LegacyGT.com

Are OEM 2.5i brakes retarded?

GTS Jeff

I was cruising along the highway at about 170km/h (105mph) when I needed to get on the brakes fairly hard. They worked, but by the time I hit 80km/h they were making a funny, loud groaning sound. After a few minutes to cool they seemed normal again. Are the OEM pads that easy to overheat? I'll probably need to replace them soon, so what should I be looking at for street use? Don't say HPS, cuz I hate the pink dust from those. Bobcats or whatever?

And wtf is with the pedal feel on these cars? Is there any way to get rid of the squishy pedal? Even my old Corolla felt better (and in fact the only time it felt this bad was when the master cylinder went.) I mean, there's even a squishing SOUND that comes with depressing the pedal in my Subie.

Guest heightsgtltd
Yeah, I find that the brakes over heat fairly easy especially when I have to brake from 100mph+.

Are you posting while driving again Val? :mad:

id go ahead and upgrade the pads, rotors, and lines. Should result in much better feel. The stock brakes suck. Well they dont suck but when you work them hard.......they tire out FAST. Ive had mine in the mtns a few times and brakes were done.....smoking.

• 1 month later...
What do you use? Your feet, Fred Flintstone?

So, what are my options with upgrading the pads on the 2.5i?

Its called "Coasting" Or not putting yourself in that reckless position... why speed when theres a car or obstacle in front of you that will force you to stop anyway? IF you look ahead while you're driving you will never need to use the brakes.

i find them retarded too. no matter how many times i bleed them in about a month they will be going soft as hell. I am suspecting a slow leak someplace, but i cannot find it for the life of me. I already changed the fluid 3 times in the past 12k miles.

Its called "Coasting" Or not putting yourself in that reckless position... why speed when theres a car or obstacle in front of you that will force you to stop anyway? IF you look ahead while you're driving you will never need to use the brakes.

You must be psychic since you know the situation well enough to be so judgmental. Can you tell me which road I was on too and why I exactly I was braking?

Self righteous ass, go find something better to do than validating yourself by making assumptions and then moral policing strangers over the internet.

Archived