LegacyGT.com

OBXT full time 12v in rear

Prime Power

Well, hesitant to due this mod since I had back surgery 3.5 weeks ago, but I am too impatient. Found the constant 12v and ground on the wiring connectors to go to trailer harness. Couldn't really reach the back of the factory outlet so I decided to just install a second one in the hole below it. Found an outlet at walmart, it was too small so I just used the plug that came in the care whole on bottom, cut it out to fit around the new outlet and squeezed the new outlet in there. Then placed it in the car. Next I used scothlocks to tap into the blue (12v) wire and the black (ground) wire. Then taped it up and perfect. Now I have a full time 12v outlet in the back. We like it for the coleman fridge we have. I do carry a battery buddy jump starter just in case. This was a easy and cheap mod.

Outlet.JPG.25b159bb846cd44d4778d9eefdd0cf4d.JPG

connectors.JPG.4655d31790a7bbfc2695292f2537b234.JPG

scotchlocks.JPG.40bdee61a12645e4c33cb89f439c2b18.JPG

finished.JPG.07dbbb03b105516b2cb8a5c17fddc545.JPG

Prime Power,

How did you find that cable? I tried to do the same thing last weekend, and gave up trying to find wires.

If you tell me where to stick my hands, and what to feel for, I might give it another go.

Is that the trailer harness wiring you're splicing into? Does this make any difference to the using the harness? I don't want to ruin that bit.

Yes it is the harness. It hurts nothing as long as you aren't using the 7 way adapter and powering something like a fridge in a camper. If so then just use the other 12v. It is under the panel towards the rear. I saw a set of wires and just pulled. That was it. There are all taped. Just keep looking, it should be there. Any more help let me know.

• 5 months later...

I just did this mod-

Thanks for the write up!

Couple things for my '05 OBXT non-limited-

My Black wire had stripes on it, as did my blue.

*** Actually, I had two identical stripped blue wires. One worked, one didn't ***

Just an FYI to some...

Oh, and 20 minutes tops to do it.

Archived