7:00 - 8:00 am

The Citadel

150 Citadel Dr,

Los Angeles, CA 90040

http://photos.readyforflight.com/images/A_2/7/3/1/1372/IMG_9316___P_.jpg

CAMBRIA

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/BeachAtCambria.jpg

CACHUMA

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/photos/santa_barbara_california/images/Lake%20Cachuma.jpg

PEBBLE BEACH

http://www.caddybytes.com/Pebble_Beach_view.jpg

4 those who Don't Know the Meet & Meat.. Meeeting was the Last event held by the 92x Crew & it was Great !!!! so Was the Drive .... I' m the Last car in the Line up & the Only LGT.... Where are my LGT Homies!!!

Here you go. A goal. beat us. North central repn with 29+.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/HockingHillsRun008.jpg

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I guess... if you dont like driving on roads like these

http://www.lateralg.org/roads/sbarbara/332.gif

HIGHWAY 33

Date reviewed - 2/06

Fun . . . . . . . . 5

Difficulty . . . . .Medium

Traffic . . . . . . Medium

Driveways . . . .None

Condition . . . . Good

Length . . . . . .56 miles

Highway 33 between Ojai California and Highway 166 is quite possibly the best driving road in Southern California. While I have driven other roads that have given me more enjoyment of a certain type (high-speed runs, endless tight switchbacks with no traffic, etc.), Highway 33 offers 55-miles of endless variety, fun, and nearly deserted pavement. Only Angeles Crest Highway can match a continuous mountain drive of that length south of Santa Barbara. When you add in Lockwood Valley road as a diversion, it just gets that much better.

Heading north out of Ojai provides you with 35-miles of mountain passes and ridge-running until you reach the intersection of Lockwood Valley Rd. North of that is approximately 9-miles of winding river-valley following roadway and then the final 11-miles of flat-out straights with very little elevation changes that offer very good line of sight.

The great thing about the 33 is the large variety of driving (or riding) styles you will experience before reaching the other end. Starting at the northern end headed south are miles and miles of perfectly straight and recently repaved straights. Those less inclined to obey the posted speed limit can cross this stretch in a hurry. The straights head into the smaller hills that have been cut by the river. The road runs along side of the large wash for about 11-miles but don't think this is a boring straight run. While there are no major elevation changes, this stretch is non-stop twists, turns, ups, downs, and just plain anything but a straight-flat line.

Almost immediately after passing Lockwood Valley Rd. (which runs west towards Frazier Park and the 5 Fwy. at the Grapevine) the road begins a serious attack on the mountains. Don't get behind a slow moving vehicle here, there is no place to pass and practically every corner is blind. On the plus side there is new pavement, and if you get the road to yourself this is a great section (see satellite photo at right).

Once up at the "top" you drop back down slightly and then run across a high elevation valley for quite a while. This section is composed of high-speed sweepers and minor elevation changes (pink on lower map at right). Words and pictures can't do this justice, I was riding this road recently with someone who had never been up there before. It was getting too cold to continue with the sun dropping behind the horizon, but our novice to the area was converted and swore he would be back as soon as possible.

Eventually you come to another hill-climb, although headed south you are now dropping back down from the upper valley. Again you are presented with switchbacks and tight corners, but there area a few places where you can see far enough down the road passing may be possible (but not recommended from a legal viewpoint).

As you get closer to Ojai you will start to see some civilization start to encroach. Watch out for the two tunnels, the southern tunnel especially. It is built over a tight corner so you can't see light out of the other end, even though it is not very long. Your eyes will be trying to adjust to the dark and meanwhile the road is making a pretty severe direction change. Also, just north of the northern tunnel (it's actually 2 short tunnels back-to-back) is a tight corner that seems to always have water and rocks or gravel on it. There is a spring here that keeps this corner damp, so use caution.

Overall this is just a great road for driving or riding. With the recent resurfacing project completed it is only that much better. Watch out for a washout that has the road down to one lane several miles north of Lockwood Valley, the State has put up stop signs and plenty of warning is provided. Rockslides and dirt are a serious concern in the wetter part of the year, but that is nothing new to us. This is a state highway so is in theory patrolled by CHP, but I've seen Sheriff patrol vehicles up here as well. It isn't too heavily patrolled, but holiday weekends might be a good time to stay away.

I've thought about doing this... but just how many miles from LA? :redface: lol

Haha if you have to ask, then I think it's too far for you.;)

Seriously though it looks like a lot of fun. My buddy and I did a road trip this past summer all over Central CA and we drove around there but didn't go past Morrow Bay.

There are sooooo many roads out there I didn't even know about just waiting for you to tear it up!:icon_mrgr

Oh abacuz you sure let the cat out of the bag! Lockwood Valley could be a bit challenging to some who are still new to the twisties. The road surface isn't the best for the most part but if you can put up w/ it and adjust the run can still be very fun. And it seems like nobody uses that road at all. But when I was there in August I saw one section of the road ended completely (turned into dirt), no joke! It was a good thing that it was maybe only a stretch of 50 feet (?).

whatchu talking 'bout ;)

I'm navigator, i dont' drive the itn rally's ;). I'm too impulsive as a driver, and i do far better staring at the map, gps and other doohickeys i carry to get us around ;)

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

whatchu talking 'bout ;)

I'm navigator, i dont' drive the itn rally's ;). I'm too impulsive as a driver, and i do far better staring at the map, gps and other doohickeys i carry to get us around ;)

Mike

:lol: Gotcha! I'll let you know if a WRC team has an opening.

Archived