LegacyGT.com

Neutral (safety?) switch

A couple times I went to start my car, clutch depressed, ignition key turned...and nothing. While continuing to keep the clutch depressed, I tried the key again...nothing. Releasing the clutch, depressing it again, and turning the key now starts the car.

I'm thinking there's a neutral safety switch which prevents the car from starting unless the clutch is depressed. Anyone know where the switch is located? Anyone think of another problem I might be having? This is warranty work for sure (2005 GT wagon), but when it fails completely I know I'll be somewhere I don't want to be.

it's possible that you didnt push the clutch all the way down.. I doubt there's a neutral safety switch because I have started the car many times while the car is in gear.. especially during spinouts and when I didn't press the clutch down in time to save the car from stalling out.
Keefe

There's indeed a neutral switch, but it has nothing to do with starting the car - it will however disable the cruise control if it's not in gear.

As others have pointed out, you're probably not quite pushing the clutch in all the way.

There's indeed a neutral switch, but it has nothing to do with starting the car - it will however disable the cruise control if it's not in gear.

As others have pointed out, you're probably not quite pushing the clutch in all the way.

ah, thanks for that reminder, I forgot all about that.. :(

Keefe

Archived