LegacyGT.com

new gt odometer considerations

blanston

how likely would you buy a legacy gt with 50-100 (or more) miles already on the odometer when you want to purchase it? i've come across quite a few gt's with more than 50 miles on them and A) is there a bargaining factor for the consumer for a lower price? and B) should i totally avoid a car with like miles because of unknown break-in? thanks for any input

It couldn't hurt to use it as a bargaining factor. I wouldn't buy a "new" car with more than 50-60 miles on it, but that's just me. At my local subie dealer, several of their GTs also had over 100 miles on them. They told me that sometimes on a slow day the sales staff will go out and drive them around just to give the new Legacy model some exposure in public. You can bet that a car with this kind of mileage has been on a few tough test drives though, and you should point this out to your salesman. Tell him you will need to order a car, then he will deal because they much prefer to sell what they already have in inventory.

Mine actually had 260 miles on it, which is the exact distance from Burlington, VT (where the car was) to Saco, ME (where I bought it). They have "an older, more responsible, gentlemen" who drives the cars for them. It still had the white stickers all over it. I never saw the guy, so who knows, it could have been a 15 year old with his learner's permit :)! Chris S.

50 to 100 miles is nothing. I mean honestly I wouldn't have a reservation buying a car unless it was like 300 or over on a turbo car for the sheer worry of people having fun with it. Only time I would buy a new car with over 300 is if it is really rare or a year old model which 300 or over means nothing. Many cars sell new with under 100 miles but its not rare to see 100 to 200 miles. Almost all dealerships use retired old men to do the "swaps." They baby the car better then anyone. Honestly what's 200 miles on a car you'll put 100k or more on.

2017 F150 Platinum EB

2009 SWP Spec B

I think there is mileage that is considered new or not new. But in general I would never buy a car with over 15 miles on it. And my car was brought from anohter dealer but not on the ground.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='powbmps']Mine actually had 260 miles on it, which is the exact distance from Burlington, VT (where the car was) to Saco, ME (where I bought it). They have "an older, more responsible, gentlemen" who drives the cars for them. It still had the white stickers all over it. I never saw the guy, so who knows, it could have been a 15 year old with his learner's permit :)! Chris S.[/quote] From my experience in the car business, it's true. Our dealership had a dozen or more retired people who drove cars as needed. I think it's a safer bet for the dealership too, so that none of their cars gets ragged out.

My car had around 48 miles on it when I picked it up. Just give it a good look over and make sure it doesn't have anything wrong with it. Mine had some scratches on the steering column, but I guess that could still happen to a car that only had 5 miles on it too. But if you are really worried just order one.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I personally wouldn't buy a new car with more than 10 miles on it. I ordered 2 of the last 3 new cars. I'll test drive a car on the lot, then order one.

[quote name='blanston']how likely would you buy a legacy gt with 50-100 (or more) miles already on the odometer when you want to purchase it? i've come across quite a few gt's with more than 50 miles on them and A) is there a bargaining factor for the consumer for a lower price? and B) should i totally avoid a car with like miles because of unknown break-in? thanks for any input[/quote] Mine had like 225 on it. But then again the service manager was driving it so I had faith he babied it.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

i sat in one GT LTD a few nights ago, and the dealer person gave me a ride. the GT only had 4X miles, but he had already rev to 5K+ RPM.... even i was very impressed with the power, but also feel guilty for the next buyer. so... good luck :P

Salespeople will always tell you what you want to hear in order to make a sale. Of course all the miles on the odometer were "old lady slow driving" according to them. Ask any dealer who traded in a used car, and they will always say a little old lady.

Ours had either 17 or 19 (cant remember). But when we were first test driving, we got in one with 38 miles and returned it with at least 15 more miles on it! Funny thing is, we were pretty close to actually buying THAT car, but the next day they dealer traded it (even more miles added to it!)

Mine had 23 miles on it when I test drove it. I was given the keys and told to be back by the time the salesman got off - 3 hours later. At the time I was not considering buying this car. I'm glad I did not abuse it, because I ended up with it. I could have beat the hell out the car and I'm sure many which are delivered with more miles than can be attributed to transport, are beat during test drives. Its important to me to have a new vehicle be broken in by me, with intent, not in a haphazard manner during other's test drives. Some would say that’s exactly how it should be broken in - fast and hard - but that’s a different discussion...

Leased the only new Black Base Model GT Sedan they had. I got it with 120 miles on it. Seeing it is the only one they had, it was probably test-driven a fair amount, but I didn't care because I was leasing it. If I was gonna buy it, I would have probably ordered it. Actually after my extensive research on multiple brands, some with very bad quality standards, I'm appreciating the advantages of a lease that doesn't commit you to the whole car like financing. Also, my commute is 10-15 mins so the mileage limit is on my side. I would only spend cash, on a solid car, e.g. Porsche(Excluding Cayanne), Lexus, Acura, Merc, and last BMW(Excluding 3 series that have various problems). Mojo
I keed I keeed

Archived