LegacyGT.com

Megan CB On An OBXT

Grumpy

Installed a Megan Racing cb system on my 2005 OBXT today, and for those of you who are thinking about one here are a few observations:

It is not loud, period. It is very mellow until you get on it and then it growls. Nice burble while cruising, no popping when decelerating, a bit of droan in the cabin with windows up, but not unpleasant.

Quality is very good. Everything fits as it should, for the sedan it was designed for. The mounting points for the OBXT are the same, but as some have commented you do have to use longer hangers for the mufflers. What no one has apparently run into is installing one on a wagon with a hitch. It is a bit of a bitch trying to align the mufflers, with the longer hangers, while trying to twist the hangers to clear the hitch (mine is the SOA hitch). It can be done, but would be easier up on a lift. I had to use those rubber strap type hangers with the spaced holes. Looks crummy when you get up close, but unnoticeable from the back or sides.

DO NOT LET TIPS TOUCH BUMPER. I snugged the right muffler up a bit to much, tips bearly touching the bumper, and IT MELTS THE BUMPER. My fault, but for you OBXT guys just be aware where the final fitment is. Another menber cut the bumper on his OBXT to clear the tips and rather than cutting the tips off and welding turndown tips on as was my original plan, I'm gonna trim my bumper a bit to clear the tips.

Will take a couple of photos when I get both mufflers aligned--still a bit of tweaking to do.

For you OBXT guys who are thinking of doing a cb swap, go for it with one of the systems out there cause no one's gonna make one for us.

Grumpy :icon_mad:

Its working out Boostjunkie. I'm still stock as far as dp and up, which is why its probably as quiet as it is until I get on the throttle. My OBXT is an auto, and I use the sport mode often. There's a definate boost in acceleration (seat of pants dino) in 2-3-4 gears, but then it could just be the exhaust note. As everyone knows, louder exhaust=more power. All in all very happy with it. Thanks for talking me out of the Borla system Boostjunkie.

Grumpy

OK, heres a few photos, Megan CB on my 2005 OBXT.

Grumpy :icon_mad: [

ATTACH]31966[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31967[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31968[/ATTACH]

Lookin' good Grumpy. The only thing you did was use longer hangers right? Did you extend the tips or are they as shipped?

The only thing I did was use longer hangers. Just before I took these pics, I switched the hangers from the strap type with 5-6 spaced holes to an elongated oval hanger with holes spaced 3'' apart. It seemed to align em pretty good. Tips are the Megan tips, not extended. I was going to ask you, Boostjunkie if I should use the flat gasket to connect the resonator pipe to the down pipe, but I used the donut gasket that was there instead. This may be why the tips look longer on mine as the donut gasket is MUCH thicker than the flat gasket.

In any case, it works, no leaks, and I havent experienced any rattling--about 1" clearence between resonator pipe and the heat shield.

Grumpy

The only thing I did was use longer hangers. Just before I took these pics, I switched the hangers from the strap type with 5-6 spaced holes to an elongated oval hanger with holes spaced 3'' apart. It seemed to align em pretty good. Tips are the Megan tips, not extended. I was going to ask you, Boostjunkie if I should use the flat gasket to connect the resonator pipe to the down pipe, but I used the donut gasket that was there instead. This may be why the tips look longer on mine as the donut gasket is MUCH thicker than the flat gasket.

In any case, it works, no leaks, and I havent experienced any rattling--about 1" clearence between resonator pipe and the heat shield.

Grumpy

If you don't have any leaks I'd just leave it alone. I usually have better luck getting a good seal with a flat gasket, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.:icon_wink

I agree, but since there's no alternative, I'll live with it. It's really not to bad, and is only really noticable from bumper level. I went with the flowmaster route a year ago and was never really happy with it--looked crummy. I supposed I could have gone with one of the systems with small round mufflers but I wanted a quieter system. Your in the same boat as me with your OBXT--gotta make due with whats out there.

Grumpy

Archived