LegacyGT.com

Need part # - 5MT shifter assembly

executor485

Pulled into the driveway Friday and all was well, left the house Monday morning and my shifter is clunking into 1st, 3rd and 5th. So... I investigate:

The "stay" has sheered off at the end where the bushings are. So, I need the part # for the stay. I looked at the vacation pics and only saw the terminology for it and no part #'s.

More explanation on the part I'm looking for:

The 5MT has 3 parts for the shifter (that I can see and how I understand it). The actual shifter, which some replace with a short throw. The shifter connects to 2 separate parts. The "rod" connects to the actual transmission gears and is what shifts the tranny into gear. The "stay" is where the ball of the shifter connects, it holds the shifter steady and isnt supposed to move like mine does.

So, any help on a part # for the "stay" would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

EDIT: It's for an 05 LGT, just in case ppl dont read my profile on the left ;)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

My pleasure. Let's see some pics of the damage when it's all said and done.

I want to know if it was a material failure or a failure at the weld/braze.

I'll def have pics when its out. Unfortunately the part is a special order part, so I wont have it out till tomorrow.

From what I can tell, the part broke at the bushing side that's attached to the tranny. It looks like the weld may have failed first, where the rod and the circle meet. After losing the strength at that place, it was only a matter of time until it sheered off halfway around the circle. (pics will show this better)

I'm actually REALLY surprised that this happened. I haven't heard of anything like this before.

For the record, I do not have a short throw, and the car is sitting at 104k miles right now.

I believe they are OEM yes. The fronts are red, I'm not sure if that is OEM or not (i bought the car at 50k). But the back one is black and def OEM.

Do the kartboy bushings replace both? I havent looked into it that much, but the thought had crossed my mind to replace them at some point.

Driving it to work Monday morning, it was clunking and I figured the bushings had just gone bad and I'd replace them and all would be well. Obviously, it was a little more intense. lol

Hmm... my OEM bushings were black. Red means they are probably a PU material and could be AVO (more orange though).

For rear stay bushings there are Group.N and Kartboy variants. Both are black I believe, or at least the Group.N is... I have it on my car.

Yea, i was kinda wondering if the front bushings were replaced at some time. They are very stiff, not spongy like the OEM exhaust hangars. So they could be aftermarket.

For the rear though, I'm sure its stock. Do you feel that the rear bushing upgrade was worth it?

Ah... Well I may wait to switch them all out when I do my next clutch job, which will probably be in about 3 months or so :S lol

Seems like it all goes downhill when you start modding... Everything will break :) lol

And the list of parts to change/fix is growing every day :(

And the update/pics.

Firstly, I'm AMAZED I didnt realize this issue earlier. The shifts took a longer throw and it was not precise. Replaced the offending part and it's just beautiful now.

Changing out the part wasnt too bad. I thought I was going to have to take off the shielding, but I was able to slip it out with just barely enough room.

Btw, the front bushings are red Perrin. Hadnt even looked at them before when i did my clutch swap initially.

What it looks like is that the welds cracked first, then it started to expand/stretch and finally the second break happened.

IMAG0243.thumb.jpg.01608567b93c6d1b30560055951cda0e.jpg

IMAG0244.thumb.jpg.830ca26ea631082522d9cea94af508bf.jpg

IMAG0245.thumb.jpg.aa3ae8431b9a06b0103ac9e4cf2ed817.jpg

IMAG0246.thumb.jpg.18c003773ebe312182bec02949d48862.jpg

That's a really bizarre break...

Thats what I thought. The only conclusion I come to is that the welding just went, (I've always got lucky with the wierdest bad things happening it seems, lol) and the rest snapped off eventually because of the repetitive stress on the part.

I was really surprised when it happened though, I've never seen or heard of anything like this before. I dont think it's a problem that anyone has to be worried about, just one of those rare things that happens.

Definitely what it looks like, but that isn't exactly a high stress weld... the leverage on it is fairly minimal, I guess shock could be a factor if you constantly slam shifts as hard as you can... the stock front bushings are definitely more spongy than the Perrin or Kartboy, but still...

Archived