LegacyGT.com

Misfire - Bad Fuel?

I realize that there are dozens of threads about rough idles, but I still have questions and feel the need to vent. After about 20K miles, my car started to shake at warm idle. Not a rough idle, but a noticable shake. The shake is fairly minor occurs at irregular intervals usually a few seconds apart. It's bad enough that passengers can feel it.

Last week I got a CEL. I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed a misfire. They checked the plug from the cylinder that was causing the problem and noticed it was fouled. They cleaned it up and put it back in. They also said something about switching some injectors around. They reset the ECU and gave it back to me. They said the problem was bad fuel which isn't covered under warranty and charged me $160 for the service.

I use 93 octane Shell V-power fuel exclusively. I have their credit card, so I save 5%. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother. Given that, I find it very unlikely that bad fuel is the cause of the problem.

After getting the car back with the ECU reset, the car idled smooth as glass. It was under 1/4 tank when I took it in, so I went to a Mobile station and filled it up, again with 93 octane fuel.

It's been a couple days now and the shake is back. I know some people call this a rough idle and say it's normal, and indeed it seems like a ton of people have it, but it's not a consistant roughness. It's fine for a few seconds, then a shake, then fine again. Over and over. A rough idle should be rough consistantly. It really feels like continuous misfires.

So any opinions on this. Is the shake normal and the misfire unrelated? Could it actually be a fuel problem? My WRX didn't shake like this and if this car can idle smooth for the first 20K miles, and after an ECU reset, then start shaking again, is this normal?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just took the wagon in for this occasional rough idle symptom, it's at just over 36k, of course, and no CEL or code in the ECU. The dealership said bad gas, which I doubt, so now I'll keep an injector checkup in mind. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty. I'm in the middle of troubleshooting my own misfire issue and wanted to lay out what I've done so far.

1st, its an 05 LGT with ~76k miles on it. Started throwing misfire codes on cylinders 1 & 3. Replaced plugs and it seemed to improve a bit, but cylinder 3 started throwing misfires again semi regularly.

Note, when I changed the plugs cyl 2 and 4 (driver side) looked pretty good, but cyl 1 and 3 looked a little sooty and smelled STRONGLY of fuel.

Since I've replaced the plugs, and I'm just getting a cyl 3 misfire now, I was thinking of swapping the #3 injector with the #4 injector (one I've never had a code for) and seeing if the problem moves. This should tell me pretty quick if it is an injector problem right?

Does the fuel smell on those 2 plugs give any clue? Could it be a fuel rail issue? Wires? Anyone had an issue with coil caps?

Anyway. Just looking for some experienced advice. I'm starting to think its an injector issue, but I want a way to narrow it down on my own since I'm out of warranty.

thanks,

csl

sgeorge, I will let you know. I would just like some feedback from someone that's more of a gear-head than I as to whether swapping the injectors for troubleshooting purposes is a good idea.

Also I'm interested to hear comment on whether anyone else has noticed the strong fuel smell on the plugs of misfiring cylinders. Also, what does that mean? Does it maybe indicate that we aren't getting enough fire in the cylinder to burn all the fuel, or does it mean the injector is swamping it with too much fuel??

-csl

I changed the plugs and swapped the possible bad injector to another cylinder. No check engine light yet.. I give it another day and then i bet it comes back. Pulls so much harder..

P.S. before you swap the injector bleed the pressure off....i forgot to and anything i drank for about an hour tasted like gas.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived