LegacyGT.com

NO DRLs, Headlights, and Fog Lights.

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT

Suddenly, I have no daytime running lights, no headlights, and no fog lights. All are original and I have never done any electrical work on car. Everything is stock.

The E-Brake switch seems to work, I can hear the relays clicking when I turn the headlight switch to ON, and All the fuses are good.

I DO have high beams and parking lights.

Possible burnt bulbs but with all three situations not working it seems to be a circuit issue.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I don't know how to "check" the bulbs without replacing all of them. Still seems unusual that all the bulbs will burn out at once. I would hate to just start 'replacing' things. Remember the DRL's, Headlights, and Fog lights are not working.

DRL's and headlights are the same

multiple people, including myself, have had the headlights burn out within days of each other

You were right. I took the car to the dealer and both front headlights burned out. They must have burned out within an hour of each other. Suprising...

Apparently, the fog lights only come on when the headlights are on...and if both headlights are burned out the fog lights will not come on, even if your headlight switch is on.

Thank you for everyone's comments.

......... if both headlights are burned out the fog lights will not come on, even if your headlight switch is on........

I'm surprised that Subaru's electrical engineers would design it this way. This leaves the driver without any forward lighting. Not good in an emergency situation.

I'm surprised that Subaru's electrical engineers would design it this way. This leaves the driver without any forward lighting. Not good in an emergency situation.

The majority of the vehicles that roll off the line don't have fog lights.. so why engineer somethign that won't be used by more than half of the vehicles you build.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I did have high beams that worked if I got stuck.

I am going to wait six months and change ONE bulb again. That way there will be little chance that both will burn out at the same time.

^ don't bother. It is a known problem with the factory bulbs on 05 models. The replacement bulbs and those on newer models have a different color ring on the base. By now, all of the defective ones are out of circulation

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived