LegacyGT.com

Need some Ammo for a Discussion

Ok, my buddy is convinced that he will be towing me out of the snow this winter with his 2005 Mazda Tribute (I think it has the shitty 2.3L I4 engine). After laughing at him, I explain Subaru's AWD system and he doesn't seem to care. I need some good anti-Mazda(Tribute) ammunition to give this kid a good smackdown.
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last winter, I had a choice between an A4 quattro and a Grand Cherokee. I'd take the Audi hands down except when the snow is deep. At that point, ground clearance becomes an issue.

I haven't driven the LGT in snow yet, so I don't know how it compares to the A4.

First of all, lets do this...Lets assume for one minute that guy is correct, because it could happen, stricly BECAUSE of the ground clearance difference, it is just physics. So in deep snow he may have an edge. But.........

He is still driving a Mazda! And they are basically like Ford product, and they are not even close to the same class as a Subaru-those who know cars can back me here. I would also mention all the rally car technology that goes into Subaru...

Mazda or Land Rover, they both aren't even close to as reliable as a Subaru. And you can't very well pull anything if it's in the shop getting fixed. And his Tribute is not even a real SUV, its a really lame crossover thing.

Truthfully, I wouldn't waste much time comparing things that simply don't compare. Your Leg will eat that Tribute for lunch on wet or dry pavement. Who cares about snow, ,most of us are in our houses anyway during snow storms watching TV sipping hot cocoa.

Who cares about snow, ,most of us are in our houses anyway during snow storms watching TV sipping hot cocoa.

That's what I tell this guy. He is "that guy" who will wrap his POS around a tree, driving 60 mph down Rt. 80 in a blizzard.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

The legacy will eat the tribute in the snow too... just not on the POS waste of natural resources RE-92's on the car...

The legacy will out corner, out manuver, out acceleraate and out climb my friends Jeep with a good set of snows. When it comes to cornering in snow its not even close. I will be pulling off a nice drift while he would be sideways in a ditch.

You wanted ammo here ya go... ask if his tribute can do a fraction of that.

http://www.newreason.com/shared/snowfun.wmv

http://www.newreason.com/shared/cartrouble2.wmv

http://www.newreason.com/shared/WRX_Glamis.mpeg

Get some Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's challange him to a 0-50 competition in the snow you will pull him like he's standing still.

Try not to brake... cause he will most likely be sideways trying to catch up with you and will t-bone himself on your rear bumper.

Ok, my buddy is convinced that he will be towing me out of the snow this winter with his 2005 Mazda Tribute (I think it has the shitty 2.3L I4 engine). After laughing at him, I explain Subaru's AWD system and he doesn't seem to care. I need some good anti-Mazda(Tribute) ammunition to give this kid a good smackdown.

I think the 2005 Mazda Tribute has all-season tires 235/70R16.

Compared to the RE92’s the Mazda’s:

- tread design is much more aggressive

- tires are high profile

The Mazda’s high profile aggressive tread is much better suited at driving in snow (especially high snow).

You’ll have a big advantage if you get snow tires.

I think the argument boils down to the fact that for him to get additional winter traction and confidence he has to give up performance all around where as you don't really need to sacrifice anything to be as good in the snow as you are on dry pavement. :)

In deep deep snow, he has you.. but thats not an argument seeming as your car is not meant to be a 4x4 off-roader, just like his truck isn't a AWD turbo beast of a performance machine. So you can always use that analogy too. ;)

Mazda or Land Rover

I owned a Land Rover Disco. The thing was overbuilt for any SUV/Soccor-mom-mobile. Pulled full size pickup out of a field stuck up to it's frame and more then one person out of a ditch during NE winters. You would have to try really hard to get it stuck. Repairs were expensive.:icon_frow Traded for MDX, which is no Land Rover.

I don't see his Mazda as a Super Hero SUV. You don't have to worry.

Yeah, I'll be heading out to Boston tonight and have my sister's Escape at my disposal. I think I'll be asking to use my Dad's Baja instead though because they are expecting some snow/freezing rain. I have much more faith in the Subie.

Living in California don't have to deal with snow, but had the opportunity to be in Tahoe for a week this summer. All I saw on the road up there were Subaru's. All shapes, sizes and years. For a place that get's over 200" of snow a year, I don't think these people are idiots. A Mazda is still a Ford product.....no comparison!

No, but he just has such a SUV superiority complex that he thinks that as soon as snow hits the ground, he will have to drive us into work every day and kiss our carpool goodbye.

HAHA, he barely has an SUV to begin with. I think when you see him in a ditch, just honk and drive right by!! Maybe do a couple donuts before driving away!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tell him that he just bought a cute ute made for pouser wannabees.

I just did some research for you apparently the tribute comes with faux-wheel drive. Its not even real 4wd.

It uses haldex meaning it is useless offroad.

If you want to eff around with him take him on a long windy altering traction and elevation area. His clutch pack will be smoking and smoke most likely billowing from under his hood as his car screams for mercy and multiple warning lights come on screaming impending 'faux-wheel" drive doom.

Archived