LegacyGT.com

Need help: 18" wheels for lowered OBXT? (pics inside)

yakker

Hi all,

I've been searching all over for silver wheels for my 06 OBXT.

What I've run into is the fact that every wheel I like on this car, is no longer made, impossible to obtain, or just the wrong fitment. IMO, the Ouback needs a wheel with some "meaty" spokes. The car looks top heavy when you put Rota's line of "dainty" wheels wheels on it.

I can't stand 5-spoke wheels, and the wheels I like, but can't get are of the 7 to 10 spoke or mesh variety:

G-games Sidewinder 77s (DTD's 8.5 width will rub with 245/45/18s) oh, and discontinued

Axis Decade (35mm offset only)

Axis Gravity (discontinued, 35mm offset only)

Rota P1s (only available in the gangsta color palette)

I'm considering the Rota Formula mesh, but can't say I'm really excited about the thought of mounting them up. They're kind of "meh", but I'm getting tired of searching the web, and calling dealers to educate them that "that wheel manfactuer doesn't actually make that wheel in that offset of bolt pattern". :rolleyes:

I've attached a photochop of the Formula mesh on my car. What do you guys think?

rota_formula.jpg.34d00206f427a55d10ed8d65ad23a622.jpg

you state that the outback needs a "meaty" spoke, but then you are looking for more spokes...the more spokes the less "meaty" they are going to be.

i agree with your "meaty" statement so i went with the Rota P45s and couldn't be happier. i'd check out the 5 spokes again if it were my choice.

I'm totally of the same opinion and yeah finding a good looking set of wheels is a pain. I really want a 18x8" wheel and the getting the extra width makes things even worse. My favorite right now is the Sport Technic Mono 10 Advantage pictured below. Only problem is the 18" wheel only comes in 7.5" and 8.5" widths with a 35 or 45 offset. So fit is an issue and then supply is virtually non-existent in the US so getting them would be an even bigger pain.

http://www.sport-technic.jp/WHEEL/WHEELS/MONO10ADVANTAGE_PO.jpg

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

I'm totally of the same opinion and yeah finding a good looking set of wheels is a pain. I really want a 18x8" wheel and the getting the extra width makes things even worse. My favorite right now is the Sport Technic Mono 10 Advantage pictured below. Only problem is the 18" wheel only comes in 7.5" and 8.5" widths with a 35 or 45 offset. So fit is an issue and then supply is virtually non-existent in the US so getting them would be an even bigger pain.

http://www.sport-technic.jp/WHEEL/WHEELS/MONO10ADVANTAGE_PO.jpg

Not sure if you've seen it or not, but there is a mono 10 group buy in the works a few threads down. The 7.5" width is somewhat of a turnoff given the extra body cladding on the XT.

I hear you leftride,

It reads like a contridiction. I guess I meant to say I prefer a thicker spoke than say a Tarmac 3. If cost were no object, I'd be all over the Volk GT-7 http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/volk-racing-gt7-18x8-wheel-p-2198.html

The SDX would probably work too, but it's only offered in a 17".

gotcha...those volks are dope. not sure how i feel about them on an obxt...i'd have to see them.

Not sure if you've seen it or not, but there is a mono 10 group buy in the works a few threads down. The 7.5" width is somewhat of a turnoff given the extra body cladding on the XT.

Yeah Jon pm'd me about that already. Unfortunately the group buy is for the Mono 10 Vision which I'm not quite as fond of plus the whole 7.5" thing.

As for the Volk's I'm not a huge fan of the two piece look but those ones aren't as bad as some.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

How about 6 spokes?

5Zigen Pro Racer GN

Raze R74

Found those at Edge Racing.

Thanks nKoan,

I did photoshop the Pro Racers on. They looked ok. So hard to tell from a photo.

I ended up ordering the Formula Mesh from WheelDude. While I'm not in love with them, I feel they have the look of a wheel that could have been offered as a factory upgrade, which is one of the things was looking for.

This has been one of the most frustrating shopping experiences ever. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll post some pics once they're mounted.

I agree. Sometimes shopping for wheels can be a very aggravating experience, with all the choices, but no firm answer on what fits or doesn't (sometimes).

Argh.

Glad you found something.

Archived