LegacyGT.com

My cursed car meets its end

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/rojo412/Legacy%20GT/100_3355_zps5043cd6b.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/rojo412/Legacy%20GT/100_3356_zps3a1ae602.jpg

I've long thought this car was cursed or haunted. From the never-ending brake problems in the past, the head gasket blowing less than 40k after being replaced the first time, the fact that the battery would mysteriously die overnight, the noises and clunks from who the hell knows what... it's tortured me a lot over the past 2 years.

And after replacing the tires and head gasket to the tune of way more than the damn thing was worth when it needed it, the brakes gave out this morning while my wife was driving it. She's fine, no one was hurt, just so you know.

She plowed into a truck, which didn't even look scratched!

Funny enough, the airbag didn't go off. So pretty much every safety feature failed to do what it was supposed to do...

So... now I'm shopping for a Toyota.

I don't know why people prize these older Legacies. This has been nothing but trouble. And everyone I know who has one is constantly trying to keep up with the problems they encounter.

I typically appreciate that different people have different experiences with vehicles, but I can't help but come to the defense of 2nd gens in general because of the way you write about the car.

If your head gasket blew out 40k miles after it was replaced, whoever replaced your head gasket did it wrong. Likewise, there are no widespread issues with the brakes in these vehicles, so it sounds like you simply failed to figure out which part was malfunctioning. Noises and clunks are relatively easy to track down on these vehicles if you actually put effort into it (you can narrow down the corner from inside the car and then there are only so many things it can be.) If it had many miles on it, it is GOING to clunk just like any older car would because bushings only last so long.

Airbags are designed to go off only in very specific situations. The fact that your wife is fine is proof that airbag deployment was not necessary. It didn't fail - it probably did exactly what it was supposed to do.

You say you know many people with these cars that have issues with them. Do realize that these cars are now 15 years old. ANY 15-year-old car will have continuous small issues. However, everyone I know (including people in the automotive industry who are in no way shape or form affiliated with Subaru) agree that these Subarus are incredibly reliable. I'm at 270k miles on an original engine and transmission (headgaskets replaced 80k miles ago) and the car hasn't had a serious mechanical failure in quite some time (in fact - it has yet to ever leave me stranded anywhere - which is more than I can say for a LOT of other people with much newer cars.)

There is a reason Subaru is going to meet its 2016 sales goal by the end of THIS YEAR, and it's not because they make terrible cars.

So your wife hit a truck and is alive and well and you are complaining about the car? Get your priorities straight. I'm glad she is safe and I hope she doesn't have any soft tissue injuries. Please get to a physical therapist pronto.

Toyota's are the most boring vehicles on the face of the earth (with the exception of the W40 MR2 and the Supra, and the Scion tC and FRS). Now, referring to all other Toyota's, has anyone ever said that they are anything else? All they are is a comfortable, reliable way to get from point A to B. It took Subaru to help Toyota remember what the word fun actually existed.

Glad you're wife is okay, it could have been a lot worse.

I feel for you when you talk about your Subies issues... Shit, I STARTED the "What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?" thread...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/failed-your-second-generation-subaru-todayi-194205.html

Just because my 98 LGT 5MT wagon was a total and complete POS, doesn't mean Subaru's are bad cars. Just like any other car, if it's not taken care of the right way it's not going to be reliable. It took that car for me to understand it. If you buy a car that the PO took care of, the car will be great. Now, you will still probably have the head gasket problems like everyone else with an EJ25D/251 has had. That, is definitely Subaru's fault, and that engine is a huge POS regardless. Each car has problem area's, some come to light regardless and others come to light because of neglect or miss use. Plus, there are things you can't control, like the climate conditions that the car has spent most of it's life going through. Some are more extreme than others.

You just bought a bad car... Relax and get yourself thinking straight before you buy a Toyota. It just makes me cringe.

Maybe your Legacy was just a piece of sh!t. Both my 96 L and 99 LGT were/are great cars. Besides the headgasket issues there good cars. Yours was probably owned before you by a idiot and you got left with his **** ups. What kind of Toyota you looking for?

It was a slow crash, she was fine. And yes, I realize that the sensors are in the bumper, but it's the kind of thing that goes along with this particular car's inherent curse.

The previous HG job was done at a shop and likely was done by a moron... but nonetheless, it was a problem I had and cost me a ton to fix, despite the service records showing it was done, by a shop.

And yeah, a lot of people love these cars and keep them going to hundreds of thousands of miles... but at what cost? People stroke Volvos, Saabs, BMWs, just like these cars as high-mileage heroes... but if you spend a quarter million bucks over the life of it, how much of a value is it, really?

I had a 91 Camry wagon that I bought for $450 and the thing ran NO MATTER WHAT. I ran it out of oil, beat the snot out of it, and it just ran. I put no money or effort into that car and it was fantastic. When I did finally do the work, it was even better!

Yeah, they're as exciting as a pile of wet dishrags... but they work well. And if excitement means wondering whether the car will start or what will break today... thanks, I'll pass.

And my other car is a 2013 Legacy, so I haven't given up. But it's a LOT nicer than the 98.

Praise technological advances toward your 2013 legacy, that 98 Subaru was a made couple years after the obd2 compliances were mandatory and the auto-manufacturing world changed completely after 95-96...meaning all manufacturers in those years had hoops to jump through.

I think personally you got stuck with a lemon and didn't know what to do with it.

lol you're so bitter about that car and it didn't come close to having half the problems mine did.... And I bought another second gen just after I got rid of my 98. That has some expected problems too, but it's not my DD. I bought an 04 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6MT for that. So yeah, newer cars are much much nicer and put together quite a bit better. I hate most of them, though. They're all getting weird, ugly, and boring. But then again, I hate most cars of any age...

Toyota's are the most boring vehicles on the face of the earth (with the exception of the W40 MR2 and the Supra, and the Scion tC and FRS). Now, referring to all other Toyota's, has anyone ever said that they are anything else? All they are is a comfortable, reliable way to get from point A to B. It took Subaru to help Toyota remember what the word fun actually existed.

You forgot the Celica GT4, AE86, and Lexus IS300. But yes, all other toyotas are pretty boring. And in the last ten years toyota basically gave up on making a sporty car until they turned to subaru to help with the FRS/86/BRZ.

Where are you located?

Cleveland, OH.

If I scrap the thing, they just haul it away and give me $300. I figure anything I can sell out/off of it, it at least helps.

Of course, local CL has a couple of these being parted out... and not going anywhere... so that kinda sucks.

You forgot the Celica GT4, AE86, and Lexus IS300. But yes, all other toyotas are pretty boring. And in the last ten years toyota basically gave up on making a sporty car until they turned to subaru to help with the FRS/86/BRZ.

I've never been a fan of the Celica honestly. It's not exactly my cup of tea. The IS300, yes, I do like that car very much.

Celicas are TINY! And unless they are the GT4, I'd say they aren't that great.

I like Lexus on paper, but the 2 I've had were troublesome piles of crap (worse than this!) and won't buy one again. The IS seems cool, but I just won't do a Lexus again.

And I'd LOVE a Twin Turbo Supra! But that's a long way off at this point ;)

I like Lexus on paper, but the 2 I've had were troublesome piles of crap (worse than this!) and won't buy one again. The IS seems cool, but I just won't do a Lexus again.

Agreed that celicas aren't great other then the GT4. But that is basically impossible to find anyway. And I have never owned a lexus before, I just like the IS for the 2jz under the hood. Obviously a TT supra would be better but who has that kinda of money and time to find one that hasn't been beat to hell.

You forgot the best Toyota ever made the Supra, which I've owned many over the years and own one now. Toyotas are actually great to drive. Have you guys ever drove the newer Tundra? They're quick trucks stock and would smash my LGT, I know cuz I raced a stock one and lost big time. LOL. My uncle owns a 2011 Tundra and I installed the TRD supercharger kit and the things a beast now with 500+ HP. With the BRZ if you didn't know Toyota owns 20% of Subaru or Fuji Heavy Industries and most of the engineering was developed by Toyota. I agree Toyota lost their sports car nich when they ended the Supra in 98 but they have several sports cars under development right now. The new Supra being one of them. Let's just hope its not a $100k car. It would also be nice if they bright back a new version of the 2jzgte. It's IMO is the best engine ever produced by any car manufacturer.

blew up 2 lexus and now demolished a leggy.... you think maybe you are just hard on sh*t? not meant to be mean at all im hard on stuff too just took me a few cars to realize that then i started learning to fix my own crap..... sorry you had such bad luck but sometimes it just happens.

Archived