LegacyGT.com

How many fill oil filter before putting it on car?

Do you fill your oil filter before putting it on turbo'd cars?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fill your oil filter before putting it on turbo'd cars?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have my oil changed somewhere else, and dont know if they do or not.

I was just wondering if anyone does this.. I read somewhere that your turbo will run without oil for a brief amount of time if you dont do this. Or can anyone negate that this happens. I need to look in my manual again and see if it was in there..

Oh, this is also a thread to inform people as well that I believe it is a valuable idea to fill the oil filter before putting it on your car if you have a turbo'd car.

Yes, just another reason to do your own oil changes cause almost all shops won't take the time to do it. Of course there are plenty of cars that it doesn't work for.

This is one nice advantage of the straight up/ down filter. By filling this before installation it minimizes the time of low oil pressure.

Im told that most of the wear comes in the first few minutes of startup. Thats the idea behing a prelube pump for startup.

Just got back from the suby dealership... apparently they are having a big mark down on oil filters so I bought a bunch along with crush washers to go along with the them:) Don't know if this is a subaru mark down or mark down in just this store.......

I don't fill it up with oil. but thats only because the 3.0R's oil filter mounts sideways and not vertical.

Its just on turbo models that you should fill the oil filter so that the turbo isnt starved of oil while the filter doesnt have any oil in it. It takes a few minutes to fill the filter with oil if its empty according to what I read.

Just got back from the suby dealership... apparently they are having a big mark down on oil filters so I bought a bunch along with crush washers to go along with the them:) Don't know if this is a subaru mark down or mark down in just this store.......

Man I hope its a mark down through out NY. My Oil change is due.

I always made the assumption that after putting the filter on, when pouring the oil into the engine, the filter would fill up. I always thought that the oil passes through the filter before getting all the way down to the oil pan. Correct my assumptions if I am wrong.

I also have been under the impression that the stock subaru oil filters are basically as good as you can get. I know you can get a larger M1 filter or another brand, but everything I have read on this site has led me to believe that the stock filters are more than adequate.

I always made the assumption that after putting the filter on, when pouring the oil into the engine, the filter would fill up. I always thought that the oil passes through the filter before getting all the way down to the oil pan. Correct my assumptions if I am wrong.

Absolutely positively wrong. :spin:

You should do it on every car, not just turbo. Secondly, the filters are too small, therefore are a larger micron rating. The system I put on filters down to 2 microns. I know my turbo will live much longer due to that fact. Use the stock one if you want, but I sure won't. Even a larger one I wouldn't use unless you don't plan to keep your car for the long haul. I highly recommend the bypass system.

Archived