LegacyGT.com

moving from a MT to an auto

question for you Automatic Outback owners. I'm looking into getting an outback. MT are hard to find.

I'm curious how the automatics perform? especially in winter weather. I live in an area where I take back roads. I like the control I get using a MT. Lose that when you switch over to an auto.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I have a friend here in socal with an auto outback 2013 i believe and he hates it. He goes to the mounts alot such as big bear, mammoth etc during the winter season and hates how it shifts and how it drives. Not being able to control the shifts kind of a buzz kill. Hes been trying to find an MT but like u said, it's pretty rare. My neighbor has a dark grey outback auto, and he said he likes it but would have preferred an MT. hope that helps

I have a 2013 Outback. So far with the paddle shifting ability i find that it is pretty good on the backroads. I am from Oregon, but i now live in Socal, this is my third Outback (I have a 99OBS, 09OBXT, and a 2013 OB. The paddle shift is great on the back roads. I go to Mammoth and Big Bear also. If your buddy has a 2013 OB he should be able to down shift and up shift in Manual Paddle mode.(Dohclgt) If your just using the paddle override in automatic mode then the sensors will override when your car will shift. Shifting is very smooth, but honestly i preferred the 09's tipptronic shift at the knob. But overall the shift quality is great, throttle response could be better, but if your looking for a wagon its prolly not going to be a race car.

BTW I lowered my ride i switched out my suspension for the suspension from a Legacy, Stiffer, lower, and less bodyroll. Handles great on the corners compared to the Stock height of the outback. My avatar picture is when my 2013 was factory stock!

Wish they would come out with the 2013 turbo model in the US.... They look sick with the leggy struts and springs!

i'm probably going to look at 2 this weekend. on suspension...at the very least I considered a beefier rear sway bar to help with the body roll.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I personally dont own an outback so Im not familiar with the car. Few occasional test drives dont count i dont think. I think he just like the manual trans more. Old school type of drivers I gess. I do wish they make a turbo + MT for the outback in a limited trim tho... Im not a streetlight racer or anything but I would imagine having that extra HP would be great!

I have a 2013 Outback. So far with the paddle shifting ability i find that it is pretty good on the backroads. I am from Oregon, but i now live in Socal, this is my third Outback (I have a 99OBS, 09OBXT, and a 2013 OB. The paddle shift is great on the back roads. I go to Mammoth and Big Bear also. If your buddy has a 2013 OB he should be able to down shift and up shift in Manual Paddle mode.(Dohclgt) If your just using the paddle override in automatic mode then the sensors will override when your car will shift. Shifting is very smooth, but honestly i preferred the 09's tipptronic shift at the knob. But overall the shift quality is great, throttle response could be better, but if your looking for a wagon its prolly not going to be a race car.

BTW I lowered my ride i switched out my suspension for the suspension from a Legacy, Stiffer, lower, and less bodyroll. Handles great on the corners compared to the Stock height of the outback. My avatar picture is when my 2013 was factory stock!

Wish they would come out with the 2013 turbo model in the US.... They look sick with the leggy struts and springs!

FWIW, the outback in manual is 'interesting' in its own ways. First is far too long for the 2.5 N/A engine, in my opinion. You just can't get this thing moving from a stop (smoothly) without revving to 1400+ rpm and almost slipping the clutch. It's just a small quirk. Otherwise, this 6mt is a godsend to an otherwise boring, plastic cladded, over-lifted, baby-ready mommy mobile. I'm sure I'll love this car much more when I begin really working on it. First step is definitely suspension mods. This thing definitely bounces and handles like a Chevy Tahoe in more situations than I'd like.

My mom has a '12 Premium in CVT trim, and, we chose it after having drove both the six speed version and the CVT.

Not only do the ATs come with more stuff -- the stuff one has to have in a new car-- but, the CVTs are faster, more fuel efficient (already shitty mileage anyway) and able to get out of their own way faster and easier.

The 6MT was a slug. It was awful, and even for a die-hard, never-owned-an-AT driver like my mother, she preferred the CVT. I preferred the CVT, and at that point, I didn't even have the LGT.

We were not impressed, and, combining the terrible mileage numbers with the droll colors and lack of amenities, like a sunroof and leather, the choice was simple: CVT is the wave of the future.

Now, having driven it "spiritedly", I can say that it fares just fine on the backroads; the acceleration is acceptable, and sometimes surprising, considering the size and weight of the vehicle, stock; It sounds more like a sewing machine/not a car the harder you drive it, however, that can change with a few new exhuast pieces.

Overall, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the AT version.

Archived