LegacyGT.com

New '91 Legacy L - only120k Miles!!

$1000 Later, and I'm a proud owner of my 5th Subbie Doo - 1991 Legacy L 4wd Sedan w/ Automatic Transmission. Been on here for a while (also have a '97 LeggyGT Sedan).

Picked up the '91 from a long time friend, who literally bought it from a little old lady, so I'm the third owner. Has a a pretty bad lifter tick.

I don't remember if the 91 2.2L has adjustable valve lifters.

With that being said, he isn't much of a car guy so immediately ...

Changed to Oil / Filter

Air Filter

Front Diff Oil - used about 30% Lucas Oil Stabilizer.. Is this bad for the AWD Clutch Packs?? Any input would be great -

Pulled about a five gallon bucket worth of decomposed leaves, pin needles, and mud out of the front fenders behind the inner fender (unreal)

New Snow Tires -

....Rear Diff in about 20 minutes from now -

Checked all other fluids

Also, Trying to chase down a rain leak, and figure out how to get the passenger side automatic seatbelt to move into the tight position. I can move it with the tool (included in the center console), but when the door opens, it goes to the exit position, just on the engaged position... Odd...

This forum has helped me out A TON in the last few years - Thanks!!

The noise is probably the Hyrdraulic Lash Adjusters. Common problem, and they wear out of time, making a loud ticking noise. Other than the noise its producing it won't hurt you if you don't do anything about it.

I cannot recall how many there are on each side of the engine, but I do remember that they are $20 a piece!

Thanks for the tip about the ATF - I was just a bit worried it would beat itself to death - Long ago, I had an '84 GL Wagon that had the same tapping Tick. I remember it going away after driving the hell out of it like i was trying to kill it (I was 16, and playing rally driver :cool:)... but it went away, and the only thing I could figure is that I had some Lucas in the crankcase. It was back in the '90's, so looking back is still a bit fuzzy, who knows if it had anything to do with it. Had an automatic 85 GL that wouldn't shift into 3rd, So i just drove it as fast as it would go, red line, all the time, and that seemed to fix the shift issue. Why those cars didn't explode? No Idea. I blame Fuji Heavy Industry Engineers :) Always had the best of luck with these cars.

Hello;

The number one cause of Hydralic Lifter noise is varnish caused by infrequent oil changes. Five hundred miles before a oil change, pour in one half quart of atf into the oil. Those lifters will eventually free up! Have fun, Steven.

That sounds like a good trick with the atf...the properties of atf and hydraulic fluid alike are good for cleaning ...well thought snederheiser.

From what I can tell, 8 lifters per engine. I found them for $4.25 apiece on ebay. The big 3 auto parts retailers all wanted between 15 and 20 bucks apiece. I got mine in the mail the other day but havent put them in yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello;

Just put valve cover gaskets on and was amazed how clean inside the engine is. Mine has 180k on the clock and no lifter noise. Just did a head gasket job for a friend that has 140k, no clicking. Try the atf trick and see if it works. If not, replacing the hla's are not that big of deal. While you are in there check the camshafts for wear. The head gasket job had one camshaft going flat. Have some fun, Steven.

I need to do the valve covers on both the Subbies here - the 2.2L looks real easy - the Lash Tap is gone - went away much faster than i thought it would - Been draining and refilling the trans (4EAT) - have the recall filter kit en route to replace the one on it - i think i may have a flow problem, i can hear a whine on acceleration around 3k rpm, then it goes away -

Thanks for the Tip Steven - Now, can i just drain, out 4qts, and add 4qts of ATF+4? or would the mix be a bad bad idea... I have only been draining and replacing, not flushing. That would be my only real concern switching over. The manuals calls for Dex 2e . . . It's been a while since that was available.. Thanks for all the input everyone! - my new filter should arrive this week so, maybe a good time for another change.

Hello;

You will notice that all import trannys are now using ATF+4. This is a synthetic oil and would consider this if I had a AT. If you can drain the converter this is a plus! Otherwise the Dextron III should be okay, Steven.

what sorta evidence you have supporting this?... that is simply not true. ATF+4 is ONLY used in chrysler vehicle. Imports still use dex/merc 3, cause gm vehicles now use dex-6.

I would HIGHLY recommend Valvoline Max-life fluid, its amazing fluid. dex-3/dex-6 fluid. synthetic. I wont use any other fluid.

Archived