LegacyGT.com

Need help - Aux in for '07 radio retro'd into '05 outback

blue dragon

So I purchased an '05 outback limited 3 days ago. I also bought an '07 HU from a recycler and the '08 imprezza Ipod kit. I understand from the various threads here that the radio should plug right in, and the Ipod kit will work too.

I still don't understand how to hook up the aux in (my XM roady will use the aux in). Can someone tell me what additional parts need to be purchased for the aux in connector? What wires on the harness (radio side) need to be in place for the aux-in to work?

I don't know which connector you're referring to. Maybe the pins that plug into the harness?

I believe you should be able to use any after market aux jack so that shouldn't be hard to find.

I would suggest pm'ing HighlineCA on here and ask them the best way to plug into an existing harness.

Good luck!

I was lucky and didn't have to source any of the connector pins that go into the factory harness because my HU was a salvage and the cables were just cut and all the connectors were still attached. I have heard people using molex connectors but they may be too large. I still have some connectors, shielded audio cable, and a aux input port that I can send you, just PM me. You just have to solder your aux input cable to the wires.

This thread has the pin outs that you need to use (see post #2)

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50364

I did some more digging, it seems that this cable http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/downloadFree.jsp?doc_id=190308 will work for the connector. However goneskiian said that he bought the aux-in jack in another thread with this part number, but my dealer can't pull up that number

I got mine from subarugenuineparts.com for $431.67.

FWIW, I also ordered part number 86257XA10A ($14.25). It's a small box with a six pin adapter and small headphone jack.

Cheers!

-Ian

I don't think you want that part. I don't think that will work because your car doesn't have anyplace to install the aux port assembly.

Trust me, I have done this and have made it work and I have all the parts you will need if you want to buy them from me cheap.

I think the cable detailed in the pdf might work but you would have to unplug the factory harness and not use it. I don't think anyone has confirmed that this will work. You would also have to figure out somewhere to mount the Subaru aux port assembly... or you could use a port like I did from Radioshack and tap into the cable with soldered connections.

^^ I was thinking of removing the pins from the impreza cable and retrofitting them into the factory harness in the correct spots based on the pin out diagram. I'm going to remove the actual jack from the trim piece supplied with the kit, and mount that somewere in my outback.

That might work but the jack that I have is easily mountable becauce it has a has a threaded bezel for easy mounting and is very small. No way of knowing if the factory jack can be disassembled or mounted very easily.

Looks like that part costs about $60. I can sell you the connectors, aux input jack, and as much cable as you want for a fraction of that.

Archived