LegacyGT.com

MBC as restrictor pill?

wbrawley

Hi, I just recently switched from a VF40 to a VF52. Target boost is 16.5 psi from Stage 2 tune but I am only getting 9 psi.

I believe the VF52 normally uses 2 restrictor pills. So, should I be able to use a MBC on the wastegate side of the T to control it opening too soon?

Or you could just cap off the stock EBC controller, run the line from the Turbo to MBC to Wastegate. Keep the stock line capped of and you'll be fine for a while.

My 16g has a 13psi wastegate, thus I didn't bother wiring in the stock EBC into it, and have been running wastegate only for two years.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 weeks later...

What you are proposing might work, if you tune for it. If you're not tuning the ECU as you make these kinds of changes, you're just rolling the dice.

I ran my MBC with the stock BCS in series, and tuned it to eliminate taper. Now I'm running the MBC with an aftermarket BCS in parallel to eliminate the part-throttle-full-boost problem that comes with MBC-only setups. So I'm all about creative boost control configurations...

But if I was in your place I'd just ditch the stock BCS and add the MBC in the normal way, as covertrussian suggested. But the ECU still needs to be tuned for whatever boost curve you get from the MBC.

What you are proposing might work, if you tune for it. If you're not tuning the ECU as you make these kinds of changes, you're just rolling the dice.

I ran my MBC with the stock BCS in series, and tuned it to eliminate taper. Now I'm running the MBC with an aftermarket BCS in parallel to eliminate the part-throttle-full-boost problem that comes with MBC-only setups. So I'm all about creative boost control configurations...

But if I was in your place I'd just ditch the stock BCS and add the MBC in the normal way, as covertrussian suggested. But the ECU still needs to be tuned for whatever boost curve you get from the MBC.

Thanks NSFW, just using the cheap MBC to diagnose a problem. Ended up being the installer lost the restrictor pill inside the hose; even though he said it was a faulty wastegate. Put in a 1mm and was able to boost to 18+psi. Now, I'm ready for a tune...

Archived