the paint looks as good as the day we bought them new. Excessive waxing will cause bigger problems, so wash all you want.

what if i'm lazy and just like to hose down my car at the coin-ops?

=/

I did a full polish and sealant job on the car in November and used a reasonably good touch-free wash throughout the winter. I've now washed the car three times by hand since the nice weather, and the first time it felt like I was dragging the mitt across velcro or sandpaper. It has slowly gotten better, and today I'm going to do a full detail.

Lesson being, unless you are doing it by hand or paying someone to do it, there still gonna be a ton of crap on/embedded in your paint.

Regarding the two bucket method... I was skeptical at first but once I tried it and saw how dirty the rinse water was getting, the choice was obvious. Preventing swirls through this simple step makes the whole polishing/sealing process that much quicker. :)

2 buckets seems like it would be wasteful. We have a total outdoor water ban. You cannot wash your car here. Period.. you can go to automated washes but I have always heard they destroy your paint. After one put a 6" scratch into one of my rims I quit using them. I want to handwash it but I cant and since I dont want to "machine" wash.. I simply dont wash it for months at a time.

I would think it would be bad for the car in the fact that heat+ contaminents cause the clearcoat to soften and the contaminents absorb.

I have opted to find hand wash detailers in areas where watering ISNT banned and have them do it once or twice a year.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

2 buckets really isn't wasteful. I have (2) 2.5 gal buckets. I fill each of them about half way, one is just rinse water, one also has soap.

You wash a section of the car with your mitt, then you rinse the dirt off the mitt in the rinse water bucket, then get suds in your mitt in the soapy water bucket, and then do another section of the car. When you see how much dirt and crap is in the rinse water compared to the soapy water when you're done, you see just how much crap you're getting out of your mitt and off your paint when you clean. It makes a HUGE difference in preventing swirls. No matter what, it's impossible to prevent all swirls, but doing what you can to minimize them makes life much easier when you want to polish them out.

For 1.25 gallons of water, it just seems worth it. You can waste twice that by spending an extra minute in the shower.

• 4 weeks later...
Those high-school fundraiser carwashes are great :wub:

my buddy had a maxima with nice chrome rims he would wash the whole car himself then take it to the cheerleader carwash and make them just wash his rims for him. was F-ing hilarious

I think my stock rims got permanently stained from road grime by not washing them enough. Haven't done a search yet but, soap, tar remover and pain thinner has not completely gotten rid of the residue.

Archived