LegacyGT.com

Hi all,

So we just bought a used '09 3.0R Limited with 42000kms on it (Rougly 26000 miles). We're just about to consume a full tank of gas but the readings aren't pretty. So far, the car has been operated in "I" mode and has been drive very conservatively that it feels like I can't hold back any longer (About to explode). So the driving condition? I'm living in Toronto, Ontario and the weather has been between 5-20 celcius. About 80% city driving and 20% highway, but that will soon change to 90-95% city and 5-10% highway. My parents use it to commute to work, about 10 mins or less one way. Speed is around 40-60km/h.

But anyway, this week was mixed with a bit more highway driving because of me. The result? 14l/100kms (roughly 16mpg). So I was wondering if this figure is normal or not, but I see some of the figures you guys posted on other threads, get a much better fuel economy. As soon as my parents use it as a full time commuter, I can sense the MPG figure plunging down to 14 or less.

So I'm wondering what can be done or what is wrong with the car? (I'm not very good with cars btw :() From the information I received, the car was a dealer demo before it was bought out by the previous owner.

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is wrong.

Driving with an extremely light foot tends to hurt fuel economy. I'll give you an example. I can baby-foot my XT around, and barely get 22mpg in I mode, and shifting early. Contrary to that, I can drive in mostly S#, not flooring it everywhere, but certainly not babying it, and I get 24.5mpg.

I struggled with this for a while, and my fuel econ logs prove it. For the first 10k or 12k, fuel econ was right at 22mpg, and I kept using I mode and trying to baby it. Then we took a road trip, mostly highway for about half the tank and then around back roads for the other half. I was cruising on the highway around 80mph, and backroads around 55 or so. S# the whole time. Fuel economy on that tank? 26.4mpg.

Just drive the car, don't baby it. Accelerate as quickly as you need to, and don't worry about saving fuel. As soon as you stop paying attention to it, you'll notice the mpg's increase.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Nothing is wrong.

Driving with an extremely light foot tends to hurt fuel economy. I'll give you an example. I can baby-foot my XT around, and barely get 22mpg in I mode, and shifting early. Contrary to that, I can drive in mostly S#, not flooring it everywhere, but certainly not babying it, and I get 24.5mpg.

I struggled with this for a while, and my fuel econ logs prove it. For the first 10k or 12k, fuel econ was right at 22mpg, and I kept using I mode and trying to baby it. Then we took a road trip, mostly highway for about half the tank and then around back roads for the other half. I was cruising on the highway around 80mph, and backroads around 55 or so. S# the whole time. Fuel economy on that tank? 26.4mpg.

Just drive the car, don't baby it. Accelerate as quickly as you need to, and don't worry about saving fuel. As soon as you stop paying attention to it, you'll notice the mpg's increase.

Hm, alright I'll give that a try. For the record, the last tank of gas lasted me 400kms. I think I could go another 20-30 kms but that'd be pushing it. Hopefully I'll get better results this time around :)

I got the same car, I just went on a road trip to CT and back, got 28 mpg highway using I mode. When I'm local I have it in S mode and get 20-22 mpg in the city. I;m going to try the S mode this weekend when I make the trip again.

I think people are comparing highway driving to city driving which is worse. I also live in Toronto and work 10 km from home but I have a 2.5i and I am monitoring my fuel economy via http://www.fuelly.com and I am only getting 21 mpg on average. If I were highway, I am sure I would get 30+ mpg. So remember, people with nice and high mpg figures are highway drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
Well . . . what can I say, you've bought an AWD Subaru Legacy for economy? I have an 08 2.5i SE Sports Tourer with a 4AT, on a very good day I have seen over 40mpg, not necessarily all motorway, I also tow a 1500kg caravan where I have seen 20mpg whilst towing for 280 motorway miles. My average, according to my trip computer is 30mpg with a tank full of fuel lasting around 400 miles. I am not disappointed with the economy of my Legacy. And I don't drive particularly economically either.

any mods or stock?

The only "mod" I've done is remove the intake resonator. Doubtful thats helping, but I don't know what else is. I drive pretty "sporty" all the time. Do you have a MT? Also change or clean you're airfilter, I have noticed that helps

i must say that I'm pretty close to the fuel consumption ratings in the advertisements I guess. I'm averaging about 13l/100kms right now in Sport mode with mostly city driving. That's about 17-18 mpg I believe.

with about 80% city driving i would say that figure is accurate, the AWD drivetrain will eat up energy in all the stop/go traffic and necessitate more fuel and therefore lower mpg

once you get rolling though, on the highway you can achieve some pretty decent figures

the H6 isn't a particularly fuel efficient powerplant either though, most of the figures that have been talked about here are with the 2.5i motor which has smaller displacement, but even then, when i was driving 100% city when i lived in boston i was only getting like 14mpg, which i thought was awful but most of my friends who also had cars were averaging about the same, just the nature of city driving.

i now travel about 80% highway and 20% city and get 27/28mpg

The only "mod" I've done is remove the intake resonator. Doubtful thats helping, but I don't know what else is. I drive pretty "sporty" all the time. Do you have a MT? Also change or clean you're airfilter, I have noticed that helps

You might want to put that back in, it will cause resonance issues in the mid ranges and the AFR to be off

I average 21.2mpg, mixed city and highway, not great IMO. 2.5i limited wagon, 4A.

Try http://www.fuelly.com to track your mileage, very handy site.

Also, I've heard the same as above regarding the resonator and frequencies that affect the MAF on these cars.

You might want to put that back in, it will cause resonance issues in the mid ranges and the AFR to be off

Of course it causes resonance issues in the mid ranges, that's why you get more noise :). I've driven probably about 1500 miles since I've had it off and haven't had a cel, no idling issues, no nothing except more intake growl starting at 3k

I ran sans my resonator for 7K miles I know of the intake buzz it creates I put the res back in along with a AVO panel and I get a more attractive Whooshing :) You get my PM about the testing???

Does the avo help? My brother and dad just put K&N's in their subies and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm not sure I got you're PM.

Does the avo help? My brother and dad just put K&N's in their subies and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm not sure I got you're PM.

Oiled filters + MAF sensors = problems. The AVO panel is a dry filter, that's why they are a popular choice around here.

I've got an AVO filter, and I can't say I really noticed any difference either, but at least I don't have to buy air filters again, lol.

I'm driving like a lightfoot on this tank, and my in-dash average is at 27.6mpg for my 09 OBXT.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Oiled filters + MAF sensors = problems. The AVO panel is a dry filter, that's why they are a popular choice around here.

I've got an AVO filter, and I can't say I really noticed any difference either, but at least I don't have to buy air filters again, lol.

That's what I've heard but theirs seem ok so I dont know what the problem is/would be. I didn't think the avo was lifetime

That's what I've heard but theirs seem ok so I dont know what the problem is/would be. I didn't think the avo was lifetime

It's a reusable, washable, dry element filter. It will last as long as I own the car anyways, lol.

K&N are ok, if you put too much oil on them they can mess up your MAF, IMHO i do not like them because they let more particles through the filter untill they start getting dirty.

to get back on topic.. if i set cruise on the hwy at 70-75 on a 80 mile trip i get 33 mpg easy, that includes switching hwys and passing as well. but then again i have a 2.5i 5mt. i stll think autos suck up some fule economy, but thats because im a die hard maual driver (i hate autos, unless of course its a boosted 9sec car :))

Archived