LegacyGT.com

Matte Black stock LGT wheels

Well today I bit the bullet and painted my stockers matte black, Ive been doing a lot of research of people using Plasti Dip and I am now a believer.

No sanding at all, just cleaned with soap and water and got to spraying, I've painted a lot of stock wheels in my day with just a rattle can and this stuff is by far the easiest/best looking product I ever used.

If you spay a little to much in one area instead of it bubbling and then running it just flattens itself out and stays perfect. The best part about Plasti Dip is if I ever want to remove it all I need to do is rip it off like a sticker.

While I was waiting for my wheels to dry my buddy painted a old rusty grill in his garage and it looked awesome, 4 hours later he peeled the paint off like a sticker and the under coat looked like it was never touched!!

Enough ranting, here are 3 pics I took with my iPhone 4 using the camera+ app to edit the pics (I need to throw some engine enamel on my calipers I know)

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/matteblack3.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/matteblack2.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/matteblack.jpg

Feedback/constructive criticism only please

Thanks for looking! :cool:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! I live in SC no one gets bothered for tints down here its so hot, even in Chicago I never got hassled. It is the WRX eBay lip cut to fit, and I am lowered on tein s techs

Thats nice. Was the lip difficult to cut? And how did you manage to make your front chrome grill into black? Is there a guide on this forum to do it?

Thanks! I live in SC no one gets bothered for tints down here its so hot, even in Chicago I never got hassled. It is the WRX eBay lip cut to fit, and I am lowered on tein s techs

lucky you..i got a ticket while i was parked at school downtown for tinted windows and had to argue it because they are legal...

looks nice!!

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

That looks AWESOME! Your car is totally sick! I have been wanting to paint my rims, but the fear of screwing up/not being able to change them back has stopped me, this stuff is genius and I can't wait to try it! (This week for sure if I have time)

Any tips for a TOTAL newbie? (I also want to do my grille but thats pretty self explanatory)

Anyone had it on long enough to know how well it holds up? I assume if it chips at all, just peel / redo or can you just spray overtop of it?

perry- exactly just peel off a redo, a guy on youtube painted his rocker bars on his truck then brought a point blank pressure washer to it and it held up fine.

The only info I can give you is nice even coats and dont glob it on, watch some you tube vids to get a idea of what to do. make sure you tape off the valve stem and use a deck of cards to place in between the wheel and tire so you do not spray the tire.

snowdrift- Home depot carrys it but they where out by me so I went a bought it at lowes. It comes in non spray can and a dip in can make sure you buy the spray can. It is sold in the spray paint isle

perry- exactly just peel off a redo, a guy on youtube painted his rocker bars on his truck then brought a point blank pressure washer to it and it held up fine.

The only info I can give you is nice even coats and dont glob it on, watch some you tube vids to get a idea of what to do. make sure you tape off the valve stem and use a deck of cards to place in between the wheel and tire so you do not spray the tire.

snowdrift- Home depot carrys it but they where out by me so I went a bought it at lowes. It comes in non spray can and a dip in can make sure you buy the spray can. It is sold in the spray paint isle

I have been wanting to do that, too. How many coats did you spray? What about the back part of the rim (inside)? Did you spray just the front and let some overspray get in there, or flip the wheel over and spray the backside?

as far as the grille goes, there are 6 screws, 2 popits and 4 clips holding it in (on my 08). I used 8 coats of plastic spray paint, chipped immediatly. I then wet sanded and used 2 coats of plasti dip in the spray can and it has held up fine since then (2 months ago)

Hm I got a hand full of buddies that plati dip'ed wheels,grills,lips,ect without sanding and they are still intact.

Sanding it will just defeat the purpose of the plasti dip, which is being able to remove it whenever you want and go back to stock

you do not need to take your bumper off. If may ease the un/re-installation, but it is not necessary. All you need is a stubby phillips head and the ability to squeeze your hand between the top of the grille and the radiator support. Careful of the hood latch because it will cut you

How long have you had this done for? I did my wheels with plasti-dip and it held up well with careful cleaning for about 4 months. Then in a horrible rainstorm mixed with a 4 hour highway drive, ripped the pasti-dip off. I'd say for a temporary change, the stuff is amazing. But anything longer you'd be pushing your luck.

Archived