LegacyGT.com

Mod friendly Smog Check places.

Dr.Chu

Hello folks.

Sold my car awhile back to a friend in Norcal.

I will keep it short... Old lady's smog check is coming up, first one ever. Does anyone know any smog places I could go to have it checked? The car won't pass regular smog check, if you know what I mean ;)

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

South Coast Subaru l Firestone of Rowland Heights l Yimi Sport l Koyorad

Stage 1 tune no problem.

Stage 2 tune with catless DP, you'll need to pay the man an extra few bills. Stage 2 tune will pass the sniffer, but if they do the visual, then it's a no go.

F1, any places in particular that I could go to that would allow me to pay a little extra and have it checked? I'm just afraid other places wouldn't even let me pay him extra. :S

South Coast Subaru l Firestone of Rowland Heights l Yimi Sport l Koyorad

If you're not going to swap back the smog equipment, such as the Catted DP and OEM air box, then you'll need to contact some of the local car enthusiasts for recommendations. Some of the family own smog shops are a little eaiser than the big chain shops.

If you take your car in "as is", it's a 50/50 shot of passing, some shops will look, some will not. A shop that I go to will only look under the car if the numbers are high, if the numbers are low then he said there's no need to check, since the car is within spec. I'm not saying that every shop will do this, you'll just need to ask around from the other locals.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 4 months later...
Good luck. Gone are the good old days of $50 for a pass. I'm going back at least 25 years!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 2 weeks later...
My turn this week....yay.

On a side note, might be up for sale soon...

WooHoo! It passed!

Stage 2 w/gutted OE DP, Autospeed catback and AVO panel filter. They didnt even bat an eyelash at the car. Put out about half of the idle-max HC ppm's and just over a tenth at 2500rpm.

Was nervous about it, but when I pulled in there was a heavily modified Mustang Cobra and a '60's Chevy Nova parked out back lol. Figured I picked the right place haha.

• 4 months later...

To resurrect this thread:

Did anyone actually have a place in the bay area that would be kind to a catless DP? I just bought a TT-RS with full turbo-back aftermarket. I could either replace the downpipe with the original for like $500, or ...

To resurrect this thread:

Did anyone actually have a place in the bay area that would be kind to a catless DP? I just bought a TT-RS with full turbo-back aftermarket. I could either replace the downpipe with the original for like $500, or ...

Do the swap and swap back...not worth the headache.

So many places are scared these days to do anything.

I wanted a straight pipe and the guy I went to said he was recently fined $1500. He wasn't going to do it again.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Fines are stiff so most aren’t going to play like the old days any longer. Go back to stock HW and stage 1 tune it will pass. Big question is if the new ECU only test on the horizon will pick up modified parameters from base map, I'm suspecting yes.

Archived