LegacyGT.com

How many problems have you had with your Subaru?

rust rust rust. and well exhaust but thats casued by rust and i got a small coolent leak.

axles....

spark plugs

wheel gearing

tire studs

warpped rotors...

brakes pades caught fire.

slow air leaks

rust

dent in fender from when i tree fell on it

brake fluid leak(casued by rust)

the car decided to do some rolls one day...all is well

headlights are sun stained

sway bar snapped

god i love these car. i love fixing them up and driving them to the ground and then beefing up what i break..... i do this to everything i have.... by the end i have something that can handle me.

ahh...subaru... well time for ps3 and driving my soupped up evo cause my game has to subarus.... got like a 756whp evo hahaha when it look like a suby and handle

98 Outback here and the car is ridiculously reliable. It's freaking weird. Car has 23...4,000 miles as of today, and hasn't seen the dealership for anything other than tires in like 20,000 miles or something. I did replace the brakes, MAF and IACV myself though. Seriously, though, this car just doesn't break - it's crazy.

Bought my Legacy with 166k miles on it. It now has 187k and the only time it died on me was a plugged injector. When I bought it, it needed an ABS sensor and rear brakes right away. Since it's just got a tune up, rear struts, a battery and starter (other than the injectors.)

The RS on the other hand. The first 25k miles I had it were relatively problem-free (headgaskets under warranty ftw!) Now random CEL's are irritating me.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/SayingSorry1988/subaru1.jpg

took 4 grand to get it going again, got some small things to take care of but it runs good now and i finally tested wat i get outta a full tank, 320 miles for a full tank which is great

I don't get that good of gas mileage but I do more in town driving. Currently I get about 270 miles for a tank. During the summer I get 300. Driving on the highway I get in between 300 and 400 miles. I'll let you know this fall when I'm driving 600 miles a week for college!

1997 GT Wagon 5spd

179,000 miles

I got the car for cheap about two years ago but it was BEAT hard. Besides, brakes, rotors, etc:

• ABS pump
  • Fuel pump(out of 50+ Subarus in our family since 1984, this was the only car that had a fuel pump die. Very noisy for probably 30,000 miles. I ran it like that for so long, I thought, or hoped, maybe it was just noisy LOL. One day, stutter...stutter...stutter...kaput.)
  • one front axle
  • shifter knuckle for ultra-excessive shifter play
  • head gaskets at around 160,000(had everything else done at that time- timing belt, water pump, oil pump seal, rear breather seal, everthing else associated with taking heads off...happened 20 miles after the coolant system was "power flushed"
  • 2 out of 4 window controls broke-just the plastic taps that hold them into the door panel, not the actual controls.
  • Cracked coil pack-likes to miss for the first few seconds of driving if the car sat in the rain long enough, but after that, works find :)

That's it. Needs a few things like all the bushings up front, new struts and mounts, 02 sensor, a small bit of rust starting in the usual place behind the rear wheel well, etc., but other then that, no major problems.

I plan on getting a new alternator for it since this one was replaced under a recall long ago, but the reman. one now has over 100k on it so I don't totally trust it on long trips. And I would like to pick up another MAF just to keep in the back, just in case.

IIRC the one time I tried to see how far I could go on a tank on the drive from Virginia to New Jersey I got around 400 miles before I stopped for gas, and I'm sure I could have cone further. And that's uphill, so on the return trip I'm sure I could get at least 600.

1996 is that the first year they made the outback? makes me wonder if it could be first year model problems? i have alittle newer 2000 wagon and so far love it.

Not sure,but I think that 95 was the first year for the Outhouse,I mean Outback.

hmm:

new tires

new alternator

new timing belt/water pump/thermostat

boneyard 2.2 air intake system (had a 2.5 one hooked up and it was "squeaking". long story)

new brakes/rotors

new plugs

new headlights/somewhat new fogs (cleaned them up!!!)

redone leather panels inside (previous owner must've had knives or pointy things she liked to carry around in her car)

new driveshaft

new wheel bearing

another driveshaft problem=regreased and sealed boot

struggling with overheating, but hasn't happened over the winter. worried about the summer :/

also worried about transmission; might be on her way out

with all this said, I got the car pretty beat to hell. so I knew what I was getting into, and I loved every minute of it :) once those parts were replaced (besides the stupid cv joint) they haven't given me any trouble KNOCK ON WOOD

my ultimate goal is to have the legacy after college and drive for as long as I can. hopefully ten years down the road I'll still be on the forum for my 98 gt!

A lady came into Safeway today and I helped her out with her groceries. She has a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited that she bought new and she now has 27,000 miles on it. She only drives it around town and she has driven to Seattle once or twice.

Archived