LegacyGT.com

New Nokian WR G2

jim1969

I bet that is an incredible tire. It looks more like the Hankook Icebear which is a great tire. We have the old WR on our Honda minivan and it is super nice in the rain/snow...which I guess we will be seeing a little snow today. I would assume that Nokian is not taking a step backward so that is probably a sweet ride.

I may get these - I had WRs on two cars and they were very good. This one should be even better for dry roads and still hold it well on snow.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I hope they are as well balanced as the WRs across dry, wet, and snow. That is, I hope they do not improve snow performance at the risk of reducing dry performance. I love the WRs because they are a ball to run in the dry - and have excellent performance in the snow as well. I took my GY F1s off already (early I know but it was convenient) and I do not regret it a bit. I've had a ball running the car with the WRs...even with temps in the 80s. Terrific tire.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Looks a lot like the Hankook tire. I know many people who love the hankook and it always does well in testing. I bet this WR kicks ass just like the old WR...but better.

http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/Hankook/hankook_icebear_w300_lg.jpg

They don't look like they will handle standing water as well...

the old WR's were second only to Goodyear F1's IMHO. I've owned many tires over the years and the WR's made RE92's seem like slicks in standing water.

as good as WR's are, the dry performance for me was subpar. I ran them on our MINI cabrio....still too much wheelspin in the white stuff and in summer, it makes driving less fun.

I have both GY F1s and WRs. I personally think WRs have edge over F1s in wet. In dry they have like 80% performance of F1s. Indeed I think in snow they disappoint a bit, although I have never driven a car with true snow tires. However I expected better traction. Anyway, I think WRs are still incredible do-it-all tires.

EDIT: not that GY F1s are the end of the world. In fact they are subpar to RE070 in both dry and wet traction, however RE070s are of no use in deep water....

I love the WRs because they are a ball to run in the dry. I've had a ball running the car with the WRs...even with temps in the 80s. Terrific tire.

Wow! I wonder if I got a bad set then. The sidewalls seem really soft to me. I had them on all of last winter and well into the spring. I put my RE92's back on so I could kill them off this summer and they felt quite a bit stiffer. Just more responsive to turning inputs.

I like the look of these new WR's as well. Guess I'll have to wait until I wear out these older one's. Should be in about 20 years! :lol: :lol: :lol:;)

Cheers!

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
I can't find these any place in 215/45/17 around Boston... Anyone have any leads? Online, any place?

The place I used to get my WRs from before said the new WR won't be available until late this year at best. Place is Hamel's Tire in Cumberland, RI.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived