LegacyGT.com

New carpet hook pics

canis

Okay okay. Here are pics of the redesigned carpet hook. This hook has been on my car for about 3 months without any problems. I like it much better than the original.

In the pics, I couldn't figure out how to unlatch it. So the pics show it compressed. Basically, the bottom half (flattened in the pics) would elongate, go through the hole in the carpet, and compress, thereby "pinching" the hook to the carpet. Works quite well. Think of a scissor jack for a car.

Phooey. I don't know how to fiddle with the pics to get them the right size/resolution. Any volunteers I can email them to?

The difference is in the attachment to the carpet, not the actual hook look, isn't it?

Nope, totally different part. Instead of being a hook, the new one is more of a cylinder with a ridge on it.

Edit: Thanks ellivnad

• 1 month later...

hey, canis or anyone who could get the new hook, can any of you guys get me one from your dealer and ship it to me?

My dealer just called me this evening and told me that they cant get the part, they keep getting the same old hook.

So please if anyone is willing to help a brotha let me know.

If you could get me a free one that would be great :D if not let me know how much it would cost, I have a paypal account, will transfer money right away.

Thank yall.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know the part number of this new hook? My hook fell off (as posted in another thread) and I went to the dealer to get a new one ordered. They had NO idea what I was talking about even though I had pics of the new one from this thread with me. They ordered the new one, and low and behold (TWO WEEKS LATER!!!!!:mad::eek: ) the same crappy hook that came with the car is what came in. I'm not going to that dealer anymore anyway, since their service department stinks...I don't know about the tech's, but the service manager and the service rep just don't give me a good vibe and aren't very helpful to me. So I've been referred to a better place by someone else on this forum, but they also didn't know the hook I was talking about. Part number anyone?

Does anyone know the part number of this new hook? My hook fell off (as posted in another thread) and I went to the dealer to get a new one ordered. They had NO idea what I was talking about even though I had pics of the new one from this thread with me. They ordered the new one, and low and behold (TWO WEEKS LATER!!!!!:mad::eek: ) the same crappy hook that came with the car is what came in. I'm not going to that dealer anymore anyway, since their service department stinks...I don't know about the tech's, but the service manager and the service rep just don't give me a good vibe and aren't very helpful to me. So I've been referred to a better place by someone else on this forum, but they also didn't know the hook I was talking about. Part number anyone?

Yes I would like to know as well, my hook fell off as well over the weekend.

I had seen that link but unfortunately, as u mentioned, it was not up and running. Thank you very much for hosting the TSB. God forbid the dealer could have found this on his own! Why do WE have to find it ourselves? Thankfully there's a forum like this with people who can get their hands on the TSB's. Thanks again!

Is that the newer new hook? I had mine replaced with a hook that has a green dot on it; does not look like that.

Yes, that is the new hook I had put in my car - it's worked wonderfully for several months now. The other pics/links people have posted is for the old hook the car comes with. Not sure why they keep posting it.

Adam, we dont really break it. The way the upper part of the hook is attached to the lower part is the problem. They keep seperating whenever u take out the mat to clean it for example. The "new hook" has some modifications that keep it there. Thats all.

The problem with the new hook is that it is not a hook anymore, but just a cylinder with a ridge on it.

Now instead of the "hook" coming off, the mat just slides out of the "hook" because the "hook" is only holding the mat down and not backward like the old hook. Therefore whenever any forward force is exerted on the mat by your shoes, the mat moves forward and pulls the 'hook" with it and because the "hook" is attached to the maleable carpet, the "hook"'s bottom is now at a 45-90 deg angle to the horizontal, and that with the forward force on the mat leads to the "hook" sliding out of the hole in the mat.

Even GM does this right. An actual metallic hook BOLTED to the sheet metal under the carpet, now that won't go anywhere.

I'm going to get the set of rubber mats, hopefully they are heavier and won't budge compared to the stock ones.

Mojo

Illustration:

____/\=\---------

^ ____^ __ ^

1 ____2 __ 3

1 = carpet

2 = new "hook", at 90 deg to horizontal

3 = mat

I keed I keeed

Ok, so I got the new hook last weekend. Was in Jersey for something and had time to kill so I looked up the closest subie dealer on my nav. I found myself at Subaru of Morristown. They were VERY nice in the parts/service department. WAY better than the place in Brooklyn. I initially was going just to get some touch up paint to touch up a scrape my friend put on the bottom of my door in the winter (!!!!!) but figured I'd ask about the carpet hook. The parts manager had never heard of the MY05 legacy issue but JUST had the MY01-04 TSB in his hand. He went to check the TSB system and found the MY05 TSB. He said he had not gotten any complaints on that one YET. He checked his stock and sure enough he had ONE new hook in stock. It's literally the same hook but instead of only having a "catch" on the top and bottom, it has a catch lip all the way around the circle on the bottom (anyone who has had the hook off their carpet knows what I mean). They gladly swapped the hook for me and gave me the TSB so I know how to change it (despite already having the TSB from here (Thanks guys!!!)). I changed the carpet hook within 10 minutes but be careful of a few things. The trunk lever comes off super easy. But the gas lever does not since you don't have much to grab it with to pull DIRECTLY forward. So I cracked the lip that holds it on. Oh well...nothing a little epoxy didn't fix. Also, once you have the plastic coverings off to get under the carpet, the metal frame and levers are SHARP EDGED! You have to put so much pressure UNDER the carpet to hold the ring to get the new hook snapped in that I ripped the HELL out of my hand and fingers from the pressure (even with a few rags to cover the metal!). Now that hook doesn't budge!

great news man, its great to see a new hook owner :D. one note tho, y didnt the dealer install the hook for you? Its covered under warranty so you could've asked 'em. And also the document I put shows instructions on how to install, I wonder if it helped?

great news man, its great to see a new hook owner :D. one note tho, y didnt the dealer install the hook for you? Its covered under warranty so you could've asked 'em. And also the document I put shows instructions on how to install, I wonder if it helped?

They would have installed it for me, but I just popped in unexpectedly at around 1 PM without an appointment just looking for touch up paint. So I didn't expect them to accomodate me instantly (as I didn't have time to wait around because I had to pick someone up shortly after). The instructions on the TSB that was posted were very helpful...as they were the same that the parts guy gave me. It's really very simple. Another reason why I didn't want to bother leaving it there with them. Took me less time to do it than it would if I left it:D Thanks again!

Archived