LegacyGT.com

New C-Lights From Diode Dynamics Just Released

Just got a email from Diode Dynamics that they just released new C-Lights.

Heres some of the info:

2015-2017 Subaru Legacy C-Light Switchback LED Halos

Availability: In stock

$160.00

Custom LED for C-Light illumination

High and low power white, with amber

Bright enough to see during day

Professional installation is recommended for this product, as the headlights must be opened.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/24287/s/2015-2017-subaru-legacy-c-light-switchback-led-halos/category/632/

Just got a email from Diode Dynamics that they just released new C-Lights.

Heres some of the info:

2015-2017 Subaru Legacy C-Light Switchback LED Halos

Availability: In stock

$160.00

Custom LED for C-Light illumination

High and low power white, with amber

Bright enough to see during day

Professional installation is recommended for this product, as the headlights must be opened.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/24287/s/2015-2017-subaru-legacy-c-light-switchback-led-halos/category/632/

If you are opening your headlights to install this and you already went with plug and play HID inserts into your Halogen projectors, consider upgrading to a proper HID projector while you are in there.

PS: I installed the DD C-Lights into my 2015 WRX, they are very good, the amber is very bright, the white probably won't be much better than your current white C-light in the Legacy (Legacy C-lights are much better than stock WRX C-Lights were), and if you plan on using them for your DRL I did not find that at full power the white C-Light was up to the task -- I wired so both the DD C-Lights and Fog lights on the WRX were my DRL's for this reason.

If you are opening your headlights to install this and you already went with plug and play HID inserts into your Halogen projectors, consider upgrading to a proper HID projector while you are in there.

PS: I installed the DD C-Lights into my 2015 WRX, they are very good, the amber is very bright, the white probably won't be much better than your current white C-light in the Legacy (Legacy C-lights are much better than stock WRX C-Lights were), and if you plan on using them for your DRL I did not find that at full power the white C-Light was up to the task -- I wired so both the DD C-Lights and Fog lights on the WRX were my DRL's for this reason.

Did u have to oven bake the headlights to open it?i watch 2videos of wrx c lights install one video shows it needs to be put in oven and the other video did require oven to open headlights..

Did u have to oven bake the headlights to open it?i watch 2videos of wrx c lights install one video shows it needs to be put in oven and the other video did require oven to open headlights..

The headlights did not need to be baked for the first round of opening/closing, but I did end up opening them again to do a retrofit to D2S HID projectors and at that point switched to Morimoto Retrorubber butyl to seal them.

Baking isn't a big deal, but if the Legacy uses same sealant as WRX, just make sure they are room temp 70 degrees and you can peel them apart.

The white is not bright enough for DRL, unless you don't care about DRL brightness, the amber uses twice as many LED's and is brighter.

The headlights did not need to be baked for the first round of opening/closing, but I did end up opening them again to do a retrofit to D2S HID projectors and at that point switched to Morimoto Retrorubber butyl to seal them.

Baking isn't a big deal, but if the Legacy uses same sealant as WRX, just make sure they are room temp 70 degrees and you can peel them apart.

The white is not bright enough for DRL, unless you don't care about DRL brightness, the amber uses twice as many LED's and is brighter.

Ok cool thanks,I'm happy with my stock projector,I'm running ddm 55w hid and happy with it.also the C lights from DD is twice as bright from the stock one.

Did u have to add more sealant the first time u opened/close the headlight?

First time prying the headlight open is very difficult, they use a gray sealant that is very adhesive. Do your best to keep it in place (if some comes out/stringy like, push it back where it goes). I had no headlight water penetration reusing the factory sealant.

The second time you open the headlight, if you do, is easier. You can reuse it, but it starts getting hard to put back into the same shape and that is why I switched to butyl.

DD will say what they say to sell the lights. The Legacy (at least Legacy with OEM HID, which is what I have) has a very bright C-Light compared to that on a similar Halogen OEM WRX (WRX has a single little bulb for C-Light, it is very dim).

The main reason I can see why you would want the DD version in a Legacy is to add the switchback function with the turn signal, unless there is some major difference between the OEM HID headlight C-Light and the Halogen OEM headlight C-Light?

I personally decided to buy the Legacy with HID mainly because I wanted an OEM light I was happy with, so I won't be messing with mine (other than changing HID bulbs to 5000k, which I already did)

DD will say what they say to sell the lights. The Legacy (at least Legacy with OEM HID, which is what I have) has a very bright C-Light compared to that on a similar Halogen OEM WRX (WRX has a single little bulb for C-Light, it is very dim).

The main reason I can see why you would want the DD version in a Legacy is to add the switchback function with the turn signal, unless there is some major difference between the OEM HID headlight C-Light and the Halogen OEM headlight C-Light?

Thanks for this, because I was actually considering the DD C-lights primarily for white DRL use. I'm having second thoughts now.

@redvenetian on Instagram

Let me say if you have a Legacy with Halogen projectors and you are going to open the headlights the C-Light is a worthy addition to a proper HID retrofit.

There is NO comparison between a proper HID projector and the cheap halogen projector in the Legacy. When and if you take one out and hold it side by side with a Morimoto D2S or Mini H1 projector. Not to mention you will have a proper cut off. If you are opening the headlights, you just did the most complicated part of a proper retrofit.

That said, the switchback function looks cool. I have mirrors with turn signal indicators (came with the Limited along with the HID OEM headlights), so have fun, but I won't be joining you in modifying my lighting.

I have mirrors with turn signal indicators (came with the Limited along with the HID OEM headlights), so have fun, but I won't be joining you in modifying my lighting.

I have LED low beams, and mirrors with turn signal indicators too. It's looking harder and harder for me to justify these switchbacks, hahah. Time to look at some other project to obsess about.

@redvenetian on Instagram

My c-lights came today, did some testing with my power supply and they seem plenty bright for DRL use. However I plan on adding them to my LED fog DRLs rather than standalone use.

As for turn signals, I'm going to go c-light only. Will probably black out the turn signal reflector bowl like Lightwerkz did for a cleaner look.

At the moment I'm shopping around for projectors. Debating whether to go RX350 or Morimoto D2S 4.0 with the Lightwerkz brackets. Decisions, decisions:confused:

My c-lights came today, did some testing with my power supply and they seem plenty bright for DRL use. However I plan on adding them to my LED fog DRLs rather than standalone use.

As for turn signals, I'm going to go c-light only. Will probably black out the turn signal reflector bowl like Lightwerkz did for a cleaner look.

At the moment I'm shopping around for projectors. Debating whether to go RX350 or Morimoto D2S 4.0 with the Lightwerkz brackets. Decisions, decisions:confused:

I had the D2S and they are amazing, especially with bi-xenon, when they open up to high beam mode it is like daylight alongside the stock Halogen High Beams. Also, the bulbs are easy to find, not sure what RX350 uses, but beware projectors where the bulbs are not easy to find or very expensive.

Morimoto bulbs are inexpensive and pretty good, I put in Morimoto 5500k bulbs into my OEM HID within a week of ownership and like them a lot.

When you hold a lightweight stock halogen projector, with its cloudy lense, in one hand and the D2S in the other, you will see right away the difference in quality. Of course, you also get the correct cut off. Just make sure they send you the right ones, The Retrofit Source initially sent me RHD projectors, which would have blinded everyone I was driving toward...

I am currently in the process of setting up an appointment to transform my headlights. I will be adding DD C-Lights and Switch Back Halos, along with a full blackout of the housing.

I opted for the Bi-Xenon Morimoto Stage III D2S 4.0 with D2S XB 4500K bulbs.

Now I am debating if I want dual projectors, as seen in the LightWerkz video. I am thinking of doing the exact same and having Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III (H1) with XB 5500K installed in the original high-beam location. If I do, I will also have another set of switch back halos installed.

It may be overkill...what do you guys think?

I am currently in the process of setting up an appointment to transform my headlights. I will be adding DD C-Lights and Switch Back Halos, along with a full blackout of the housing.

I opted for the Bi-Xenon Morimoto Stage III D2S 4.0 with D2S XB 4500K bulbs.

Now I am debating if I want dual projectors, as seen in the LightWerkz video. I am thinking of doing the exact same and having Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III (H1) with XB 5500K installed in the original high-beam location. If I do, I will also have another set of switch back halos installed.

It may be overkill...what do you guys think?

You won't need a dual projector set up for light output, one bi-xenon D2S and your halogen high beam will provide plenty of high beam light, and the high beam will be a lot harder to retrofit correctly since it is currently a reflector housing.

That said, someone on NASIOC has done a dual projector refit on a WRX. It looks cool, but I think even he admitted it was more for looks than function.

im2c0ol pulled his headlights apart here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5039721&postcount=159

Now you just scared everyone away...

I haven't pulled the bumper on the Legacy, but I did on my 2015 WRX multiple times, there are push clips and some built in plastic clips and some bolts on top, really not a big deal. The hardest part of a projector retrofit is mounting them and aiming them, but that is easier if you have a custom bracket which is apparently available, then it is a direct swap.

If you are only doing the C-Light, that is easy to do, opening and closing the headlights with OEM sealant will take you 20 minutes a light probably. If you are blacking out the headlights, allow more time for the paint to dry, and for masking, etc (I used a flat black spray paint). If you are retrofitting projectors, and have a mounting bracket, it won't take much longer to switch those out.

The DD C-Light I put in my WRX was very good quality, the initial launch was a bit rough (they could not meet shipping projections, and had a few issues with the control module, but that was all worked out).

That said, if you are going to remove and open the headlights, and not put in a proper projector (especially those using HID insert kits in the Suby OEM halogen projector) you are missing an opportunity to have both a great switchback C-Light and great HID lights.

C-lights installed. Indicators are blindingly bright and C-LED on parker settings are a huge improvement.

Didn't end up wiring the DRL as I'm not sure I want it on permanently and didn't want to use the fog as DRL. If I get to it I'll wire another button to the dash and use that to switch the DRL on/off.

I'll post up some pics in the next couple of days - but looks like most others.

Archived