LegacyGT.com

Moving to Hampton Roads area, need suggestions

el5y

Hey everyone,

My wife is PCSing down to Portsmouth Naval Hospital so we're looking for a place to live down there. We don't want to live in Portsmouth nor do we want to live in any of the ghetto areas, especially since I have my project 240sx that is coming with me.

Any suggestions where to live? She'll be commuting to Portsmouth Naval Hospital and I will be commuting to Dam Neck so somewhere in between is preferable but closer to Portmouth would be ideal. Also if you have any leads on houses for rent or sale in the area that would be great too.

Thanks all,

Eric

Churchland area,near High street is not bad,for Portsmouth.Since you have to travel to Dam Neck,there is no easy way around the tunnel/bridge traffic...it's a nightmare.

The area around the Hospital meets in a tri-city area of Portsmouth-Suffolk-Cheapeake...unfortunately all places have their bad areas.All have relatively high property taxes too...but in comparision to NoVa the taxes and traffic should be easy.

If you find an area and need input post back.

looks like we're probably going to rent a house down there instead of buy, no money for a downpayment right now, nor do we want to use our VA loan just yet. We're looking somewhere in the Grassfield/Deep Creek area. Any suggestions on that area?

I'm making the sacrifice this time so my wife will have the shorter commute to work and I will have a longer one after she dealt with the crappy commute for 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Greenbrier has alot to offer...sometimes too much though.It's right in center of a large shopping area and highway crossroad.Really close to major Malls and shopping centers but kinda crowded

Ghent is in Norfolk and has alot of old town appeal(1900's row houses).Most neighborhoods are nice and alot of the homes are being bought by younger couples and has significant gay community=nice homes ...unfortunately you have 750K house across the street from bus depots,hoodrats and major streets.

We did a quick drive around the Greenbrier area then down towards deep creek and grassfield on Sunday before coming back up here. (My wife ran the Shamrock Half marathon this weekend) Greenbrier is definitely more like the shopping areas of northern va but I could see it being very crowded too so we're still up in the air. woo...Ghent is way out of our price range to get a house...I want a garage this time around so I can actually work on my cars when I need to, as opposed to when my dad had time to clear his garage.

Deep Creek isnt bad but it all depends on the neighborhood.I guess it all depends on who you want to go through the tunnel/bridge everyday.

The Western Branch area of Chesapeake and High Street area of Portsmouth aren't bad either.

Alot of people have started to migrate further out into Suffolk area since land and homes were cheap,like a mimi development boom.Check out the Nansemond area of Suffolk,it's older homes 50,60,70's but noth otrageously priced.

• 3 months later...

On a side note you shouldmake it out to some of the meets in the area :D

I can't offer you any info as I live on the other side of the water and have no idea about housing on the southside. As far as property taxes it depends where you live here. My house is $200k and I pay $2K in taxes....so mine is worse than yours :cool: All I can say is stay away from the really good schools :lol: This is true especially on this side of the water. Yorktown has some of the rediculously priced housing in the area and the taxes are horrible. I believe Suffolk is the same way (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

All I can say is good luck when you get here....you can't go between any of the 7 cities without cross a bridge or going through a tunnel and nobody pays attention to the "keep up your speed" signs so the traffic is some of the worst on the east coast :lol: Since you said you lived in DC you should be used to this.....BUT at least in DC you can avoid the highway if you absulutely must, here you can't avoid bridge tunnels......lol.....it is the only way.

Anyways look forward to seeing you around. When will you guys be making your way down here?

On a side note you shouldmake it out to some of the meets in the area :D

I can't offer you any info as I live on the other side of the water and have no idea about housing on the southside. As far as property taxes it depends where you live here. My house is $200k and I pay $2K in taxes....so mine is worse than yours :cool: All I can say is stay away from the really good schools :lol: This is true especially on this side of the water. Yorktown has some of the rediculously priced housing in the area and the taxes are horrible. I believe Suffolk is the same way (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

All I can say is good luck when you get here....you can't go between any of the 7 cities without cross a bridge or going through a tunnel and nobody pays attention to the "keep up your speed" signs so the traffic is some of the worst on the east coast :lol: Since you said you lived in DC you should be used to this.....BUT at least in DC you can avoid the highway if you absulutely must, here you can't avoid bridge tunnels......lol.....it is the only way.

Anyways look forward to seeing you around. When will you guys be making your way down here?

Hey SubieChik,

Where do you guys meet in VA? I was thinking maybe one day I could stop on by and say hey! I frequent Reston and Herndon a lot.

Hey SubieChik,

Where do you guys meet in VA? I was thinking maybe one day I could stop on by and say hey! I frequent Reston and Herndon a lot.

We have meets on the Peninsula (Hampton, Newport News) on Tuesdays, and Southside (Portsmouth, Norfolk, VABeach) on Thursdays. It's quite a drive from NOVA though (about 3 hours). If you are ever in the area though let me know....I can let you know the time and place (we change locations every week so we don't get bored :lol:).

Oh that's cool! I'll keep in touch the next time the GF and I are down there. :)

Are you guys going up to the Mach V meet in Sterling? I know there is a caravan forming down in VA (I think as far as Richmond). I am going to try my hardest to go. Dan at Mach V really puts on one hell of a meet (runs a great shop to boot).

Oh that's cool! I'll keep in touch the next time the GF and I are down there. :)

Are you guys going up to the Mach V meet in Sterling? I know there is a caravan forming down in VA (I think as far as Richmond). I am going to try my hardest to go. Dan at Mach V really puts on one hell of a meet (runs a great shop to boot).

I really wanted to go but I don't think we are going to be able to make it :( I am due for one though. The last one I went to was back in '07 :lol:

LOL if I get the chance I will come out to meets. Everytime there's a meet up here I'm busy :( Right now we're still deciding between buying and renting. We're not sure if we'll be in the area for longer than 3 years but the benefits of renting vs buying will be the deciding factor. If we buy it will likely be in the Chesapeake/VA Beach area. Maybe Greenbrier.

Wooo, you are gonna be way down south, el5y! :lol:

I love it down in southern VA. Very great people, relaxed, less traffic (minus Richmond)... and best of all... CRACKER BARREL!!!!!

I beg to differ here. We are #18 on the list of worst commutes :lol: You guys up in DC would be #3 :eek: I've been to Richmond quite a few times and it is no way as bad as down here.

I haven't been on here for awhile. I'm selling and or renting my house in the Bayview section of Norfolk. It's about 5 min from I-64 but, it's not exactly in the areas you guys are looking at. It wouldn't be a bad commute just a little longer than you guys are looking at. Hopefully we'll see you at some meets soon.
If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

Archived