LegacyGT.com

Odd Clunk From Rear

I just bought a new '09 2.5i SE 5MT. The car has 2,000 miles. Overall I'm loving having a manual - it's my first one. I'm also not used any "normal" noises associated with the manual gearbox or AWD system.

Whenever I first get the car moving after it's been sitting it makes a slight clunk sound from the rear when:

1) The car was parked for a while in the garage, I back out, drive forward, and a few seconds later I hear a small "clunk" from the rear.

2) I have my car backed into a parking spot (leave the car for a while), start the car and drive forward, and a few seconds later I hear the same small "clunk."

Any ideas? It seems to be related to the transition between backing up and going forward for the first time when it's cold. Also, not sure if it matters but I'm always turning, or just coming out of turning when I hear it.

I haven't had the chance to park the car on the street and only drive forward to see if indeed it's a reverse-forward issue, or just a cold start issue. Thanks.

The spare tire in my 2008 5MT 2.5i wasn't snug in the spare tire well it made this sound until i finally stuffed a piece of foam btwn it and the frame never heard the clunk again. Try that out it could be the storage tray or the tire or a loose article in the trunk.

Well, I took absolutely everything out of the trunk- spare tire, foam insert trays, etc. I left the parking brake off, and my gas tank is only 2 gallons away from full.

It's really weird in that it ONLY happens for the FIRST time I go forward after parking in reverse or reverse out and going forward, and ONLY when it's cold (not driven for 3+ hours).

Also, it's not like I'm moving fast at all when I do this - about half-way through a light acceleration in first gear.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I took absolutely everything out of the trunk- spare tire, foam insert trays, etc. I left the parking brake off, and my gas tank is only 2 gallons away from full.

It's really weird in that it ONLY happens for the FIRST time I go forward after parking in reverse or reverse out and going forward, and ONLY when it's cold (not driven for 3+ hours).

Also, it's not like I'm moving fast at all when I do this - about half-way through a light acceleration in first gear.

Well my friend those are the Facts of Life :lol: Subaru Life anyways :redface:

Archived