LegacyGT.com

Medal trim pedals (STi, WRX) good?

Guest turboman

Guest turboman

Something I've never read before, but happened to me... If you live where there is snow in the Winter I'd think twice before going through a lot of trouble to get those pretty, racey metal trimmed pedals.

On several occasions in the Winter when my feet were slushy they slipped off the clutch pedal at the wrong time. Luckily I didn't hit anything but I sure could have. The pedals get as slippery as an ice cube when your shoe soles are wet and cold. When you're Winter driving in stop & go heavy traffic worrying your clutch foot might slide off the pedal is a bummer. :eek::mad:

Just wanted you to know what to expect.

Very good post, very, very true.

Some time scuffing-up the pads will help. My 11-year old set of RAZO drilled-aluminum ones (which I've taken to 3 cars with me, now) were very slippery years one and two, but are now completely non-slippery.

I'll be adding grip-tape to the wifey's new set of eBay "WRX" pedal covers come this winter.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My dads S2k has the metal pedals with rubber knobs on them, my feet have slipped off them when they were wet many times. I won't get them on my LGT because of that, also one more reason not to drive the S2k in the rain.

I've had metal pedals for 10 years in Utah winters and I've never had my feet slip off the pedals. As long as they have rubber grips on them they seem to work out fine for me. The cars I have been driving had very close pedals and my shoes are wide, so maybe that had something to do with it?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the thread!!! I started a thread with that specific concern and everybody said there was no problem, and not to worry about it. I was actually just looking for a set I'd like when I came across your thread. Big ups on the heads up.

-Tom

I dunno, we got some really heavy rain (inches at a time) this past winter and I took the car to the snow. The STI pedals have the pink nibs on them and my feet never slipped once, even with lugged boots which are notorious for slipping and sliding on metal pedals.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I was always leery of metal pedals. On my last car, the PO put on metal pedals with the holes. I was surprised to find that they worked better for me in wet & snow that rubber pads.

I ordered them on the LGT, and they worked fine through last winter, with numerous days of wearing lugged work boots.

Ron

rubber pads on metal pedals helps for grip, but I can understand why so many race cars use straight metal pads.. it's all for the need for slipping your foot along the pedal surface for easier input control.. this reduces full leg (thigh and calf muscle) fatigue when racing.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived