LegacyGT.com

A Nice Sized Door Dent

Bdubs

Well, I was on vacation this week, and I've been blessed with this sucker on the side of my car since Tuesday. Someone slammed a door into me in a parking lot. I figured it wouldn't be much to fix, a few hundred dollars.

Well, I was wrong. Bodyshop estimated over $1000 to fix, due to having the dent right in the middle, meaning both rear and front have to be blended. So, I ended up going through Insurance. $500 ded. and a free rental car, I guess isn't so bad.

The only good thing is that door had a small puck in it and a light scrape from another door ding, so at least it'll look better than it did...I hope.

I have yet to own a car that hasn't needed body work in some point of its life.

IMG_1315.thumb.jpg.e0addcec4ba5300faf44660742ead5bb.jpg

IMG_1316.thumb.jpg.28755c4b8c0090960940e084a46e82ea.jpg

how about dent dr, or something?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

dent wizard and the such dont like messing with creases...too hard to restore the edge. also, if the paint is broken or otherwise scraped beyond rubbing out, the mark would still be there. sorry to hear about this one!

i just wish one day i could see someone doing this to someone...

Yeah, unfortunately it is right on that crease, so best recommended fix is pull it out bodyshop style. I got an opinion at the dealer while I was in for service today.

Plus, you cant really see, but there are surface scratches under the dent all the way down that would never buff out. Whoever did this just didn't tap my car, it had to have taken some serious muscle.

http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-dents-quickly-and-cheaply

[ame=http://www.viddler.com/explore/clint357/videos/38/]Viddler.com - dry-ice-dent-removal - Uploaded by clint357@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.viddler.com/player/f655416a/@@AMEPARAM@@f655416a/[/ame]

http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_dents.html says dry ice doesn't work

IBOCDetails

This Space For Rent

I had someone hit me last fall sometime and leave a good size dent and big scratches on my front left fender so I get to look forward to spending 1000 dollars on that when I pull her out this spring. I really wish I could see someone do it. Even if I see someone hit someone else in a parking lot I write down their license plate and stick it under their windshield wiper with a note saying what happened. That stuff makes me angry

I wish the Subaru paint wasn't so thin. There are scuffs right down to the primer, especially after I removed the black paint transfer.

If there weren't any scuffs, I would've done the dent removal way.

Dent Wizard.Here's the one they fixed on my 05, couldn't even tell when he got done. If they're good it can be done.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42127&d=1188956779

you got lucky as well, your paint was in tact. that isnt the case with the op. i believe he stated earlier that his paint is scraped up pretty bad. that guy was a magician if he fixed that one on your car...great job there.

you got lucky as well, your paint was in tact. that isnt the case with the op. i believe he stated earlier that his paint is scraped up pretty bad. that guy was a magician if he fixed that one on your car...great job there.

His looked like paint transfer (not a very good pic though), which I had, but cleaned it off prior to the pic.

I also heated up the area with a heat gun prior to him starting. Once he told me the silver paint has a chance of cracking I decided to heat it up.

I agree this guy was a magician, and a good one!

I have an after pic but I couldn't find it.

Car went into the shop today. Luckily, it's only a 2-3 day job.

Enterprise found me a comparable car (or thats what they told me BEFORE they picked me up.) Lady comes to pick me up, and I say, "Wow, for a second I thought this was what I was getting!" She laughed, and said "Well, it is!" :rolleyes: I tried to fight it, but they claim all sedans or small SUV's are rented.

How comparable is an 07 Chrysler Town & Country to an AWD sedan? I'm still trying to find some similarities here.

So, anyone need to haul a crapload of stuff, or a bunch of kids? I have unlimited miles. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Had the car back for a couple weeks now. For a repaint job it is pretty good I suppose.

My attention to detail is crazy, so of course I found problems with it. Small run near the handle, molding doesn't look like they used durable adhesive. The only real problem I have is the techs must have had a problem getting the interior door panels off, because I have pry marks on the panels, and it looks like shit. Also, the rear door sounds like something is clanking around in there, I'm going to have to take the panel off and check it out.

And to think if people just had respect for other people's property I wouldn't even have to be worrying about this crap.

door rattles are fun...i was missing a push pin and the arm rest screws to a piece of plactic that screws into the inner door. what does all that mean??? RATTLES! even with the screw tight there was still play there that ended up a rattle. i ended up replacing five push pins and using 2 way 3m tape bn the inner door and the plastic piece to the arm rest to stop it from rattling. good luck. got a pic of the repair job?

Archived