LegacyGT.com

New JDM HID Headlights Installed!

Hey guys, just received my JDM lights and was quick to install them. They came from Japan with stock Philips 4300K bulbs. I will be installing Philips 6000K bulbs when they arrive.

Take a look!

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/stoggy95/jdm_lights_1.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/stoggy95/jdm_lights_2.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/stoggy95/jdm_lights_3.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/stoggy95/jdm_lights_5.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/stoggy95/jdm_lights_4.jpg

hey nice lights! Hows the fitment(like body lines) i heard some of the lights dont fit correctly n will leave gaps? could i see a close up of one of the lights.. i really like them, i will get some if they fit perfectly, i know there are some out there. thanks.

I bought them on eBay for $250 shipping included. The grill I made myself over the summer. In terms of light pattern, yes, I am aware RHD and LHD are different but since Subaru never put OEM HIDS in any of the lefty Legacy BE's anywhere in the world if I wanted OEM HID's I had no choice. Besides, the light pattern and output is phenom compared to any halogen or illegal HID 'conversion kit' in a halogen reflector.

These are the AC type headlights. They fit perfectly with NO modifications to the rad supports, fenders, etc. There are others such as the RSK and Kouki lights that do require mods as well as a new bumper, hood and grill. There are NO gaps anywhere they fit and look like stock.

I'll try to get a shot of the light pattern.

why would you want OEM HID's?

most aftermarket ones are better in terms of light output. i mean they look good and all that but if you had GT/outback lights just stick a HID kit on that and you'd have proper light pattern and much better light output for a fraction of the cost.

If you're referring to installing a conversion kit, ie: 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts...then you are absolutely incorrect. A halogen reflector WILL NOT produce an acceptable light pattern. Reflector type headlights are designed with the position, intensity and wattage of the light source in mind. Not only are conversions illegal, they are not safe. There's no way you can prove to me that this is a good idea.

If you are talking about a projector retrofit then yes, that is the ultimate solution. Very expensive but the results are outstanding.

If you're talking about adding additional HID AUX lighting then yes that is also a solution, however I don't want bulky lights on my front bumper.

reflector is actually designed around the bulb so if you get the same type bulb only in HID your pattern will not change. the only time its illegal and wrong is when people stick HIDs in single beam housing thus running highbeam HIDs. but like i said Gt/outback lights have separate hi/lo reflectors by placing the right bulb in your lo beam reflector you will have the proper beam pattern. The lights that you bought also come in standard halogen bulb on lower package models with identical reflector that kinda makes your point invalid.

Read this:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I'm not even going to argue with you. You clearly need to inform yourself about the realities of lighting before you start throwing out incorrect information. People on this forum are here to get trusted, valid advice and opinions. Your answers are 100% incorrect and should not be taken otherwise.

My point IS valid and I dare you to prove me otherwise.

A lot of people refer to this Daniel Stern person - does anyone have any background information on him? Resume perhaps?

Just trying to understand what makes him the authority.

He has valid points in wiring relays to lights for voltage drop offs and such, and those are good (nothing novel though, as relay kits have been around a while).

The reports he has linked on his site are tests done with fluted lenses without caps at the end of the bulb to reduce glare and mis-focused light. This is because 9004's have a painted end to prevent that.

Howver, with newer clear (non-fluted lenses), they have caps on the end, and provide a reasonable cut off, similar to the incandescent bulb they replace.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

the lights you just installed in your car made by subaru use identical reflector to the halogen ones. the rev D light i have made by subaru are non-hid and use the same reflector as hid ones. So if subaru thinks its ok to do it why wouldnt you? in that article you linked they showed a car with single beam housing which is stupid to do as i said before. Halogen reflector will produce proper light output if paired with the proper HID bulb. Its not a simple bulb replacement you do have to re-aim the reflector to aim in the right direction. Oh and that ILLEGAL bs you can drop right there, you ARE blinding oncoming traffic with the wrong pattern. Even if you adjust them all the way to the right it will still be wrong. Unless you black out the piece of the reflector that specifically illuminates signs, yes there is a one particular piece that you need to black out and it can be done. after that you wont blind oncoming traffic but you will still have the dead zone (curb, signs, pedestrians, animals, etc).

that article is a valid point because a lot of people do it wrong but if you actually use the right parts you'll easily exceed those tests. you however are doing it wrong thus far.

in my first post i was more curious to as why you'd want OEM HIDs not to rain on your parade but more to see if you actually knew something i didnt. Subaru HIDs are known for being on the low side that is why a lot of people replace them with afremarket parts to get better light output. so far i've got the vibe that you mostly care about JDM origin of the parts not their actual performance.

as taken from daniel stern site

"About Daniel Stern Lighting

Daniel Stern Lighting is North America's premier automotive lighting consultancy and supply house. Mr. Stern is an experienced consultant in the field of automotive lighting science and technology, setup, regulation, development, history and modification."

basically he is one of the big companies who loses money with introduction of knock-off lighting products

I'm done. You don't understand optics, I get that. They are difficult for everyone to grasp indeed. Please do not suggest HID conversion kits in the future to anyone. You don't know the facts (or maybe you do but you can't comprehend them) enough to tell others reliable advice when it comes to lighting.

If you don't like Daniel Stern that's fine, but he's absolutely right whether you want to accept the reality or not.

And btw, relays have nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

ok im going to put it to you in the other words then: You just bought a set of halogen lights fitted with HID bulbs by FHI with the wrong beam pattern. But it is OK since they are OEM.

And sure I dont understand the optics that has nothing to do with my original question which you answered already anyway.

BTW if you want that reflector mod here it is not sure maybe you already seen it while you were searching there

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14264&hilit=reflector

Prove to me that you can drop in the 'right' HID bulb into a halogen reflector with pictures and tests showing the light output, concentration and beam pattern and then I will believe you.

I had GT lights with H1 HID bulbs and it didn't work because physics won't allow it. On the cover of the OEM GT lights mine were clearly stamped TYPE 1: H1, TYPE 2: 9005. I dare you to tell me that yours has an HID D2R alternate.

A lot of people refer to this Daniel Stern person - does anyone have any background information on him? Resume perhaps?

Just trying to understand what makes him the authority.

He has valid points in wiring relays to lights for voltage drop offs and such, and those are good (nothing novel though, as relay kits have been around a while).

The reports he has linked on his site are tests done with fluted lenses without caps at the end of the bulb to reduce glare and mis-focused light. This is because 9004's have a painted end to prevent that.

Howver, with newer clear (non-fluted lenses), they have caps on the end, and provide a reasonable cut off, similar to the incandescent bulb they replace.

I'm done. You don't understand optics, I get that. They are difficult for everyone to grasp indeed. Please do not suggest HID conversion kits in the future to anyone. You don't know the facts (or maybe you do but you can't comprehend them) enough to tell others reliable advice when it comes to lighting.

If you don't like Daniel Stern that's fine, but he's absolutely right whether you want to accept the reality or not.

I asked you politely, and you insinuate that I am not intelligent enough to understand why it's not proper, don't understand optics, etc. I feel that you are simply drinking the Cool Aid, don't understand optics, blindly following a website.

I've given credit to a few of Stern's articles, but ask for more information. If you are simply going to blow me off like that, then it's clear that due to your ineptitude and ignorance, you are incapable of simple human comprehension.

Please provide EVIDENCE. :lol:

EVIDENCE!

Where's the PROOF?

Here perhaps?

http://noisydove.com/wp-content/uploads/proof-in-the-pudding.jpg

i dont have GT reflectors anymore otherwise i'd do it just to show you. look at the first pic above there is an endcap inside the light to send all the light back into reflector. Remember optics is all about vectors. since most of that light will come from same area the angles of vectors will remain the same. this all will depend on the specific light bulb. now because there will be more light you most likely will need to adjust the lights a few clicks down and to the right. reflectors inside our lights can be aimed and should be aimed to the factory specs. Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that 99.9999% of people do not re-aim their lights after suspension mods although they should. Physically i cant prove it to you know as i have projectors in my lights that it is possible. But i do know that if you factor in height to the center of the bulb and can come up with the proper formula for where that cutoff line is suppose to be than you can aim them properly. Here is the diagram

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k163/kazantip/lightaim.jpg

If you can't prove it then you have no case. Period. I WILL have pics tonight of the JDM reflectors and the USDM halogen reflectors. They are so far from similar it will make your head spin.

Fact is buddy you can do what you want, indeed, but will it be the right way to do it? NO.

To answer your first belligerent post I bought JDM HID's because I tried putting them in my stock GT lights and the only thing that improved was light output. WHERE the light was on the road was not even close to an improvement--it was a step backward. I took them out and put 100W halogens in..far brighter than HID's because the light is being thrown where it should--not scattered all over.

Yes I know the JDM ones are designed for RHD...I'm not concerned as I have them aimed low enough I won't blind anyone. The REASON for the JDM ones is strictly for light pattern on the road...NOT cutoff or any other goofy reasons you can conjur up. If Subaru made HID's for Europe I would've bought those. I actually hate JDM crap and these lights are the only thing on this car that are JDM. Projectors are the way to go but they look ugly in our headlamps IMO.

You cannot prove that HID's will work in the same reflector as a halogen bulb. End of story. Don't you think if this was the case the big 3 lighting manufacturers (GE, Philips, OsramSylvania) would want a chunk of this aftermarket pie? There's a reason why they only produce 3 types of HID bulbs. There's a reason why auto manufacturers spend billions annually perfecting the lighting on vehicles and I'll tell you with 100% confidence that any knowledgable person will disagree with everything you have said.

Physics don't lie buddy. Its like saying you can swap any 4 cyl boxer engine in our cars without changing the computer, after all, it already has a computer right? Why do I need a different one?

See what I did there? The engine is the light bulb and the computer is the reflector. Each designed for a specific task and nothing else.

As far as I'm concerned you're just trying to get the last word. I could give a ****. I'm posting a mod that I did for reasons you clearly cannot understand. And I would appreciate you having some knowledge of what I'm talking about before you enter the ring.

You don't need to get angry that you can't prove what you're trying to say. I'm a firm believer in learning new things but you have brought nothing but talk to this table. I'm going to prove my end that the reflectors are different.

What are you going to prove? Nothing because you don't have GT lights anymore or whatever. If you got something to prove then prove it. Don't try to look like the bigger man by bowing out. Nobody learns anything by doing that.

lol from what you wrote there is same amount of proof (not that i need it) about your argument as well. second i was having a discussion with you not an argument, if you reread what i wrote in a more calmly voice it will make sense to you.

just because i cant prove it doesnt mean you can disprove it either.

Fact is im not your buddy. and you are doing it wrong (lhd ≠ rhd)

You are not making much sense by aim low, good pattern on the road statement. When you installed them they were close to where light is suppose to go. Now your light is much shorter and lights up the wrong curb. I have a feeling that you soon will discover what "outrunning your headlights" means.

just because you could not adjust your lights properly or bought something wrong doesnt mean others can't do it.

Oh and buddy dont mix up mechanics and optics there is a reason its taught separately.

here is a simple diagram for you where A is center of light bulb or the source and B is the reflector. Then if center of a new bulb stays at A the reflector B doesnt give a flying f*** if its halogen or HID or LED or freaking candle. so physics tend to support that with the right bulb it will work.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k163/kazantip/diag.jpg

ps not trying to be a bigger man, i know i am lol

Archived