LegacyGT.com

NJ state inspection... Ugh.

MaStaMooN

So my car has had a Cobb catted downpipe and a bosal up pipe for almost 10 years. Been through atleast 4 inspections with this installed with no problems. Well today my car failed visual inspection.

They had about 4 guys looking at my car with mirrors and flashlights. They even broke out a manual of some sort. Finally they pulled my car up and said I failed. When I asked why, they said I failed due to exhaust/emissions tampering. My car is supposed to have 3 cats and they said I'm missing one. I'm actually missing 2. Apparently this cat count "started 2 weeks ago".

It passed obd2 fine.

So now it seems I have to put my stock up pipe and downpipe on to pass.

Has anybody been through inspection recently and passed with modified exhaust?

Fml.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wow that sucks. I have the same setup but I went in August and passed. Guess I have another 2 years before I have an issue. Can you go to a private shop?

The handout they gave me says I'm going to get a letter in the mail that I have to take to a repair shop or something.

I'm pretty sure the bosal uppipe looks like the stock uppipe so you can't tell it's missing a cat, so I'll likely just have to swap the downpipe back in.

Really think I just took my car in on the wrong day and got a guy who felt like being a dick. I really dont know how much truth there is to this "counting cats" thing. I bet if I had my stock catback on, they wouldn't have bothered to look. I even have the borla catback which is super quiet compared to everything else out there.

Thinking back on it, they did take a long time poking around under the hood. You could get some sort of heat shield welded over the pipe so it looks like a cat. They do sell catless cats too. Could get that welded in.

do you have the stock resonator on? That can look like a cat. Can you swap the stock dp back in by yourself? Kind of a pita to do that every two years.

Thinking back on it, they did take a long time poking around under the hood. You could get some sort of heat shield welded over the pipe so it looks like a cat. They do sell catless cats too. Could get that welded in.

do you have the stock resonator on? That can look like a cat. Can you swap the stock dp back in by yourself? Kind of a pita to do that every two years.

What stinks is I just had the clutch done a few weeks ago where they hadda drop the downpipe, could have worked it into that somehow..

I dont think a downpipe is that tough of a job, but I think now that it's failed, it needs to be fixed at an authorized repair place or something.

I'll have to wait n see what the letter says.

So you're supposed to have a cat in the up pipe to pass inspection and potentially destroy your turbo. Thanks Subaru. :mad:

ftfy

I never had any problems passing inspection with my perrin 2 pc catted downpipe (which is FS) and my catless perrin up. They can't get a good look at the up, especially if you have the engine tray.

ftfy

I never had any problems passing inspection with my perrin 2 pc catted downpipe (which is FS) and my catless perrin up. They can't get a good look at the up, especially if you have the engine tray.

Think they checked out my uppipe from inside the engine bay. I have the engine tray installed. I bet they were mostly concerned about the downpipe honestly, the bosal uppipe looks like a stock piece.

Stock - http://www.sonicswitch.com/vin/uppipe

Bosal - http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70515&d=1247421323

Ive never had problems with the cobb downpipe either, till this time.

ha, i used to go to the NJ state inspections completely catless multiple times and pass inspection. you got some zealous inspection workers this time around. Luck of the draw i guess.

odds are if you go back and have it re-inspected without changing anything, they may pass it lol.

ha, i used to go to the NJ state inspections completely catless multiple times and pass inspection. you got some zealous inspection workers this time around. Luck of the draw i guess.

odds are if you go back and have it re-inspected without changing anything, they may pass it lol.

Ive thought about it, but now I believe I have to wait for some sort of paperwork to be mailed to me. Think all of this stuff is tracked now vs the good ole days where you could buy a sticker from 'cool' garages.

Do you have the stock heat shield on your dp by the turbo? That makes it somewhat obvious too if you dont especially if you can see the manufacturer tag like on my CNT.

BTW which inspection station did you go to?

I had replaced a cat on another car due to failed emission s. I had to show a receipt with the part. They also wanted to see a receipt from the repair facility. I told them I did it myself which they didn't like. I had to plead my case with the supervisor before they passed me.

Do you have the stock heat shield on your dp by the turbo? That makes it somewhat obvious too if you dont especially if you can see the manufacturer tag like on my CNT.

BTW which inspection station did you go to?

I had replaced a cat on another car due to failed emission s. I had to show a receipt with the part. They also wanted to see a receipt from the repair facility. I told them I did it myself which they didn't like. I had to plead my case with the supervisor before they passed me.

Yeah the stock heatshield is on there.

Went to the Lakewood NJ inspection station on Route 70.

Ill be very annoyed if they wont let me pass with a self reinstalled downpipe. Not going to spend a wad of cash for the downpipe shuffle.

Getting a fail at inspection is such a headache in this state. I always swap my OE turbo back on for the occasion . Don't want to tempt some guy into looking deeper past the OBD plug.

The cat count thing is new to me. Maybe worth mentioning on here if the next member goes thru inspection soon.

Ok, so I put my stock downpipe back on.. Do I flash back to stage 1 or stock or just take it easy and leave it as its flashed now. If I reflash I have to drive for a few days to ready the system in case they hook me back up to the obd2 check.

If I leave it as it is, I can run to the inspection, pass, then come home and swap the pipe back out.

Edit.. I also have a perrin tmic and catless uppipe, JIC that would force me to stay with an aftermarket flash vs stock.... I really don't want to go back to a stock flash and gimp my car for a few days. But I don't wanna do anything that will cause more problems with my car.

Uodate:

Got reinspected today.. Took my paperwork, pulled my car up, plugged into obd2 check, pulled my car up.. Passed. Not once did they look under the hood or under the car. I even have a nasty exhaust leak between the downpipe and cutback due to missing donut gasket. Didn't phase them.

So don't be so quick to swap out your downpipe before inspection.. I think my first experience was a fluke, the boss must have been there that morning or something.

No ramps, just jacked up the passenger side as high as possible after unbolting the top few bolts.

Much easier than I thought. Replaced my downpipe gasket and donut gasket when I reinstalled the Cobb downpipe. Stealership costs on them are crazy, I'll make sure I get them online in the future.

• 1 year later...

Archived