LegacyGT.com

How much can I get for this BNR 16g?

$0-$75. Did Bryan give you a replacement turbo?

Actually Brian wasn't much help. He refused to believe it was his turbo that failed even thought my Subaru specific tuner said it wasn't my car. I ended up paying an additional $400 to ship it back to BNR and have them fix it or do what ever it was they did to it. My tuner put it back on the car and it seized again during the dyno tune. I had my tuner document all the steps they took leading up to the turbo failure so I could send it to Bryan. Bryan still wouldn't consider his turbo being the problem. I even had two other shops look at my car, one being another Subaru specific auto shop, the other being a shop trusted by my family. None of them believed my car to be the problem. I ended up putting on a blouch 380xt (my tuners recommendation) on my car without doing anything additional to my car and it's been working great for over a year now. That, in my mind, proved that it really wasn't my car, but it still didn't change Bryan's opinion.

I just want to put it out there that I'm not trying to talk crap about Bryan or BNR. There are so many happy BNR customers on this forum, and that was the primary reason I went with BNR in the first place. Maybe it's possible that peoples good reputations can go to their heads sometimes, I don't know. I'm just left with a horrible customer experience, a huge dent in my wallet, and a chunk of metal I'm now finding out is pretty much worthless. :( I'm not really sure what to don't this point or if there is anything I can do except take the loss.

What exactly is wrong with the BNR turbo? Is the shaft sized or are the impellers touching the walls and getting stuck?

What oiling are you sending to the turbo? Is it the stock hard line with the stock banjo bolt?

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

May be send that turbo to JmP6889928 and have him take a look at it.

Hey, you may have a case for Judge Judy.

I guess you didn't read my thought's on why I chose a vf52 over that turbo. It was because of all the bad stories like yours back in 2011.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What exactly is wrong with the BNR turbo? Is the shaft sized or are the impellers touching the walls and getting stuck?

What oiling are you sending to the turbo? Is it the stock hard line with the stock banjo bolt?

Sorry for the late response. My tuner said the boost dropped instantly towards the end of the first pull. He took the down pipe off and saw scoring on the turbine housing from the turbine wheel.

The whole hard line was replaced with a direct line, including the AVCS solenoid. Yes, the stock banjo bolt was removed

May be send that turbo to JmP6889928 and have him take a look at it.

Hey, you may have a case for Judge Judy.

I guess you didn't read my thought's on why I chose a vf52 over that turbo. It was because of all the bad stories like yours back in 2011.

JmP6889928 Is someone in these forums I'm guessing?

Yea I should of done more research before going with BNR, but I'm pretty happy with my 380xt

What about the banjo bolt that goes from the direct line to the turbo? Your description is matches with lack of oiling. Stock hard line, stock head banjo bolt filters, stock turbo side banjo bolts, all cause restrictions that will starve aftermarket turbos.

JmP6889928 is a forum member that does a lot of turbo rebuilds.

22 Ascent STOCK

What about the banjo bolt that goes from the direct line to the turbo? Your description is matches with lack of oiling. Stock hard line, stock head banjo bolt filters, stock turbo side banjo bolts, all cause restrictions that will starve aftermarket turbos.

JmP6889928 is a forum member that does a lot of turbo rebuilds.

Thanks, I'll contact him.

The banjo bolt filters are differently removed, I far as I know every oil component leading to the turbo was replaced. I've had oil flow tests done before and after each turbo failure and the flow was alway fine. Maybe it was the shop, but they are a very reputable Subaru tuning shop (Mike from GST Motorsports), so I really doubt it was their fault.

Roger, just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case. Different turbo styles have different oiling needs, while IHI turbos are happy with a tiny holes Mitsu style turbos want more flow. So it could have been Blouch was also happy with a tiny oiling hole too. That's why I wanted to get that out of the way before we blame any turbo :).

I'm curious to see what happens of this, keep us posted! :)

22 Ascent STOCK

Thanks, I'll contact him.

The banjo bolt filters are differently removed, I far as I know every oil component leading to the turbo was replaced. I've had oil flow tests done before and after each turbo failure and the flow was alway fine. Maybe it was the shop, but they are a very reputable Subaru tuning shop (Mike from GST Motorsports), so I really doubt it was their fault.

I had Mike install my bnr16g as well, back in early 2011. I upgraded to the IP&T oil line kit as soon as it was available, but still had probably 20-30k miles on the 16g with the stock setup. Total now of maybe 70k miles on the 16g. Still going strong.

Edit: however, I have one of the first 16gs - the ones inside a vf40 housing. This may make a difference. Perhaps the flow to/from one of Bryan's newer, BNR-designed housings has different oil flow needs?

Archived