LegacyGT.com

Modded LGT + Spec B Owners Please Step Inside...

I’m at a standstill in my build right now and can’t decide on a direction. I need a little advice, please. What it comes down to is: stock locations turbo + TMIC vs. WRX/STi turbo + TMIC (I have a 2007 STi Manifold) vs. WRX/STi turbo + FMIC.

What am I looking for? Well, I’m 33 years old, came from a 300/328 whp/ wtq vf39’d 2006 WRX. My friend and I did all the mod installs ourselves, car is with its new owner and running like a champ. I’m relatively “car savvy” and will be doing the majority of the work myself. Realistically, I’m looking for something a little faster + more powerful, yet classy. A 350+ WHP Spec B would be nice! Currently I am running a stage 2 tune from Testes1010. Mods on the car now are a COBB turbo back exhaust (catted), COBB front and rear sways, COBB springs, Kartboy STS + front and rear bushings.

Accumulated parts, not installed:

Mad Dad EL Header, Perrin catless DP, up pipe, 38mm Tial Vband EWG dumped into DP (tommy penguin’s old setup), STi manifold, DW 750cc injectors, AVO 245 Fuel Pump, ‘04 STi Brembos, front and rear, STRI gauges in A pillar.

I’ve done lots of research in the 3+ years of modding Subarus so what I’m really looking for is opinions from people who have modded LGT’s and Spec B’s. I don’t need to hear, “do the research”. I’ve read almost every single one of Tommy Penguin’s threads related to his build, since I got parts from his previous setup. I also have read a lot about the guy from Colorado who had/has the STi manifold/APS TMIC on this board.

So I need to choose a turbo + intercooler now, which has been the hardest thing to pull the trigger on.

A Perrin FMIC + Blouch 20G will set me back close to $3,000 new and I don’t want to spend that much more on this car.

Suggestions?

Will a VF52 be any fun with this setup?

What’s the most inexpensive thing for me to do right now? :spin:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want this thing done by April.

The most inexpensive thing is to do nothing :lol:

The VF52 should be fun, depending on how you define "fun"

I am not sure what you are actually looking for so it is hard to give you a real answer. 350 whp is a nice number but most 350 whp Subarus are not "fun" to me, unless you are at the dragstrip or like to race on the highway.

there's a new FMIC out that retains the foglights/bumper beam that's going for around $1k

i'm partial to the VF52 because i like the power curve of that turbo better than others and do mostly city driving so i dont need massive top end hp, but that comes down to what kind of performance you're looking for (top end hp, faster spool, etc.) i may be wrong but im not sure if you can easily hit your 350whp goal with the 52 though.

The most inexpensive thing is to do nothing :lol:

The VF52 should be fun, depending on how you define "fun"

I am not sure what you are actually looking for so it is hard to give you a real answer. 350 whp is a nice number but most 350 whp Subarus are not "fun" to me, unless you are at the dragstrip or like to race on the highway.

Racing? Nope. Want something faster than my old car, that would be FUN for me. I love the Spec B. Best car I've owned so far, just want more out of it, power wise. Suspension is pretty dialed in COBB stuff + 235/40/18 Falken 452's, so it handles the way I want it to, it doesn't "pull" the way I want it to though. :confused:

there's a new FMIC out that retains the foglights/bumper beam that's going for around $1k

i'm partial to the VF52 because i like the power curve of that turbo better than others and do mostly city driving so i dont need massive top end hp, but that comes down to what kind of performance you're looking for (top end hp, faster spool, etc.) i may be wrong but im not sure if you can easily hit your 350whp goal with the 52 though.

Good to know. I was hoping with the EWG, that the VF52 would hold better boost to redline than the IWG. I do alot of city driving. This car only get driven on nice days/ weekends. It seems that a TD05 20G (the way its described) might be what I'm looking for. IDK...

Good to know. I was hoping with the EWG, that the VF52 would hold better boost to redline than the IWG. I do alot of city driving. This car only get driven on nice days/ weekends. It seems that a TD05 20G (the way its described) might be what I'm looking for. IDK...

see this thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115434 for the comparison charts of diff turbos. For how i drive and the roads i'm on daily i'm very rarely going to be above 5k rpms, and if i am only in 1st & 2nd gear im just not on long enough roads that often for the car to stretch its legs, so for me the VF52 is going to be my best "kick you in the ass feeling" choice.

but again if your ultimate goal is 350whp you might need supporting mods like meth to reach that with a 52.

I think for the 320-340 whp range you could get a AVO 380 turbo awesome turbo quick spool and perfect for tuning .

Yeah, but that turbo new is $1900.00. http://www.rallitek.com/le45tu1.html

VF52's are $1200. I wonder if there is a $700 difference between the two?[url=http://www.rallitek.com/le45tu1.html][/url]

I went from a Stage 2 VF-40, (same turbo bascially as a VF46) to a VF-52. Currently pushing 292 WHP/313 TQ on pump gas and a pretty conservative tune. To answer your question, yes definitely noticed a significant bump in power as well as pulling much harder to red line. I'm running the usual Stage 2 mods for this turbo but unlike your set up I'm 3" Perrin exhaust to stock mufflers and sticking with stock manifolds instead of headers. You're not going to hit 350 whp with the VF-52 unless you run meth and or E-85 fuel and that is still a bit of a stretch I think. That said, you should be able to easily surpass your WRX power levels with the addition of your better mufflers and headers. Power is subjective but I really like my VF-52 as a street turbo. It spools almost as quickly as the VF-40 without losing breath up top. A good anecdote to compare for you since you had a VF-39 before: After finishing up my ProTune at a Cobb facility, (Surgeline Tuning here in Portland), Tim Bailey commented that my set up really paired quite evenly to a properly set up stage II STi. Another thing I love about this turbo is its plug and play. No B.S., no hacking into an anything to get it to fit, just pull your VF-40, sell it for a few hundred bucks on the forum to offset the cost on your VF-52 and you're good to go.

Yeah, but that turbo new is $1900.00. http://www.rallitek.com/le45tu1.html

VF52's are $1200. I wonder if there is a $700 difference between the two?

Little Blue GT is selling a 380 for maybe $1200 I think... at least he was not to long ago...

I would look at used TMIC + Meth kit+ BnR's 20g wheel setup (under 1000) so all in under 2g. That should get you the setup u want. Not sure if the 18G would do it. Ask him.

this: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112489 (FMIC, he might have 1 kit left still from this initial buy)

+

this: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119177 (3 turbo options with stock turbo design)

however, with the FMIC you can run STi style turbos (as i'm sure you know)...but those turbo options allow you to run a TMIC as well (perrin, avo, others...). however if you're going to drop the cash on a TMIC try to find a used one in the classifieds. new ones cost as much as that FMIC linked above.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/rkatsev/IMG00020-20091120-2019.jpg

Did that a while ago on my 07 Spec B. A larger amount of turbo choices, as well as top mount intercoolers.

Everything will make power, its just how you want to make it and how you want to spend. If you're looking for something simple, stick with the LGT manifold, want something more out of the ordinary, swap the manifold.

-Roman

• 1 month later...
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/rkatsev/IMG00020-20091120-2019.jpg

Did that a while ago on my 07 Spec B. A larger amount of turbo choices, as well as top mount intercoolers.

Everything will make power, its just how you want to make it and how you want to spend. If you're looking for something simple, stick with the LGT manifold, want something more out of the ordinary, swap the manifold.

-Roman

Looks good. What TMIC is that? What issues did you run into during the manifold/TMIC swap?

• 1 month later...
manifold will bolt up.not sure if there really is a difference about the throttle body though

why dont you just go fmic?

I guess I could but I've purchased the STi manifold/throttle body so I was planning on going that route.

just asking

that's all

LOL. Its all good. If you have an "11 sec. Spec B", I'll listen to you. :lol: You have some advice for me? Parts accumulated are posted in the 1st post, I'd love to hear you opinion on what direction to take the car. I would like 350 whp/wtq.

Archived