LegacyGT.com

Need some friendly suggestions.

bushman33

:spin: So here's the skinny....My girlfriend wants to get me a Christmas present and decided to get me something for the car. She's going to spend anywhere from $650-900 and wants to know exactly what I want. My car is stock other than the K&N Typhoon that's on there now. I'm getting an AP in the next couple weeks if not sooner, so I was thinking maybe the ERZ(CNT DP)/Magnaflow setup that Subimods.com has going for $900 right now? Hope I don't get in trouble for saying that.:redface: I am totally open to others suggestions as well, since I don't want to make another mistake like the Typhoon. What would you guys do?? To cut out some of the handling whores from responding with "Springs,Sways,Tires" This is a daily driver and I'm running this VF40 until it dies and I'm looking more in terms of power. I wish that video clips actually had an accurate sound reproduction because if I get an exhaust, I'd love for it to sound DDDEEEPPP!!!(A la 3" Blitz full turboback 04-07 STi's) I know it's a dual exhaust and sound will be diff, but that give you guys an idea. Also, sorry for the novel.

-Jason

No feedback anyone?? I know stuff like this has been beat to death, but I figured someone would chime in with their $.02 on an exhaust that sounds good. Vid clips are useless and I don't have too many LGT's around here with exhausts to compare with.

If i were you I would get the crz downpipe and magnaflow(from what i see people say it is pretty deep) Instead of getting the acessport i would get a catless up pipe, and get a protune. That will Put you roughly around 235-245whp.

Just my $.02 :)

650-900$... i would look into the forums, ive almost completed stage 2.5 just from purchasing parts from other members. I would also say you can steal coilovers, even though i know its a dd. i purchased a set of bc coils for $775, an i love them, handling is 100% better, aggressive look. so i would say look @ the used stuff.. or also look @ gimmick turbo back... i have the gimmick cbe on now an love it!!!... my .02$

Thanks for the input guys. I already have an STi catless UP, forgot to mention that. I was looking at the ERZ/Gimmick combo from Import Image Racing, but the sound clips make the GMS sound a little raspy. It would be great to save that 200-300 to use towards suspension, but I don't want to have to buy another exhaust if i'm unhappy with the tone. I also told her that I didn't mind getting something used off the forums but she wants to order something new to give me on Christmas. Hey, it's her money, her call. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I do want to get most for the money that she is going to spend. Only reason for AccessPort is the ease of use, it's cool, I have a 500 prepaid giftcard that I got from work, and I don't want to fiddle around with logging and opensource tuning just yet. I do enough of that with my motorcycle. The AP gives me a solid base and kinda "holds my hand" when it comes to learning the tuning process. As far as the tune, I'm going with Infamous unless the guys at Cobb are feeling generous on tuning price "wink wink" or if I have the extra cash. Again, I appreciate all the feedback and keep it coming. Trust me, i've been doing alot of research, searches, listening to vids, etc. for several months now. Nothing compares to peoples personal experience with these and their take on the results. Just waiting for someone to chime in with that "xxx exhaust sounds like a STi 3" TBE" and I'm sold. LOL

The gimmick doesn't sound BAD on vids that I've seen, but it doesn't have that DDDDEEEEPPPP growl/roar that I'm looking for. Again that is probably due to the video recording device. Other than that, I'd say the GMS/X02 exhaust isn't a bad deal. Ya, it's cheap. If you live where there's more than 2 seasons like here in Texas, then you probably want to go a diff route. On the flip side of the coin, even if the exhaust rusted or got worn out after 2-3 years, then you can just buy another and still spend less than what you did on a Magnaflow/Borla/Cobb. How many people honestly expect to have their cars 6-7 years? I love my legacy, but being that I bought it used with 65k last year, I'm probably not going to have it for 6-7 more years. I see maybe 3 more years tops. I already have 90k (put 25k on in 1 1/2 years)

GMS/X02 is a pretty deep/rumbly CBE. I ran it with a catless DP, which made it a bit on the louder side. Another local LGT installed the same exhaust onto a catted DP, and it didn't sound nearly as loud, but still has the nice rumble. Point and shoot cameras or camera phones won't be able to record the bass-y sounds that come from it.

I rode in one LGT with the Magnaflow, and that sounded pretty nice too, but also not the quietest ride. It does sound a bit more like a WRX rumble.

I would defenitely recommend getting the catted ERZ/CNT DP from Subimods (what i'm running now). If you want a quiet cruise at 70mph, I wouldn't recommend the x02/GMS CBE. Catless + x02 however did get some drone on the freeway, but sounded great at WOT with the windows down. Catted would be more tolerable, but if you're listening to music anyways at volume level 10 or so, you don't really hear it.

Honestly if you're primarily concerned with power and you are getting an AP outside this gift...

Use the gift to buy the AP and a downpipe. Save your own money if you don't already have emergency savings to raid in case you get some major mechanical failure. Is the 90k maintenance already done?

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Boss, I'm already putting $50-$100 aside here and there for a BNR EVO16G ;-) WPMARKY, I don't have to have a quiet cruise at 70mph. Just don't want a INTOLERABLE drone at 70mph. I love the sound of the exhaust and for the most part the LGT seems to have decent sound dampening when it comes to the exhaust note on the inside. I won't be listening to it much from the outside. Catted DP is a must, but how big a diff is that resonator gonna make on the exhaust. Did you have the GMS non-resonated or the X02 resonated?

ERZ DP and exhaust(what my girl is getting me). I'm getting the AP and infamous tune. According to the maintenance schedule, the 90k is just fluid and spark plug changes. Also decided to save the K&N Typhoon for when I get a new turbo. I love the advice you guys are giving. What's your personal take on the 16g, croll326? How much more punch are we talkin? Stock 2nd gear pull kinda feeling through 4 gears?

-Jason

I had the X02 un-resonated. That plus the catless DP were probably why mine was droney. It makes my current catted + resonated MR CBE sound stock. I've heard others' catted + resonated and it didn't sound as bad.

You might want to consider skipping the exhaust unless you have to have the added noise. That money could be spent elsewhere but thats your choice. My catless up and ERZ catted DP had no change in exhaust sound.

My 16g pulls forever. I love it and my tune should be completely dialed in soon. Infamous tune is a must.

oo tru thanks scoobydoobie. does it matter what brand or will they all get me the same hp gain and should i get my cobb ap b4 the downpiipe

Aftermarket DPs pretty much will all flow the same. Up to you if you want bell-mouth style or divorced wastegate style. Cobb DP tapers to 2.5" at the midpipe flange, all others are full 3".

You will need a tune with the DP, either Cobb AP or OpenSource. I would buy either your AP or Tactrix cable ahead of time and have your tune ready for when you do the DP swap.

If your car is an 05 or 06, you should switch to a catless UP at the same time (need to have DP off to get UP out).

is the Gimmick turbo back a POS or is it worth getting or is it just worth it to get something more expensive like a borla or magnaflow exhaust

put it this way... gimmick vs others: its the same bends, same stainless steal piping... different mufflers. my gimmick isnt broken it fully, but when i get up around 5000 rpm's i love it!!! its very quiet, when under high rpms. its not a bad sound at all!!!! all my friends loves the way it sounds an looks.. it will be going under the powder coating machine soon though.. i hate the polish look much rather have it all black.

Archived