LegacyGT.com

Newbie exhaust, brake, tuning questions

Just sold the Audi 2000 B5 S4 and bought a Legacy 09 GT Limited Automatic w 2500 miles. Getting ready to buy some goodies:

1. ordered a K&N dropin

2. Want downpipes and catback exhaust -suggestions for systems? Does SPT system reduce warranty aggravation? Can get a magnaflow catback w free shipping for $600 - good product/deal?

3. Will get Cobb tuning access port

4. Want to upgrade front rotors and pads - suggestions

5. boost controller and gauge suggestions? OEM boost gauge worth the $

Any other must have's? Don't have the coin to go for a bigger turbo or TMIC. Is the diverter valve upgrade worth the extra$

Advice appreciated

SPT definitely lowers warranty problems especially if its installed at your local stealership! Downpipe and a TUNE is great! pads - hawk HPS for DD, ROTORS - Brembo clears. I'm planning on buying a magnflow soon for 525 at Performance Peddlers! I started a thread on this a while back

The Performance Peddlars website shows no product:

Search Results Searched forProduct Type:Exhaust SystemManufacturer:MagnaflowVehicle Year:2009Make:SUBARUModel:LEGACY

Sorry, No matching records found in our Application Guide

My dealership doesn't care if you have a magnaflow, borla, megan, SPT, etc cat-back. I bought the SPT when I got the car new (major discounted price) . . . if you're curious what the SPT sounds like, here ya go:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_bRkas1xSU]YouTube- Legacy GT w/ SPT cat-back[/ame]

For the most part, dealerships won't care too much about a CBE system. Air intakes and downpipes might be a little trickier depending on the dealership. Some are more lenient on upgrades than others.

I did a lot of asking the last time I was in because I'm looking at doing some suspension and exhaust upgrades and don't want to void my warranty. So I would make sure to check with your dealership/warranty company before pulling the trigger on some of those upgrades.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Just sold the Audi 2000 B5 S4 and bought a Legacy 09 GT Limited Automatic w 2500 miles. Getting ready to buy some goodies:

1. ordered a K&N dropin

Advice appreciated

dont use the drop in untill you are ready for some sort of a tune other than cobb ots. The filter will actually cause problems for your engine.

1. ordered a K&N dropin

2. Want downpipes and catback exhaust -suggestions for systems? Does SPT system reduce warranty aggravation? Can get a magnaflow catback w free shipping for $600 - good product/deal?

3. Will get Cobb tuning access port

4. Want to upgrade front rotors and pads - suggestions

5. boost controller and gauge suggestions? OEM boost gauge worth the $

Any other must have's? Don't have the coin to go for a bigger turbo or TMIC. Is the diverter valve upgrade worth the extra$

Advice appreciated

Here's the cheap skate group consensus:

1) paper filter is good through stage 1. You can run an other Drop in like the AVO, or K&N but tune for it is best... See stage 2 tune advice below. CAI, stay away from SPT. Cobb is easiest to tune to and is predicable for an aftermarket CAI. Obviously would effect your warranty, though.

2) DP: gut your first stock cat. Makes everything look stock ;-)

CBE: SPT is good, and fits. if you got the cash (or subiebucks are even better) go for it.

3) Tactrix cable and Infamus1 Tune to stage 2. Better map more power, less money.

4) Hawk street pads are good, some still feel the cold stop is not that great for a street pad. Stock rotors are good, esp with 2500 miles on them. Unless you want bling keep the stock rotors till they wear out...

5) You don't need a boost controller, esp if you like your warranty. Boost gauge: You get what you pay for...

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

i love my Magnaflow CBE. only one i would get rid it for is the SPT as it is a Subaru part, it gets less of a hassle from the cops.

if your looking for a downpipe, i have heard very good things about ERZ, but for warranty purposes, i would suggest just clearing the cat in your stocker. though my 3" catless Perrin is pretty sweet.

also running oem subaru rotors and Hawk HPS pads with stainless braided brake lines on all 4 wheels. MUCH MUCH better than stock.

a buddy bought a Cobb AP V2 $600 for his WRX, and did not like how it made his car run at all.

i bought a Tantrix Openport 2.0 cable for $100, Infamous1 tune $150, i am about to go flash the base map and datalog, sending him the results for an adjusted map. much cheaper than an AP

i was very pleased with my k&n drop in filter, but yes they are right, you will need some kind of tune.

just think about going stage 2 for now. very fast for how little actually needs to be spent to achieve it. i was very happy with it, even with the oem tmic. now i added a fmic and k&n typhoon intake, along with an Infamous1 tune, i know it will be great

i am also running a prosport blue series electronic boost gauge. works great.

for what its worth:

also look into upgrading your uppipe

Almost forgot, take all the money you just saved and spend it some

place like this:

http://www.rallitek.com/suspension1.html

SPT makes a lower brace, which would be warrenty safe.

Also keep an eye on your LCA bushings, have them check at the oil changes. There are some subaru replacements that would be better when yours start to go. Whiteline and AVO make some too.

Rear Sway bar brace?

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

yes, very good point. from all the money you have saved. definitally look into upgrading suspension. keep an eye on the group buy classifieds, as you can get great deals on new parts to help save even more money to put towards something else.

i would start with sway bars, endlinks, rear sway brace, and either lowering springs with new shocks, or preferably full coilovers

I agree with the posts here already. For brakes just do Hawk pads and lines/fluid for now. Infamous tunes are way better and cheaper than an accessport/stock Cobb map. You do need the cable and some downloads but totally worth it. He tuned with my AVO panel filter . Not a bad idea to gut the DP, My dealer gave me problems when they saw I had an Invidia DP. Magnaflow CBE rocks, It maybe a tad loud for some . I love mine. Stage 2 will make you quite happy (at least for awhile)

Catless DP - http://www.erzperformance.com/product_p/2008erz-legacy.htm

CBE - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Legacy-GT-05-07-Dual-Catback-Exhaust-Hi-Power_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414cf4554aQQitemZ280463955274QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Tune - tactrix cable & Infamous1 tune http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Boost gauge - ProSport matches pretty well with the stock gauge cluster (PM vendor for a great price) http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61701

Don't waste you money on a Cobb AP. I regretted buying mine then sold it for a loss and got dyno tuned for less than the cost of the AP.

For brakes, I will be going with DBA slotted rotors and Hawk hps pads. http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-924/FBP-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

So, for about $1k total, you can have a very nice stage 2 set-up.

After all that, then you can look into front and rear sway-bars.

My dealer hasn't given me any problems with warranty claims with my mods. I even had my trans rebuilt twice while at stage 2.

There are two different versions of the Invidia DP - with and without cats. Each version has a manual and an auto trans version so there are 4 different part #'s. Verify your part # for your application on the Invidia USA website and then look for a discount: should be under $525 + shipping

A Subaru tuner in Connecticut is offering a Cobb Access Port (chip) with a dynotune for $850.

Has anyone actually ran this exhaust setup? I am curious as to what it sounds like..

m sprank is running that setup. I am running the CBE and love it. I am running a catted Invidia DP and will be buying the ERZ catless soon to replace the Invidia for no real reason other than to go catless.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127753

Thanks for all the advice. DBA slotted rotors and Hawk hps pads arrived today. Will hang on to the stock rotors and pads for when I sell thr car down the road.

The Cobb AP and Dynotune for $850 was too hard to pass up

For now I will just do the Invidia DP and leave the rest of the exhaust stock.

Will install the K&N drop in whenI get the dyno tune and I am done

• 2 months later...
If only there was a catted 3" SPT downpipe!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived