LegacyGT.com

Need a Tire Recommendation for autocross and daily

rnstein69

OK, So I have a set of volk ce28n's on the way and I am looking to get a set of tires for daily use as well as use for autocrossing.

I was thinking about getting the cheapest set of 17" wheels that I could and just get a set of hoosiers specifically for autox, but that is still kind of pricey.

I am looking at size 245/35/18 as that is the closest to the stock overall diameter. I autocross about 8 to 10 times a year, so I would like something that is sticky enough to be competitive but at the same time not a very low tread wear rating that I have to replace every 8k or 10k miles. I would like to get 25k miles out of them if I could.

So far I have on the car:

tein flex coilovers

progress front and rear sway bars

gtspec front and rear strut tower bars

sti brembos all around

All I am missing for exceptional handling is a great set of Extreme or Max summer performance tires.

I was thinking about the Toyo T1R's, I had these when I had my honda and they were great, but are a little stiff with a tread wear rating of 280. I was thinking more along the lines of something rated at 240 or 220.

Anybody have experience with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec?

I also would like to keep it under 225 per tire if I could as well.

Also I would be using these for about 7 months out of the year and my stock all season tires for the other 5 months out of the year.

star specs are alittle soft for a heavy car like the lgt for autox. if you can afford it, go with bridgestone re-11 or yoko advan AD08's. the best thing to do thoguh is a set of wheels with r-comps.

Several tires that I have been looking at are available in 245/40/18 and they have all the specs that I am looking for as far as treadwear rating, performance class, etc.

Not too many are available in 245/35/18 though, so that kind of limits my choices.

How many miles can I expect to get out of a tire with a treadwear rating of 200 or 180? I only abuse tires on auto cross days, normal or some spirited driving on all other days. I would like to keep them for 2 years (7 months per year) if possible.

I have the AD07 (the new AD08 is out now) but in 235/40/17 size. I have them on all the time in the summer and they seem to work well in the 1 autocross I've used them in. I'm not sure how many miles I can get on them. I know some people will switch tires from all seasons to the summer tires just for the autocross day. That will keep the miles off your autocross tires.

I have the AD07 (the new AD08 is out now) but in 235/40/17 size. I have them on all the time in the summer and they seem to work well in the 1 autocross I've used them in. I'm not sure how many miles I can get on them. I know some people will switch tires from all seasons to the summer tires just for the autocross day. That will keep the miles off your autocross tires.

hmm.. both of those look like great options, but they are not available in 245/35/18, only 245/40/18. :(

kumho ecsta xs looks like your only option. it comes in 235/35/18 and has an xl load rating. these should be good for autox.

I am actually looking at 245/35/18 and it does come in that size and it is reasonably priced. treadwear rating is 180 which is good for autocross but a little low for daily driving. I may go with this one or if I come across another one with similar specs.

I wish that yokohama AD07 or AD08 came in that size, I would go with those.

i have a set of kumho ecsta xs in 245/40/17 about to go on as my DD set. I chose it since it was cheap and good enough to run autox if for some reason, somthing happens to my r-comp set.

yeah, at my size they are 163 a piece which is not bad at all. the yokohama AD08 are 255 a piece.

so that is 652 vs 1020, that is almost 400 bucks...

I have 225/45/17 dunlop star specs on my car for auto cross and love them. they help cut my time down 3 sec this year on our track.

a few guys at the events I go to run those tires and really love them, but unfortunately they are not available in the size that I want, otherwise I would go with those or the yoko's..

Anybody have experience with the Yokohama Advan Sport? the treadwear rating is 180 and most reviews on tirerack say that they got 10 to 12k miles on them. for 250 a piece that is not a lot for your money. If the Kuhmo ecsta xs's have similar specs for 163 a piece maybe they are the way to go??

Archived