LegacyGT.com

Methods for storing tires for winter?

SubiGT

Anyone know the best way to store a set of tires/wheels? I have my summer 18's and my stock 17's for winter, and I want to take care of the off set while they are sitting for the season. Air in/out? On ground/wood/cardboard, etc? Never been able to afford two sets before, so this is a new experience for me.

Thanks.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I keep them fully inflated and carefully stack them in the garage so that the sidewalls stack on top of each other and then I cover it with a piece of black plastic to minimize UV exposure.

Most rubbers and plastics are susceptible to degradation from UV and ozone exposure. It probably won't matter with your summer tires since you'll replace them every 1-2 years but my winter tires tend to last a long time since I use them so infrequently.

UV exposure? You guys have roofless garages?

I have windows in my garage and they're right next to where I store my wheels.

I work with structural carbon fiber. Our customer limits the acceptable UV exposure time so we had to measure it in the factory. There wasn't that much natural light in the factory, but the UV was high enough that we had to cover all the CF with black plastic.

I have windows in my garage and they're right next to where I store my wheels.

I work with structural carbon fiber. Our customer limits the acceptable UV exposure time so we had to measure it in the factory. There wasn't that much natural light in the factory, but the UV was high enough that we had to cover all the CF with black plastic.

Really? Shows you what I don't know. I never would have guessed.

It is still ugly.

From http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=93

Are there any specific precautions to take when storing winter or summer tires?

Follow these few rules and your tires will remain in perfect condition throughout their service life.

• If your tires are stored mounted on wheels, keep them inflated to a pressure of 15 PSI (1 bar).
  • Ideally, do not store them in an upright position, but stack them laying flat on their side. If this is impossible, leave them upright and rotate them about once a month to prevent the formation of a flat spot.
  • Protect them with plastic bags thick or dark enough to protect the tires from ambient light.
  • Avoid extreme temperatures and humidity. Above all, refrain from storing them outside, where they will likely be subjected to temperature swings and high humidity.
  • Do not leave them on a moist or greasy floor; isolate them with a wooden plank.
  • Keep them at least two meters away from electric motors and radiators. These devices generate ozone which oxidizes tire rubber and deteriorates the tires.

• 1 year later...

I stored my summers on the garage floor. Stacked - fairly well aligned with the rubbers on each other. Went to mount them yesterday - and am left with a 'hum' and vibration on driving ? 80 km/hr. Took them into Canadian Tire to have them rebalanced and they said that I probably warped the tire by stacking it and should have kept it stored upright?

Never heard this before.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Holy crap...

I'm glad to see that someone has a rational sense of perspective.

Every automobile forum I've read gets into this "issue," and all of the "rules" get repeated over and over. And they defy common sense. Like the arguments for pure nitrogen in tires, normal passenger car tire use just doesn't justify all this compulsiveness.

For crying out loud -- if you were using the tires, instead of storing them: they'd be out in the sun; they'd be getting flexed in all sorts of harsh ways; they'd be getting grease and oil on them; all-in-all, they'd be getting the crap beat out of them. And they'd do just fine -- that's what tires are all about, toughness.

Compared to that, any way you store them is just fine. The only way to keep them "in perfect condition throughout their service life" is not to use them at all; hell, don't even buy them in the first place. You'll wear the treads out long before they suffer environmental damage from being stored lying down or something.

And find something else that more important to worry about, like, oh, whether to put a turbonator on your intake. :p HPH

Archived