LegacyGT.com

Occasional grind when shifting.

pedpro

so... My legacy has 65k miles and recently I've noticed a grind when I was shifting from 3rd to 4th. It shifts into 4th gear but when I do, it scares the crap out of me cause it grinds like as if i didn't press down the clutch far down enough.

That was about a month ago and I really haven't changed anything in my car and grind is gone. It seems like it likes to grind at a very random times.

My question is, I have an extended warranty so should I let Subaru dealership have it looked at? Cause I don't want to have them charge me to open it up just to find out that there isn't anything need repairing...

I have noticed this on my last 2 subarus. I only notice it when I am accelerating quickly and shifting fast. I have chocked it up moreso to me not depressing the clutch fully in my haste to pull off a quick gear change, as I have never noticed this when leisurely driving. And it is almost always from 3-4.... I think the fact that they are closest in the pattern and you are pulling towards yourself, making for a quicker shift, has something to do with it.

Just my $.02

I'm at 68k btw, but have noticed it randomly since the car was fairly new, just didn't think much of it because my last Subaru did the same thing.

I also have trouble getting into reverse occaisionly unless I rev the engine or engage in 1st slightly.....

GT Tuner, so you can replicate the occurrence? It seems to be a random occurence for me, but always when reving hard through the gears.

I can duplicate it everytime I got WOT in third then shift. Like I said, a double clutch will prevent/reduce it.

Absolutely no clash during normal driving, ever. This seems to have cropped up after my last trans oil change.

I can duplicate it everytime I got WOT in third then shift. Like I said, a double clutch will prevent/reduce it.

Absolutely no clash during normal driving, ever. This seems to have cropped up after my last trans oil change.

Hmm.... I'm gonna try to replicate it tonight if I have some open room to rev it up in 3rd, should be able to on the entrance ramp :cool:

So if the double clutch prevents it, what causes it? I'm not too educated on the inner workings of a transmission.

I had this problem with my 07 2 months after filling it with straight Mobil 1 fluid.

2.5 quarts of Royal Purple mixed with 1 quart of Pennzoil synchromesh fixed it.

Synchromesh does not have friction modifiers in it BTW, as some others have said.

just to update, I tried and tried the other day to replicate it, but to no avail. The more I think about it, it usually happens after I've been driving alot, so maybe the fluid is somewhat the culprit.... just glad to see this thread and know I'm not the only one, I just thought my brain forgot how to shift occaisionally :lol:

I had this problem with my 07 2 months after filling it with straight Mobil 1 fluid.

2.5 quarts of Royal Purple mixed with 1 quart of Pennzoil synchromesh fixed it.

Synchromesh does not have friction modifiers in it BTW, as some others have said.

Synchromesh is also designed for transmissions requiring GL-4 fluid. Using it in a Subaru transmission puts the ring and pinion at GREAT risk of stripping out. I've actually seen the direct result of using a GL-4 fluid in a Subaru transmission first hand. I've even sliced my finger open on the newly knife-edged pinion of a transmission running straight Synchromesh.

Save yourself the heartache of literally shredding your transmission to bits, and replace that fluid.

I HIGHLY recommend using 3 quarts of Redline Lightweight Shockproof, and 1 quart of Motul Gear300 75W90. Dump the Redline into the gearbox, then top off with the Motul.

99% of the time, all grinds go away. The remaining 1% have something broken that needs to be replaced.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'd do the Redline/Motul mix. Seriously. You won't be sorry. It's tried, true, and well proven to work.

I can still downshift into 1st gear at 25mph without a bit of issue...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMG-cpWcsNA]YouTube - video-2010-06-10-21-48-04.3gp[/ame]

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

GTTuner, I HIGHLY suggest trying the mix I suggested. You might be surprised...

I've spent more on gear oil in the past month that gasoline! I'm getting some extraS next week, we'll see. If extra S doesn't do the trick the trans is coming out over the winter. I'm thinking something bent, shift fork or possible the synco for 4th is worn. If I drive normal, you'd never know it had a problem. I've hammered this car down the quarter mile close to a hundred times, so wear is really in the back of my head.

I'd honestly try my suggestion before the Extra-S.

• 4 weeks later...
Update here guys. I effing amazed. The extra-S has been in there for 500+ miles, no more grind into 4th, even right up to redline. I just can't believe this. I am one happy dude. We'll see what happens over the next several thousand miles.

I'm not sure which oil fixed mine... The use of the Royal Purple, or the syncromesh that I added with it. Yes its a cocktail and people hate those, but syncromesh is approved for use in a FWD 5-speed transmissions (straight Syncromesh) which contains both a front differential and gears, very similar to our awd setup, so I honestly can't see that causing any problems for me as some have described. There is both a Pinion and ring gear in a 93 Beretta transmission and all they require is syncromesh and I have not heard of one of those striping out.

BUT since I'm doing the clutch soon I figured WTF I'll grab some Extra-S since FBP had it cheap and available to ship again. It was going to be cheaper than me getting more RP and Syncro, so I figured I would just go with this magical oil. :)

To be quite honest it looks almost as thin as syncromesh to me. SO Unless the Extra-S makes it so my shifts are any smoother (probably near impossible with they way its shifting now) I wont notice a difference.

i might drop off my car at the dealership tomorrow. The mechanics test drove the vehicle and told me that there really is some grinding while shifting.

I still have to authorize the tear-down cost in case there are no issues. That would really suck...

I'm not sure which oil fixed mine... The use of the Royal Purple, or the syncromesh that I added with it. Yes its a cocktail and people hate those, but syncromesh is approved for use in a FWD 5-speed transmissions (straight Syncromesh) which contains both a front differential and gears, very similar to our awd setup, so I honestly can't see that causing any problems for me as some have described. There is both a Pinion and ring gear in a 93 Beretta transmission and all they require is syncromesh and I have not heard of one of those striping out.

No. NOT similar to our AWD setup. Not at all. The majority of FWD transmissions, your Beretta included, that allow the use of synchromesh don't have hypoid ring-and-pinion gears. They typically have helical gearsets. See the pics. The first is the front diff, from a Beretta actually. The second is a B-series Honda, and the third a Subaru diff. They aren't even close.

Using Synchromesh in a Subaru transmission WILL destroy the front diff. The only saving grace is that you cut the fluid with something else, and hopefully what you cut it with will be enough to protect the front diff.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/24.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/Picture028.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/P7140428.jpg

• 3 years later...
i have been having the same problem I just got an 08 legacy gt limited when I am at higher rmp it grinds when I up shift from 2nd to 3ed every other gear is fine and down shifting I have no problems. I was told by some tuner friends that is could be my synchronizers and my transmission needs to be re build

Try BAC5.2 cocktail. It works. Been proven many times.

It's cheaper then $1000 + for a tranny rebuild.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived