LegacyGT.com

How many cross shopped the MazdaSpeed6? what REALLY pulled you to subie?

AKSubie

Well, as the title states, I am curious what made you decide on the scoob over the mazda, if perchance you were cross shopping the speed6 with a REGULAR Legacy GT (or rather non spec B).

I have searched high and low here, and high and low on the mazda boards, I have driven both an 06 spec B (closest the dealer had to a 07 LGT LTD) and a 07 MS6. I liked the styling, handling and features of the mazda a little over the legacy, but like some other styling cues of the legacy and its aftermarket support more than the mazda. I've compared them on edmunds (for actual features/specs) and they are fairly identical, one has inch more width, other is longer, yada yada, nearly twins from a different mother. There have been those found the rears seats DO fold on the MS6, so folding rear seats are not THAT big an issue for me now.

Dealer wise, my mazda dealer here has about 7 on the lot of the speed6's, while the subie dealer is fresh out of manual LGT's, although is talking to the manager to see if they can do the dealer stock trade or whatever its called to get me the color I want. (or rather a manual 07 in general). Pricing even going out of state woudl make the MS6 and LGT on par.

SOOooooo, I need hard evidence, hard reasons why those you chose the LGT over the MS6. on paper and in person to me they are dead nutz even to each other... just whether you like red hair or blonde, ya know?

Easy answer for me: The Speed6 didn't exist when I bought my Legacy. However, I'd still choose the legacy based on looks, reputation and aftermarket support. Besides, to beat a dead horse, TMIC without a scoop? That's a great idea!

No Mazdaspeed 6 wagon... That killed it for me.

Plus, Subaru AWD and reliability and re-sale factors in higher than Mazda.

And, When I think of Mazda 6's, all I can think is that there is a Ford Fusion or something equally crappy hiding underneath... no thanks.

And, the aftermarket support in our cars is huge now, and the WRX trickle-down effect has been great for the Legacy.

And, the brand status in my mind is 'cooler'. When I think of Mazda I think of all the 6 million Protege5's and Mazda 3's running around my streets all day long. When I think of Subaru I think of rally championships and WRX turbo goodness.

Sure, Mazda made cool cars like the RX-7, but it just isn't the same...

And..... I think that's it....

Well, you can't forget about the Mazda 787B that won Le Mans. Le Mans > WRC...even to a diehard subie fan like myself.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/787Blarge.jpg/800px-787Blarge.jpg

Of course, that has very little to do with modern Mazdas since they only have one wankel in their model lineup and it isn't the car in question;)

Ya, I love the rotary but sure wish it had more punch (and i lived in a warmer climate).

Thanks for the link, I know I have found that the rear seats do fold down on the speed6, albeit with a brace still in the way. And I am leaning heavily on the legacy side just from my past experience with my legacy and the aforementioned aftermarket support for the subie.

Personally the styling is good on both vehicles, just whether I want the hot red head or the toned athletic brunette.

Well, you can't forget about the Mazda 787B that won Le Mans. Le Mans > WRC...even to a diehard subie fan like myself.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/787Blarge.jpg/800px-787Blarge.jpg

Of course, that has very little to do with modern Mazdas since they only have one wankel in their model lineup and it isn't the car in question;)

Still the only Japanese manufacturer to have won 24 HLM

They even produced a special edition Miata to commemorate the win:

http://www.mx-5.net/mx5germany/www.mx5-germany.de/lemans1.jpg

1. I was looking for the Auto tranny. Daily driver, did' feel like shifting all the time.

2. My Subaru dealer. It is very hard finding salesmen that you actually like and trust.

3. It's a Subaru. I am positive it will take almost any abuse that I can dish out.

Easy answer for me: The Speed6 didn't exist when I bought my Legacy. However, I'd still choose the legacy based on looks, reputation and aftermarket support. Besides, to beat a dead horse, TMIC without a scoop? That's a great idea!

Same here.

The Speed6 wasn't on the market when I was shopping for a car. Since my good friend owns a Mazda 6s, I was already familiar with the vehicle and it was one of my choices. However, I wasn't too keen on owning a vehicle so similar to that of my friend.

No Mazdaspeed 6 wagon... That killed it for me.

Plus, Subaru AWD and reliability and re-sale factors in higher than Mazda.

And, When I think of Mazda 6's, all I can think is that there is a Ford Fusion or something equally crappy hiding underneath... no thanks.

And, the aftermarket support in our cars is huge now, and the WRX trickle-down effect has been great for the Legacy.

And, the brand status in my mind is 'cooler'. When I think of Mazda I think of all the 6 million Protege5's and Mazda 3's running around my streets all day long. When I think of Subaru I think of rally championships and WRX turbo goodness.

Sure, Mazda made cool cars like the RX-7, but it just isn't the same...

And..... I think that's it....

+1 Almost took the words right outta my mouth!

The fake chrome exaust tips on the Mazda is a real turn-off. They're trying to hide 2 tiny pea-shooter exhaust tips inside there. Attention to detail seems to be lacking on the Mazda.

Aren't the exhaust tips on the LGT fake chrome jobs that are bigger than the actual exhaust pipe?

Anyway, the MS6 had been announced when I bought my car but it wasn't available. Plus, I wanted a wagon.

What sorta motor is in the speed6.. some kinda furd volvo crap??

MZR 2.3L DISI. The MZR is designed by Mazda but Ford also uses them. They are call Duratec in Fords. The 2.3L DISI used in MS6 is actually a very advanced design with direct injection.

I don't get all the sniping at Mazda. Subaru makes some great stuff and all but Mazda gets a lot of credit for being a more adventorous manufacturer. The RX7 and (especially) Miata were real milestones. Also, it's a real shame the MS3 didn't come with AWD (which the platform supports) because it would have been fantastic if it had. Now it's merely good.

speed6 drives like a boat

+1^

2) And, I think the MS6 has a FWD biased AWD system, which is something I will never own.

3) Mazda dealerships wouldn't go down a penny under sticker, so I checked autotrader and got a slightly used LGT for $17k!!!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Archived