LegacyGT.com

How much CARFAX is reliable?

Mercury

Alright guys I’m Canadian, and I’m shopping for a used US LGT, and the only tool that I really got (know) to not get screwed up is CARFAX. How much reliable is CARFAX? Can I trust what CARFAX says?

Is there anything else I should look for to make sure I don’t have a bad surprise?

Thanks in advance!

I can't wait to be part of the LGT owner gang, but willing to be patient if I have to :)

There are so many ways to have things to not show up on carfax. Especially the really horrible things. It's good for honest people, but if you're looking to byu from someone a little shady, then it wont tell you anything.

Also the buyback guarantee only applies to a few very specific situations.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Carfax is good, but AFAIK, if an accident wasnt submitted to insurance, it wont show up.

True- I own two cars like that.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

It's a little safer to buy it from a dealer because they have certain amount of liability. Most used car dealer will also have a limited warranty if the car is out of original warranty. But then again there are plenty of shady used car dealers out there too. The best way is to get your own mechanic to look at the car. If you are buying a car that still has the original warranty make sure to call up Subaru and have them check that the warranty is still intact.

Carfax is good, but AFAIK, if an accident wasnt submitted to insurance, it wont show up.
Yep. I had a fenderbender that required a respray of about 35% of the car....I guess since the insurance company that paid out was out of state it was never reported to the DMV.

EDIT: My last car.

Freedom Fries FTW!

Carfax is nice if the car comes from an emission testing state. If the car passes the regular emission tests, you can at least have some info that the motor was cared for up to the date of the last test showing on Carfax.

Does Carfax show if a car was totaled or salvaged by the title record? I'd think so, but basically, Carfax is a nice start but no substitute for having a trusted mechanic do things like a compression test, look under the chassis, look for respray lines, etc.

Carfax is good as a BUYING AID not as a stand alone way to purchase. Nothing is better than a top to bottom inspection.

Bodywork....check all body gaps for varying fit (Use a .25) for the larger gaps a (.5) for the tighter ones.

Stand along the profile of the car and look up and down the side of the car.

Once the car is up on a lift really look close for overspray, newer parts,leaks, check the suspension closely.

Those are just a few things to look for.....good luck:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Guest *Jedimaster*
lol, that gave me a great good laugh... but you know I'm not really French, I'm a Québecer, a French-American! ;)

A Canadian, eh?

Freedom Fries FTW!

Carfax is nice if the car comes from an emission testing state. If the car passes the regular emission tests, you can at least have some info that the motor was cared for up to the date of the last test showing on Carfax.

Does Carfax show if a car was totaled or salvaged by the title record? I'd think so, but basically, Carfax is a nice start but no substitute for having a trusted mechanic do things like a compression test, look under the chassis, look for respray lines, etc.

Hmm ok makes sense, the only thing is that I will be importing the car, so it will be impossible for my trusted mechanic to inspect it before importing it (going through all the government forms, lengthy process)… and then if there is any problem, it will be a pain to export it back...

Carfax is good as a BUYING AID not as a stand alone way to purchase. Nothing is better than a top to bottom inspection.

Bodywork....check all body gaps for varying fit (Use a .25) for the larger gaps a (.5) for the tighter ones.

Stand along the profile of the car and look up and down the side of the car.

Once the car is up on a lift really look close for overspray, newer parts,leaks, check the suspension closely.

Those are just a few things to look for.....good luck

Alright, seems simple to do, if I would understand it all… hehe.

What do you mean by body gaps?

Overspray, you mean like repainting trace?

And what about the suspension, what to look for on it?

As you might have noticed, I’m not an export in cars, as you guys are… :redface: thanks for your inputs.

Archived