LegacyGT.com

Need advise on my logs, healthy ??

Chubien

I just want to ensure that my car is behaving the way it should.

Completly stock, 94oct Winter Gas and I'm running a Rallitek Stg1 93-94 Oct map with Higher Wastegate cycle in order to acheive their targeted boost.

I noticed that my timing gets pulled and I guess that's knock on my 2'ndGear pull at low RPM just after I go WOT. Is this something that needs to get corrected ?

Thanks !

3rd Gear Pull 21-03-2008 - Rallitek 94 Stg1.pdf

2rd Gear 21-03-2008 - Rallitek 93-94 Stg1.pdf

You need to look into what parameters (search) to log and run the log 2k to redline. You have some unnecessary stuff here and didn't include a way to definitively say whether knock is present.

Anyhow, my thoughts:

-damn, wish I could get 94oct (winter even? nice)

-timing probably pulled at 3830rpm

-probably running too much boost past 4500rpm

That's all I can see, but I'm no pro...

EDIT: You just posted a 2nd gear log now. Boost taper might be fine. No timing pulled in that log.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Yes. When in closed loop fueling, AFR Correction #1 (STFT) is active. The problem with closed loop is that it targets close to stoichiometric AFR which is too lean for high boost.

Legend, I plotted this using the last spreadsheet I sent you.

It's very interesting.

This turbo does appear to hold efficiency better than the VF40 (assuming the MAF is scaled correctly). Calculate the load from MAF and RPM.

The most interesting thing about this log is that there appears to be an additional timing table active. I suspect the additional timing table is the main cause of the knock. This table is not on the 05-06 LGT but it is on the 07 STi. I suspect it is on the 08 LGT.

I graphed some of the data to visualize it better.

Here are some general comments:

• Better spool than 2005-2006 Stage 1 LGT.
  • Better top end than 2005-2006 Stage 1 LGT.
  • Timing dip at 2600 rpm common on 2007-2008 logs. I don't think it is knock.
  • Boost is higher in 2nd gear than 3rd gear. Boost goes up like a hump and then kind of dips after peak. This indicates that turbodynamics need to be adjusted especially since WGDC is not clipped by WGDC Max. Most tuners clip WGDC but this tune does not so special attention needs to be paid to the TD values.

There are two things that I would be worried about.

• There appears to be another timing table in effect in the 3rd gear log between 3500 and 5000 rpm. This is causing timing to go too high which then causes the knock in the 3rd gear log at 3830 rpm. Merchgod has indicated that these additional timing tables are on the 2007 LGT rom. They most likely are in the 2008 roms as well. A little bit dangerous.
  • Closed loop fueling is retained too long. Reduce CL/OL delays.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/mickeyd2005/2008timing.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/mickeyd2005/2008boost.jpg

Sorry, I think it may be fine learning correction parameter. It can be displayed though, BJ showed me in his logs on the 08' Sti.

I don't think OP has access to Protuner. Protuner and ecutek are the only two programs that I know that can log it.

OP did log learned ignition timing but that's just IAM and FLKC. He still can't log FBKC nor can he log KC (SOA removed KC but you can still calculate it from FBKC and learned ignition).

I don't think OP has access to Protuner. Protuner and ecutek are the only two programs that I know that can log it.

OP did log learned ignition timing but that's just IAM and FLKC. He still can't log FBKC nor can he log KC (SOA removed KC but you can still calculate it from FBKC and learned ignition).

I realized that right after I sent it..... :lol:

Thanks for your comments guys.

I took a few more logs and I seem to always get that knock around 3800 RPM.

At this point I have reverted back to the Cobb Stg1 1.01 map, I will log tomorow and see how this one behaves. Unfortunatly I am limited to using ecuexplorer at the moment for logging, I was waiting for the new tactrix cable to come out to use with enginuity but I will get a VAG-COM cable ordered ASAP. I will advise Rallitek about my issue.

At this point does the fact that I stay in closed loop too long have anything to do with the knocking that I am getting later on in the RPM range ? Or is this just something unrelated that needs to also get corrected ?

Could this have to do with being on winter gas ?

3rd Gear 21-03-2008(2) - Rallitek 93-94 Stg1.pdf

4th Gear Pull 21-03-2008 - Rallitek 94 Stg1.pdf

IMHO, this tune is much better than the Cobb tune. Based upon your log (and this is only one sample), I think the 2008 (and maybe the 2007) LGTs are going to make more power across the board than the 2005-2006. Your car is already making good power.

Surprisingly, I don't think the knock is caused by the stoichiometric fueling. I am really surprised that the 2008 LGT can run that type of AFR at the load and rpm level that you are at with no problems. I think the really low timing at the low rpm range may be due to the anticipation of running this AFR. Not sure. I'm only comparing it to the 2005-2006 models.

The real issue is the timing. Notice that between 3300 and 5000 rpm in 3rd gear, there is a timing HUMP. This hump doesn't appear in the 2nd gear log. I think this is a separate timing table similar to what the 2007 STi uses.

I don't know what is in Protuner. I am assuming that this table is in there since everyone is aware of it on the 2007 STi and merchgod said that he has seen it in the 2007 LGT rom (he doesn't have the 2008 LGT rom).

Overall, this is a good tune. You can see how nice the timing is set up in 2nd gear. If the hump wasn't there in 3rd gear, the timing would be just as nice. Also, I like the fact that they don't cap the WGDC so that you can get good performance in 2nd gear. They do need to adjust the TD a little bit to get a smoother boost curve. Anyway, it's hard to judge a tune by just two logs and without knowing what else is in the rom.

It is a good tune, it certainly makes more power than the Cobb tune. I'm assuming using a more conservative map at this point is the right thing to do until I get a revised Rallitek map ?

This is my second Rallitek map as the first map would not acheive anywhere near targeted boost levels (would not even hit 15 psi) (strangely enough the Cobb had the same low boost issue on their first map). I emailed Sean at Rallitek regarding my low boost issue and he sent me this map, they were already on their third revision (v1.03) within a week !! I think Rallitek are on the ball and I would not be surprized that they are already a few versions ahead from the map they sent me 2 weeks ago.

I am assuming that this table is in there since everyone is aware of it on the 2007 STi and merchgod said that he has seen it in the 2007 LGT rom (he doesn't have the 2008 LGT rom).

If you are talking about the advance A/B tables, the 07 LGT has the logic like the 07 STi, but it is disabled. Its possible that it is active in the 08 LGT, though (I don't have a copy of the 08 LGT ROM). You can sometimes see where Subaru/Denso sets something up in the prior year which is not active but seemingly in preparation for the next year. Like the 07 STi has some elements of what looks like SI-drive that are not complete.

I installed the Cobb 1.01 map, pulled a few logs and mapped the timing vs the

Rallitek map. It appears the Cobb map has similar timing issues but probably does not knock around 3800 the way the Rallitek map does.

2054195271_TimingCobbvsRallitek.jpg.adb7b2691bf69deb9d3c0c6a7cf054c3.jpg

Here are a couple more graphs. The first plots that same data against MRP.

The second graphs compares the same 2 maps but different logs, note how much more timing is dropped on the Cobb map compared to the first log on the first graph ... what would explain this ?

I'm going to log tomorow with the stock map to compare.

470690332_RallitekvsCobbBoostandTiming.jpg.d8c06eb2b1f7d0e951527e68cce589ce.jpg

678494638_RallitekvsCobbBoostandTiming(2).jpg.2b3bfa7eb5b97d424b2924ddfe65e667.jpg

Here are a couple more graphs. The first plots that same data against MRP.

The second graphs compares the same 2 maps but different logs, note how much more timing is dropped on the Cobb map compared to the first log on the first graph ... what would explain this ?

I'm going to log tomorow with the stock map to compare.

Just as I suspected, the Ralitek map is lowering timing while increasing boost, which is some instances is the best to do. It just seems very low. As far as the timing being in consistant to that degree, if it were the 05-06 it would easily be blame on a knock event. However on the later models this can be do to the extended timing table, but to my knowledge this table is zero'd out by most tuners :confused:

Well I did some testing ... Tested the cobb maps, rallitek maps ... no matter which map I used I seem to consistently get what seems to be knock around 3800 ... So reverted the car back to stock and took some logs ... well guess what, the car gets this drop in timing around 3800 on the base map also !!!

So what's the deal ? Could the Subaru tune be bad enough that it would knock with 94oct gas ??? Could there be something mechanically wrong with my car ? Could this NOT be knock ?

106886400_TimingStockvsRallitek.jpg.1a4afe7b6bf612c3c446c9bc1198e368.jpg

I would not be suprised at all if the Subura factory rom knocked as well. It does stay in CL til around 4Krpms or so. Do you have access to 100 octane? It appears the problem is the extended timing parameter, all three maps jump up in timing too fast just before the point where the timing is pulled back down.

Unfortunatly I don't have access to better than 94oct .... Well perhaps I would if I went to the local private airport ... no clue.

I'm thinking maybe this 94oct winter blend really ain't that good, I will try the 91oct maps from cobb and rallitek next. I guess after realising my car ran like this stock I assumed something was wrong somewhere other than the tune.

If the subaru rom does knock, how do they get the life out of their cars ??

Hopefully I can get this car to run nice with a simple stg1 setup, I see collegemt running his 08 stg2 with AEM intake with a OTS TDC map with no problems !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived